Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 141492 times)

jeff v and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline hurkleburkle

Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2100 on: May 11, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
Norma,  How much cheese are you putting on these?  I tried looking it up but there are so many pages of information it is hard to get through it all.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2101 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Norma,  How much cheese are you putting on these?  I tried looking it up but there are so many pages of information it is hard to get through it all.

hurkleburkle,

I am using 6 oz. of mild white cheddar for the Detroit style of pizzas at market in a 8Ēx10Ē rectangular pan.  You could use more cheese.  I use that amount because it works for me in keeping the price of the cheese down on a pizza.  Brick cheese or a combination of other cheeses work too.

Norma   
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2102 on: May 12, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
If anyone is interested I am using GM Full Strength bleached and bromated flour now for my Detroit style pizzas.  I had been using the Occident Flour.  I had been testing the GM Full Strength for a couple of months and it works the same as the Occident flour at least in my opinion.  Using only one flour makes it easier for me.  I do use GM Full Strength for the other dough I make for market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2103 on: May 19, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
Buddy's Pizza has come up with a creative way to use leftover pizza dough and help save animals lives.  ďBuddy BonesĒ are made from the company's multi-grain crust.

http://www.pizzatoday.com/industry-news/pizza-headlines/buddys-pizza-repurposes-dough-dog-treats/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2104 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
If anyone has leftover Detroit style dough balls, maybe they might want to try a Cinnamon Swirl Pizza.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32317.0 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2105 on: July 15, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
Two customers of mine had told me awhile ago they were going to Buddy's Pizza on vacation.  They brought me a souvenir from Buddy's today and also ordered two Detroit style pizzas.

I still have customers that have been to Buddy's, and live in Detroit, that tell me they never heard of a Detroit style pizzas.  They just call Buddy's pizza a square pizza.     

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2106 on: Yesterday at 10:21:57 AM »
Some Detroit style dough was mixed in the Kitchen Aide only using the flat beater attachment in two mixes.  There was a one day cold ferment of the dough balls in plastic bags.  I know other members have baked Detroit style pizzas before without a stone.  This is the first time I tried without a stone.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2107 on: Yesterday at 01:54:22 PM »
How did it compare without the stone? I've tried it both ways and have had much better results without the stone.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2108 on: Yesterday at 09:58:11 PM »
How did it compare without the stone? I've tried it both ways and have had much better results without the stone.

Craig,

I posted on my other thread at Reply 80 (8th photo down)  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg336395#msg336395 that I gave those two Detroit style pies to Frank Giaquinto.  I did not get to taste them so I don't know what they really tasted like.  The Detroit style pizzas seemed to do well without a pizza stone.  I have tried Detroit style pizza on my Blackstone and got good results on a stone.  Why do you think you get better results without a stone? 

I probably should have linked to the formulation I used at Reply 72 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg336246#msg336246 I used a little more water than was called for in the formulation.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2109 on: Yesterday at 10:20:20 PM »
Why do you think you get better results without a stone? 

I don't know. I was surprised I didn't, but I've tried it sever times and have never been happy with the results.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2110 on: Today at 09:11:34 AM »
I bake mine without a stone as well. At 500į, I still have to cover the pan with foil for the last few minutes to keep the cheese from over browning.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2111 on: Today at 09:51:45 AM »
I don't know. I was surprised I didn't, but I've tried it sever times and have never been happy with the results.

Craig,

I am curious about what final results weren't you happy with when baking on a stone?  Was it the texture of the crumb, or the brownness of the rim edges that changed when baking on a stone?

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2112 on: Today at 10:09:59 AM »
Craig,

I am curious about what final results weren't you happy with when baking on a stone?  Was it the texture of the crumb, or the brownness of the rim edges that changed when baking on a stone?

Norma

I seemed to get less browning of the crust. I don't understand it, but the results were consistent.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan