Author Topic: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!  (Read 24246 times)

Offline 71 Goatman

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »
I cooked up the nick57 cracker crust last night.  Mixed up the dough on Wednesday night, all done by weight I used 16 oz of flour and the appropriate % of the remaining ingredients, including 3.25 TBSP of oil.  Removed the dough from the refrig yesterday 2 hrs prior to rolling out.  Rolled out (2 crusts) nice and thin, the dough was great to work with.  Had preheated my oven and stone for 1 hr @ 550 degrees, par baked the crust on a pan with the holes in it.  I actually par baked for 5 min. @ 550.  3 minutes, then turned the crust over and an additional 2 minutes.  I had made two crusts, after par baking both, I added toppings, meanwhile the oven was cooling off to 425.  Popped them in one at a time for 11 minutes each, middle shelf of the oven, on  the pan which I set on the stone.  As I removed each pizza I would let it rest on a cooling rack for several minutes prior to cutting.  All I can say is WOW!!  This is the thin crust I have been searching for all my life!  Crunchy all the way to the middle, nice air pockets, nice leoparding on the bottom.  Wish I would have taken pictures.  The other thing I truly enjoy about this crust is my wife and I were really able to load up with ingredients and it still came out nice and crisp edge to middle.

My tip: The second pie I finished it by sliding it off the pan and directly on the stone the last 3 minutes (middle shelf), definitely finished off the crust a little nicer than the first one.

Great forum - Thanks for all tips, experimenting and feedback nick57 and everyone else.

71 Goatman  ;D

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »
It's always fun to make a pie at home that you like. Sounds like you have your cracker crust recipe down. I par bake the skin for 3 minutes in the pan, then I remove it from the pan and onto the stone for another 2 or 3 minutes to get the crust crisper and to remove more moisture. After I top the skin, I place it directly onto the stone till the toppings cook and I get some nice browning on the crust, about 3 to 5 minutes. I also place the pie on a cooling rack for a few minutes after cooking so the steam escapes and the bottom of the crust does not get soggy. I haven't make a cracker crust in a while, I'm trying my hand at NY style, but now after reading your post, my next pie may have to be a cracker.  Congrats on your success at making a great cracker!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
Yep, these posts make me want to whip up a good old cracker too.  :chef:

Hey Goatman...you don't own a '71 GTO by chance do you?  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline 71 Goatman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2013, 11:08:06 PM »
Chi-Town Bob,

Yes I do in fact own a 71 GTO, after a 3 year resto with some mods - finished in June of 2009, although you are never really done.  I have driven it on 3 power tours and continue to have a blast driving it each summer.  I like the car because you rarely see one at a show, on the road etc. 

I will post some pics for you to drool over  :drool:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2013, 11:16:48 PM »
Chi-Town Bob,

Yes I do in fact own a 71 GTO, after a 3 year resto with some mods - finished in June of 2009, although you are never really done.  I have driven it on 3 power tours and continue to have a blast driving it each summer.  I like the car because you rarely see one at a show, on the road etc. 

I will post some pics for you to drool over  :drool:
Thanks Judge...4-spd. ?

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
Hey, I had 2 GTO's! One was a 1965 silver 389 hydraulic convertible top with  chrome dashboard and 3 speed auto floor shift.  My other was a 1967 with a 4 speed straight gate floor shifter, headers,  3 carbs, 2 500 outboards and 1 250 inboard. The engine was board out to a 401 cubic incher. It looked like a sleeper. Fastest I ever got it to was close to 140 mph, and with all three carbs open I would get 1 mile per gallon  of gas. Of course at that time gas was only 65 cents a gallon.

Offline 71 Goatman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Very nice Nick, you have had some nice toys.

Speaking of MPG, mine will get anywhere from 8 - 16mpg depending how hard you are on the throttle.  Just filled up with premium yesterday $4.56/gallon OUCH! But hey can you really put a price on SMILES PER GALLON (SPG)?  No

BTW - Was at Target in Woodbury, MN and they had 5lb bags of KABF, could not believe it.  Going to try the crust again this weekend with KABF, just getting ready to mix it up.................Wow my Friday nights are exciting.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »
Please Lord...where are some pics of these GTO's!  :drool:

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »
Boy, I wish I had some pics of my Goats. I saw a pristine 1965 like mine go for almost a quarter mil at auction. I paid $300 for mine and then traded it for $1000 stereo system, that's 1973 dollars.
 Well, I have been craving a cracker crust lately. I blew the first rule of experimenting, make one change at a time. I made several. I have liked my past pies, but still not what I was wanting. The crusts were very crisp but seemed too crunchy as compared to what I remember about PH pies. I remember them being crispy but had a light soft bite. Mine seemed a little harder till this one. This one seemed pretty close.
This is a list of the changes.
1 I used less spritzing of water to get the dough ball to hold together. The dough ball really seemed dry, but did not have any dry flour after forming.
2 I used 1 tsp of VWG.
3 I used about 1/4 tsp more of salt than the last pies.
4 I sifted the flour before mixing.
5 Instead of using a cutter pan, I used parchment paper. My cutter pan sometimes warps when on the stone, which led me to try using the paper for more contact with the stone for more heat transfer to the skin. I removed the paper after 3 minutes into the par bake.
The crust really had a nice flavor, maybe the increase in salt helped. I used Chicago Bob's trick with the mushrooms, and they did not release as much H2O as in the past. I really like how the crust turned out. I am going to try this recipe again to see if I get the same results.
In the last pic you can see a little spiderwebbing. Not sure how this happened since I was at 45% hydration.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:03:33 PM by nick57 »

Offline ct4640

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »
i made a couple cracker crust  for dinner.  they rolled out great and we brushed one with oil and the wife wanted sauce on the other one. i think i docked them too much before the par bake or didnt roll it  thin enough. maybe both. mine didnt bubble up as much as  others i have seen on here. barely managed to snap a pic before we ate it all. they  really tasted great   but didnt look like yours. not bad for a first effort but a lot of room for improvement. will definitely try again soon.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:08:53 PM by ct4640 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
You have some nice color on the crust. From your picture, the crust looks too thick, about twice as thick as it should be. The skin should be about the thickness of a dime or credit card after rolling out. I poke mine pretty heavy. I par bake the skin in the pan on the stone for about 3 minutes, then I place the skin on the stone, and finish the par bake, about another 2 minutes or till I start to get a few light brown spots. Be sure to let the skin cool down for about 5 to 10 minutes before topping and going back into the oven. Let me know how your progress goes.

