Author Topic: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!  (Read 22248 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
This is after the par bake. The bubbles are a little smaller than my last two pies.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »
Topped and ready to bake. I used Italian sausage, mozz, mushrooms, black olives, and diced tomatoes.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
I baked the pie at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes. I've just removed it from the oven.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »
Nice crispy slices with a little lamination.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »
Good browning on the bottom. This was one of my best so far, and I wanted to keep eating it. But. I thought the leftovers would make for a great breakfast.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:49:17 PM by nick57 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »
That looks really good Nick...you are making some nice pies in this style, to be sure!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
Hey, now wait just a darn minute .... you didn't save me a slice!

Looks great !!!

:pizza: :chef:
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »
Thanks! I tried using more oil as I was going along in this thread. I seem like the last amount of oil I used in my last pie. Though, I've been thinking about cutting Crisco into the dough instead of oil. I've seen on the forum that it might make for a more flaky crust. I also saw an America's Test Kitchen where they made a Chicago style deep dish pizza that was flaky. They rolled the dough out into a square and spread room temp butter on it. The dough was then rolled up like a Cinnamon roll, the cut in half and shaped into a ball. When it was rolled out and cooked, it had lots of layers that were flaky.
So, I think I will try this when I make my next pie. I'll post the results on this thread. Now, I am off for some leftover pizza, yummy!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »
I believe that is a French technique for making puff pastry...filo dough too?

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
It's like making pie dough also. Except that in pie dough the butter is not spread onto the dough but rather thin pieces of butter are placed between the layers of the dough. My last pizza, was not like pie crust, but I think if I had used more oil it would have had that texture. I think I have reached the limit for pizza crust, and if I used more oil it may be more like a real pie crust. Not what I was looking for. I don't think I can achieve the crust I am looking for using a home oven and store bought ingredients, but I am happy with what I have come up with so far. My friends and tasters love it, and it is better than the thin crust pizzas I can get in T town. Learning things that the Master pie makers have shared on this forum, I can make a pie that I can look forward to making and eating. My heartfelt thanks to them for sharing and their kindness in helping newcomers in learning the ropes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:12:26 PM by nick57 »

Offline Jimmy V

• I Love Pizza / Fishing/ and Drag Racing.
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »
Nick.. can you post the ingredients in  Oz.  table spoons, teaspoons etc.   ?

Offline GardenPizza

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
Nick, you are an individual after my own heart - pizza for breakfast, yes!!!

By the way, great trick for reheating pizza (for breakfast or otherwise) if you haven't already tried it....  Place a slice of leftover cold pizza in a non-stick pan (I love Swiss Diamond for this) on lowest stove heat.  Cover with a lid slightly ajar.  Check it after 5 or so minutes and voila, perfectly restored pizza as great as the night before. 

I am going to have to try the 3.25T oil variation next.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
Yes. I need to try that. I usually reheat in the stove. I have heard that using a pan instead of the oven helps in keeping the crust crisper than in the oven. I have noticed that reheating in the oven the the crust is not as crisp as the day before. Of course a cold slice of pizza sometimes hits the spot. I think my next experiment I will use butter and create several layers by rolling and folding the dough. I like how my last pie turned out, but I think this would be fun to try. My first try at pizza was Neapolitan. I found the Forno Bravo website and I was on my way to pizza heaven. Of course I don't have a WFO, and my oven only gets to 550 degrees, but I learned a lot. I don't remember how I got to this forum, but it was the luckiest day of my life. I am a pizza junkie, and proud of it.

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »
Yes. I need to try that. I usually reheat in the stove. I have heard that using a pan instead of the oven helps in keeping the crust crisper than in the oven. I have noticed that reheating in the oven the the crust is not as crisp as the day before. Of course a cold slice of pizza sometimes hits the spot. I think my next experiment I will use butter and create several layers by rolling and folding the dough. I like how my last pie turned out, but I think this would be fun to try. My first try at pizza was Neapolitan. I found the Forno Bravo website and I was on my way to pizza heaven. Of course I don't have a WFO, and my oven only gets to 550 degrees, but I learned a lot. I don't remember how I got to this forum, but it was the luckiest day of my life. I am a pizza junkie, and proud of it.

I didn't notice until the other day AFTER posting in response to you that you're in Tulsa as well .... Hey Neighbor !!!  8)
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Yep, I reside in Tulsa OK. Feels more like Death Valley, 108 degrees tomorrow so says the TV weather guy. Do you know of any pizza joints that make a good cracker crust in the local area? Have you tried Andolini's yet? I  thought it was one of best pies I have had in a while. Not cracker, I think they said it was like Neapolitan. I think they sell their dough balls for $4.00 I like to make my own dough, but in a pinch I think it would make a good pizza at home. I do like the Ken's pizza they sell at Mazzio's, but the crust is not as crisp as I would like. Pizza Hut has jumped the shark several years ago, their thin and crispy may be thin, but no way crispy.

Offline Kamado Pizza

« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »
I'm new here and these cracker crust threads are what lured me in.  Nick, I'm going to give your method a try tomorrow.  I did notice that you mentioned trying Crisco instead of oil.  In their commercials, they always say it makes flakier crusts.  I have some that I've used to season my stones and other cast iron cookware.  Is there a conversion for oil to Crisco?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
I'm new here and these cracker crust threads are what lured me in.  Nick, I'm going to give your method a try tomorrow.  I did notice that you mentioned trying Crisco instead of oil.  In their commercials, they always say it makes flakier crusts.  I have some that I've used to season my stones and other cast iron cookware.  Is there a conversion for oil to Crisco?
Yes there certainly is..sorry but I can't recall off the top of my head.
Try a forum search....it is your friend!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
Is there a conversion for oil to Crisco?

Kamado Pizza,

The conversion of oil to a shortening like Crisco is easy. The oil can be replaced by an equal weight of Crisco. If you use butter or margarine, an adjustment to the formula hydration has to be made because both of those products include water.

Peter

Offline Kamado Pizza

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
Kamado Pizza,

The conversion of oil to a shortening like Crisco is easy. The oil can be replaced by an equal weight of Crisco. If you use butter or margarine, an adjustment to the formula hydration has to be made because both of those products include water.

Peter

Thanks! 

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »
  That's what I have read, go by weight whether it is liquid or solid. I wonder what the butter flavored Crisco would taste like? You could add some garlic powder to the dough and the crust might taste like garlic bread. Hmm.. Maybe that's over the top. I think I will try the Crisco on my next pie. I was thinking of layering the dough with butter, maybe I'll use Crisco instead, butter does contain water, and that would effect the water ratio to flour.

pizzapan