Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 54002 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2015, 09:49:44 PM »
I used to think that I needed to leave the dough raised when I topped it. I realized then that it was coming out too thick so I started knocking it down before topping it. That gave it the correct VP thickness.

steel_baker,

I read through some of your posts and used Peter's formulation he figured out in baker's percents for what you used.  I thought the dough proofed too much, but then I thought there was 8 grams of IDY in the dough.  I didn't think to look back though your thread to see you what you did before the bake.  It is good your experimented to see what works right for a VP TF.   :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2015, 08:07:16 PM »
steel_baker,

I made another attempt with your recipe.  I still think my Victory Pig attempt might be too thick.  It is very tasty though.  I sprinkled Greek oregano on the pizza near the end of the bake which I know you don't do.  I did punch the dough down right before the bake.  I took 3 photos of the dough in the pan, after the dough proofed, and after it was punched down.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
Norma

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2015, 11:42:05 PM »
Wow, I haven't been here in a little bit and I stop by and see a lot of people making excellent VP style pizzas!
I'm up to 6 blue steel pans and I'm making several pizzas every week, though they're a few steps away from VP style. I've changed them to be a little thinner and I've tweaked my cheese blend.
Here's the last one I baked. It has soppressata, ricotta, and spicy honey.

Joe_C - that's awesome that you thought to get a copy of that pic! Your pizza looks spot on. I love the one with the peppers & shrimp; I too use those peppers, it reminds me of Ricci's Pizza, a place in Wilkes Barre, PA that sells a lot of slices with the peppers on.

Norma - I live in Downingtown which isn't too far from you. I'm going to make it a priority to visit one day soon!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: January 19, 2015, 02:19:43 AM »

Norma - I live in Downingtown which isn't too far from you. I'm going to make it a priority to visit one day soon!

Pizza Binge,

You are probably about 45 minutes away from where market is.  Stop up sometime.

Norma

Offline communist

« Reply #325 on: January 25, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »
I began making Victory Pig pizza at home after a visit to the pizza parlor in Wyoming PA a couple of months ago.  Thank you steel baker for your expertise.  An observation:  When I have the pizza at the Pig, I noticed the bright tomato and onion flavored sauce, but then noticed low salt taste.  At home, when I added salt to my sauce, it seemed the bright tomato and onion flavor was muted.  My question is, does increased salt help taste in one way, while muting the bright tomato flavor?  Any thoughts?  Mark

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #326 on: January 25, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
Is anyone doing a "group buy" on these pans in the not too distant future?

http://www.paprod.com/pans.html

If so, I would be interested in buying 2 of them.

CHEM1:  IMHO, unless you're making this pizza in a commercial setting the blue steel pans aren't necessary, or even preferable.  My first few tries were with steel pans purchased online at red hill general store and results were okay.  But.... first there is a bit of work to get them seasoned properly.  I also found that covering with plastic wrap was kind of a hassle.  And it seemed my electric oven didn't do a very good job of browning the pizza in those pans.  Ultimately, I decided to experiment with a good household quality non-stick pan.  I bought one of these 12X17 Calphalon pans that I think are commonly referred to as jelly roll pans. Sort of expensive (around $25) but worth the money. Anyway, the Calphalon pan worked out perfectly and I've since bought a second one.  The actual cooking area is a bit larger than the blue steel pans, so I increased the volume of dough ingredients by 20%.  The plastic top is the best part as it eliminates the need to mess with cling wrap and the top is transparent enough so you can see how well the dough is rising.  Most important, the pizza bakes much better in my electric oven and I consistently get a perfectly browned and crispy bottom crust.  You can buy them online at calphalon.com or you can also find them in stores.   

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #327 on: January 25, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
I have aluminum lids for my blue steel pans. No plastic necessary. In addition, my pans are extremely light gauge so they heat quickly & brown the crust nicely.  Certainly you can get by without them, but the additional depth of the PA Product blue steel pizza pans (2-1/2") eliminates overflow or splashing of the oil while the pizza bakes. It's no fun when you smoke up the oven with overflowing oil in a really hot oven.
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #328 on: January 25, 2015, 07:15:49 PM »
I have aluminum lids for my blue steel pans. No plastic necessary. In addition, my pans are extremely light gauge so they heat quickly & brown the crust nicely.  Certainly you can get by without them, but the additional depth of the PA Product blue steel pizza pans (2-1/2") eliminates overflow or splashing of the oil while the pizza bakes. It's no fun when you smoke up the oven with overflowing oil in a really hot oven.

Yes, the possible overflow of oil was a concern when I first decided to experiment with this non-stick pan.  But surprisingly as it turned out, it wasn't an issue at all.  The 1/4 cup of oil is apparently just enough to give the dough a good fry but not enough to spill over.  I suspect my issues with the steel pans had more to do with my own impatience with seasoning them properly than anything else.  But I do think my electric oven played a part as well.  Anyhow once I found success with the non-stick pans, there was no turning back.  Just made a tray tonight and once again it was perfectly crispy and delicious.  I feel like I hit the pizza lottery every time I use your recipe! 

Offline Chem1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
Thanks Joe_C!  I appreciate the input.  It's actually kind of a moot point now though because I called to order a whole set (thinking others might be interested in 1 or 2 of the "extra" ones) and they told me that they are no longer available.

pizzapan