Author Topic: Old World Pepperoni?  (Read 18908 times)

Offline DarqMan

Old World Pepperoni?
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
My local Marcos pizza has a pepperoni pizza that has what they call "Old World Pepperoni".  They are little round pieces of pepperoni that curl up into little cups when the pie cooks and the top edges get crispy and yummy.  I've never seen this type of pepperoni in the store and was wondering if anyone has heard of or seen it for sale any where? They sell old world pepperoni on Amazon, but it's hard to tell the diameter and it's not listed in the description.

http://www.amazon.com/Bridgford-Pepperoni-World-16-Ounce-Sticks/dp/B0029JW96I/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I'd love to find some of this pepperoni.  I'd like that to the first pie I cook in my oven when it arrives.

Offline shuboyje

Re: Old World Pepperoni?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
Isn't it the best?

I highly recommend Margherita brand.  They make a few different styles but what you are after are sticks that will be dry and unpackaged.  Two sticks will simply have a black paper band with the logo on it around them.  Generally higher end grocery stores or Italian markets will have it in the deli counter with the fresh mozarella in my area. 
-Jeff

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »
Isn't it the best?

I highly recommend Margherita brand.  They make a few different styles but what you are after are sticks that will be dry and unpackaged.  Two sticks will simply have a black paper band with the logo on it around them.  Generally higher end grocery stores or Italian markets will have it in the deli counter with the fresh mozarella in my area.  

It is the best, I absolutely love it.
shuboyje, does this look like what you buy?
http://www.alescifoods.com/products/342
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:48:58 PM by DarqMan »

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »
not sure where you are in the country, but if you've got a kroger (or ralph's, smith's, dillon's, fry's , king sooper's... relatives), they sell bridgeford pepperoni there. i've been using it since the day i found it! definitely delicious!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
It is the best, I absolutely love it.
shuboyje, does this look like what you buy?
http://www.alescifoods.com/products/342

That band is slightly different but that looks like the stuff.
-Jeff

Offline ThePieman

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
Hormel makes a loose stick pepperoni that is only 3/4" - 1" in diameter. My local grocers carry it. It is wrapped in plastic wrap and just has a deli sticker on it. Good stuff.

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
not sure where you are in the country, but if you've got a kroger (or ralph's, smith's, dillon's, fry's , king sooper's... relatives), they sell bridgeford pepperoni there. i've been using it since the day i found it! definitely delicious!

I'm in Oklahoma and we don't have any of the stores you mentioned.  We have had a few gourmet groceries open lately that I haven't checked.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
I'm in Oklahoma and we don't have any of the stores you mentioned.  We have had a few gourmet groceries open lately that I haven't checked.

Any store owned by Kroger carries it. I've seen it at other grocery stores, too, like Giant Eagle, which is not related to Kroger. Just look around at a few different stores if you're having a hard time finding it. And if you can't find it in any particular store, ask the stockers if they carry it because it's not always kept in the most intuitive places. (My local Kroger keeps it at the end of a frozen foods aisle.)

If you find it, get the big stick (16 oz) because it's a lot better than the smaller stick. It really is good, but it's also VERY greasy and, of course, labor intensive. Here's a couple pictures of a pizza I made with Bridgford pepperoni (3rd & 4th pics): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.msg142616.html#msg142616.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »
My local Marcos pizza has a pepperoni pizza that has what they call "Old World Pepperoni".  They are little round pieces of pepperoni that curl up into little cups when the pie cooks and the top edges get crispy and yummy.  I've never seen this type of pepperoni in the store and was wondering if anyone has heard of or seen it for sale any where? They sell old world pepperoni on Amazon, but it's hard to tell the diameter and it's not listed in the description.

http://www.amazon.com/Bridgford-Pepperoni-World-16-Ounce-Sticks/dp/B0029JW96I/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I'd love to find some of this pepperoni.  I'd like that to the first pie I cook in my oven when it arrives.

rosa pepperoni.

also, www.vocellipizza.com is semi-famous for using it.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »
Here's a couple pictures of a pizza I made with Bridgford pepperoni (3rd & 4th pics): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.msg142616.html#msg142616.

Oh Yeah!  THAT is what I'm talking about!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
Oh Yeah!  THAT is what I'm talking about!

or this?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
or this?

Fantastic!  Looks terrific!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »
From what I can remember,  isn't this: (Regenerated Collagen Casing) responsible for the cupping,  I know this has been discussed before.

from the glossary at PM.com

PEPPERONI: In the U.S., pepperoni refers to a spicy Italian-American variety of dry salami made of pork and beef. Pepperoni is a descendant of the spicy salamis of Italy, such as salsiccia Napoletana piccante, a spicy dry pork sausage from Naples. Pepperoni is frequently used as a pizza topping in American-style pizzerias. It is the most popular pizza topping in North America, present on at least 30% of all pizzas. For pepperoni that "cups" and chars when cooked, choose a brand with a collagen casing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:34:41 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
I always thought cupping had something to do with the casing, too, until I found that the stuff cups even when the casing is lost to my cheap slicer. If you cut a Bridgford stick lengthwise or chop it up into weird shapes, it will still cup.

So I think PMQ is wrong about this. But then, PMQ is wrong about a lot of stuff.

Offline ThePieman

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
I always thought cupping had something to do with the casing, too, until I found that the stuff cups even when the casing is lost to my cheap slicer. If you cut a Bridgford stick lengthwise or chop it up into weird shapes, it will still cup.

So I think PMQ is wrong about this. But then, PMQ is wrong about a lot of stuff.

There are only two kinds of edible casings, natural and collagen. Natural casings are made from animal intestines. The natural casings quickly break down once cooked. Think of those small breakfast sausage links made with lamb casings and how those casings get after they are cooked.

But, in the case of a dry aged pepperoni, even though a natural casing was used, it is possible that the rind formed by the dry aging process would shrink once the pepperoni slice is baked, causing the cupping action which occurs with collagen cased pepperoni.

Cheers!  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:45:55 PM by ThePieman »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »
From what I can remember,  isn't this: (Regenerated Collagen Casing) responsible for the cupping,  I know this has been discussed before.

from the glossary at PM.com

PEPPERONI: In the U.S., pepperoni refers to a spicy Italian-American variety of dry salami made of pork and beef. Pepperoni is a descendant of the spicy salamis of Italy, such as salsiccia Napoletana piccante, a spicy dry pork sausage from Naples. Pepperoni is frequently used as a pizza topping in American-style pizzerias. It is the most popular pizza topping in North America, present on at least 30% of all pizzas. For pepperoni that "cups" and chars when cooked, choose a brand with a collagen casing.
Oh, you said PM.com, not PMQ.com. I misread. I didn't mean to talk any s__t about pizzamaking.com. (Still, I stand by what I said about PMQ.)

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »

I use Dietz & Watson sticks.  I believe they are 2 sticks for $5.  I like the fact that I can control the thickness and don't have my pepperoni all burned up. I find them in the deli section of my local grocer.

http://www.dietzandwatson.com/our-products/italian-specialites/twinstick-pepperoni/

Since you are an Okie too, if you have never heard of, look for Lovera brand Italian sausage, it's Made In Oklahoma, in Krebbs, available mild and hot.

http://www.loverasmarket.com/

Cheers!  :chef:
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
I use Dietz & Watson sticks.  I believe they are 2 sticks for $5.  I like the fact that I can control the thickness and don't have my pepperoni all burned up. I find them in the deli section of my local grocer.

http://www.dietzandwatson.com/our-products/italian-specialites/twinstick-pepperoni/

Since you are an Okie too, if you have never heard of, look for Lovera brand Italian sausage, it's Made In Oklahoma, in Krebbs, available mild and hot.

http://www.loverasmarket.com/

Cheers!  :chef:

Thanks for the tip!  I'll keep my eyes open.

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
There are only two kinds of edible casings, natural and collagen. Natural casings are made from animal intestines. The natural casings quickly break down once cooked. Think of those small breakfast sausage links made with lamb casings and how those casings get after they are cooked.

But, in the case of a dry aged pepperoni, even though a natural casing was used, it is possible that the rind formed by the dry aging process would shrink once the pepperoni slice is baked, causing the cupping action which occurs with collagen cased pepperoni.

Cheers!  

I bought 3 Bridgeford pepperoni sticks from Amazon and sliced it thin on my Hobart 410.  I made one pie with the casing on and one pie with the casing removed.  The pepperoni did not cup on the pie with the casing removed.  I'm not saying this is true for all pepperoni, but those were my results.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »
This pie was made with Vermont Smoked Pepperoni. It's the best pepperoni I've ever tasted by far, and I've tasted a lot of different kinds of pepperoni.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan