Author Topic: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!  (Read 36383 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Re: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
No, you will not.  At 47% you have plenty of hydration for this style.

The Semolina will have a nice effect, you will have the same crispy texture on first bite, but a lighter chew.  It breaks up much faster and is more delicate after first bite.  Its a great addition to this style.  If you want a richer flavor and more crisp, you can move to a 48hr cold ferment (As you are now doing i think).  A good idea to reduce yeast for that duration, I use .375 for 48 hour.  There is a substantial flavor impact moving to 48 (if you want to wait that long).   Get the Dough out of the mixer at 75-80, ball it up and right into the fridge w/no counter warmup.  There are all sorts of things you can do with this recipe, but doing one thing at a time works best - like adding the Semolina to get the texture and bit you are looking for.  I think 10% is perfect.

An example of those are :

Bumping salt up to 1.5 to 1.75
Reducing IDY for longer ferment
Moving to 475 for Parbake + Cook time
Using a light coating of Crisco Butter flavor shortening in the Pan or non butter flavor
Using a good pure OO in the dough (for a little extra flavor)
Laminating and re-rolling
Eliminating the Fridge time
Applying cheese first, then sauce then more cheese (mega crispy)

Everyone has opinions, these are just a few of mine.  I'm making this style tonight and it's my favorite.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
I remember the crust from the mid 60's as having a delicate bite, almost like biting into air. It was crispy but had a very easy bite, and did not fill you up.
I believe you have a good grasp of this once great pizza that they used to make. I am watching you closely Nick and am hoping for your success...I think you will do it man!  :chef:

I liked what pizzagarage said about lightly oiling the cutter pan. I breifly worked a PH back in the day and remember all the pans would be slightly greasy from all the previous bakes.
Also, I really like that you are now moving away from par baking the crust. It should not be necessary, even in a home oven, if one can just get the dough figured out/right.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys! I will try these on my next attempt. I just got home from a place called New York Pizza. I've been wanting to go there for along time, they have been in business for 40 years. They sell slices and 16" pies. I ordered the 16 incher with sausage and shrooms. It was the best pizza my date and I have ever eaten. I will post pics and a description in the New York thread. Of course I live in Tulsa and have never had an authentic NY pie, so hopefully this is close.

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
This is a fantastic thread!  I'd love to know what your doing with your cracker crusts these days Nick, I'm sure others would too.   

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2015, 12:46:55 AM »
 ^^^
Jeff

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
  I need to make a cracker again. I needed a break, I was not progressing like I wanted. I've been making other styles of pies. Though, I have been doing research on crackers, and I am ready to take the plunge. So in the near future, I will be making some. Got some new ideas from friends on the  forum.

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
Thanks Nick, sounds good.  Can you clarify on thing for me?  Your Lehman calculations on page 1 of this post have no sugar or salt.   I've seen different numbers throughout.  Maybe I missed it, but if you get a chance, can you update the recipe with those in the amount you found that worked best?

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2015, 02:47:31 PM »
  Here's the calculations. A note.... The thickness factor is .1, but in reality it's about.07 TF. The reason is, I roll the skin out to about 20 inches or so. I make it that size, because I don't want any rough edges. I trim the final skin size so it will overlap the top of my cutter pan, and then I can use a rolling pin to cut the skin to form the top edge of the skin. The finished skin is about as thick as a credit card. I included salt in this formulation. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:53:15 PM by nick57 »

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2015, 08:33:46 PM »
Thanks again Nick, greatly appreciated.

Offline Packer Pizza Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »
Without weighing everything what is the recipe?i want to perfect my pizza making skills. Do you use bread flour? Any hello would be appreciated.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »
  First rule I learned on the forum, weigh the ingredients. There are too many variables when using volume measurements. Here is what King Arthur Flours says on the subject.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/measuring.html

Even using their methods you can still get inconsistent weights, sometimes 10 to 20% off. If you want to make consistent pies you need to get a scale and weigh the flour. I used KABF for these pies. It has been recommended to use a higher protein flour like KASL.