Boy, I wish I had some pics of my Goats. I saw a pristine 1965 like mine go for almost a quarter mil at auction. I paid $300 for mine and then traded it for $1000 stereo system, that's 1973 dollars.
Well, I have been craving a cracker crust lately. I blew the first rule of experimenting, make one change at a time. I made several. I have liked my past pies, but still not what I was wanting. The crusts were very crisp but seemed too crunchy as compared to what I remember about PH pies. I remember them being crispy but had a light soft bite. Mine seemed a little harder till this one. This one seemed pretty close.
This is a list of the changes.
1 I used less spritzing of water to get the dough ball to hold together. The dough ball really seemed dry, but did not have any dry flour after forming.
2 I used 1 tsp of VWG.
3 I used about 1/4 tsp more of salt than the last pies.
4 I sifted the flour before mixing.
5 Instead of using a cutter pan, I used parchment paper. My cutter pan sometimes warps when on the stone, which led me to try using the paper for more contact with the stone for more heat transfer to the skin. I removed the paper after 3 minutes into the par bake.
The crust really had a nice flavor, maybe the increase in salt helped. I used Chicago Bob's trick with the mushrooms, and they did not release as much H2O as in the past. I really like how the crust turned out. I am going to try this recipe again to see if I get the same results.
In the last pic you can see a little spiderwebbing. Not sure how this happened since I was at 45% hydration.