Offline ct4640

« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
i tried again  and was happy with the results. if it gets better than this i wont be able to stand it. i decided to  try less yeast and a faster ferment so i did .5 % yeast and a 9 hr rise on the counter. it rose really well and was much easier to roll out. its  nice to know i  dont have to wait 24 hrs if i need  to hurry it up  a bit. i  also used the sams flour and was very satisfied with it especially since its 1/3  the cost of KA. with petes help we found out its 11%+  so im not gonna worry about using  vwg unless i have a failure where i think i need to bump it up.
thx nick for the work you put in on this. my wife and kids love it
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:04:05 PM by ct4640 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
It's a thing of beauty.  :drool: I found that the longer rise improves the texture and flavor of the crust. Of course I know about having that same day pie fix. When I pull the dough out of fridge, I let it sit on the counter for about 2 hours. This really helps on the rolling action. I used the VWG on my last cracker just to see if I could tell a difference. It seemed to give the crust a softer bite, but did not impact the crispy, cracker like texture. I think it made it closer to the old school Pizza Hut crust. 11% sounds right on the flour, I thought it was around 10%. Of course my recipe calls KAFB. I may try KAAP next time to see what difference if would make.

I just added a new thread on the Chicago style pizza thread. It's my attempt at a Chicago thin crust. Check it out. If you like  crispy thin crusts, you'll love this one. It's almost the same procedure as cracker crusts. My next bake will a Chi style thin.

Congrats on your success! There is a lot of good info on the forum, and it's fun trying different styles.

BOOMER SOONER!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:15:38 PM by nick57 »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
I used the VWG on my last cracker just to see if I could tell a difference. It seemed to give the crust a softer bite, but did not impact the crispy, cracker like texture. I think it made it closer to the old school Pizza Hut crust.
Nick,  I sure like the sound of that.  ;)

ct, I like that you are trying different things with your dough. Keep up the good work man; your pizza looks great!  :chef:

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
 If my memory serves me right, PH crust was light and flakey. It was not as light as a pie crust, but seemed to be airy and almost like a heavier saltine cracker. I am thinking of combing half baking soda and yeast. I think that I should make the crust thinner than I have. The saltine pizza dough was very thin, you could read printing through it. I have been using KABF for my cracker crust pies. I think using KABF flour may have made the crust tougher. The saltine recipes I have seen uses AP flour, and the pie I made using it was pretty close to PH, but just too delicate. I just know that my cracker pies are not quite as flakey and thin as the PH.

My next pie was going to be a Chi style thin, but now you have me craving for a cracker. By the way, I did post my results of my Chicago thin crust. It was easy, and very tasty. I did Garvey's for my first try. My next Chi pie will be in the pan like Chicago Bob. You were right about how I would like it. This is the recipe I used to make my matzo pizza, though it's not really kosher. http://stresscake.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/something-easy-and-unlikely-homemade-saltines/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:02:08 PM by nick57 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
This pic shows my best attempt to date. As you can tell the by looking at the cross-section, it looks craggy and not smooth as I remember the way PH crust looked. The sliced edges looked smooth and thin as paper, this does not. Is my idea of PH pie from the 60's and early 70's the same as you remember?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:02:52 PM by nick57 »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:26 PM »
This pic shows my best attempt to date. As you can tell the by looking at the cross-section, it looks craggy and not smooth as I remember the way PH crust looked. The sliced edges looked smooth and thin as paper, this does not. Is my idea of PH pie from the 60's and early 70's the same as you remember?
Actually, no.  :)
In that pic I think you are right there on TF but I don't believe it was so craggy. Perhaps a more dense crispy evenly across entire crust. Your TF sure reminds me of the nice gbd crispy(but not hard crunch)rim on those pies that was formed by the low rimmed pan it was baked in.

Offline ct4640

« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
we tried another cracker but this time tried rolling it out on a piece of parchment. just dock it and chunk it in the oven then pull the paper after a couple minutes.  turned out pretty good. its easier than using a pan for me.   cracker crust is starting to  give deep dish a run for its money for being the family favorite
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:34:00 PM by ct4640 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
I am going to go off the deep end, and I am trying  something a little different for a cracker crust in the next week or so. I am going to modify a saltine cracker recipe and try to make it into a cracker crust pizza recipe. I think my crusts are too tough. This will include a mixture of yeast and baking soda, and all purpose flour. Glad your pies are turning out great! Why buy a pizza, when you can make one at home that is filled with love?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
I am going to go off the deep end, and I am trying  something a little different for a cracker crust in the next week or so. I am going to modify a saltine cracker recipe and try to make it into a cracker crust pizza recipe. I think my crusts are too tough. This will include a mixture of yeast and baking soda, and all purpose flour. Glad your pies are turning out great! Why buy a pizza, when you can make one at home that is filled with love?
You're my hero Nick.....please say you're going to have a little oil in there. I think that is maybe what made old school PH interesting....a sort of tender crackery crunch.

pizzapan