Author Topic: Door Insulation? for owners of Primavera, Andiamo and other ovens with steel dr  (Read 871 times)

Offline fornographer

Hello,

My oven came with a non-insulated steel door.  Has anyone tried modifying their plain steel door to add insulation?

I would like to retain more heat for the next day after an evening's pizza round and not have all that valuable energy built up on the oven go to waste.  Right now, my oven would be between 350F-460F 12 hours after fully firing it for pizza temperatures (1000F + dome , 800-900F floor).

Thank you in advance.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
I've made a bunch of improvements since this post:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6736.msg58304.html#msg58304

but you get the idea.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Got this insulated door made. Firing at 900F-920F the next day with the regular steel door it would drop down to around 450ish. Now with the ID the next day it's around 750-800 depending on how high it was fired.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Details on that door, please?  I would LOVE to have something like that made - I HATE the insulated door that came with the FGM!  That is a thing of beauty, your door.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Got this insulated door made. Firing at 900F-920F the next day with the regular steel door it would drop down to around 450ish. Now with the ID the next day it's around 750-800 depending on how high it was fired.

A thing of beauty, BSO. Makes mine look pretty pathetic.  :-[

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Details on that door, please?  I would LOVE to have something like that made - I HATE the insulated door that came with the FGM!  That is a thing of beauty, your door.
My uncles friend is a steel worker, he came over and took measurements and made a template, got it a week later. There was a lot of insulation blanket left over so he took some and stuffed it inside. It's made of SS so I don't have to worry about it rusting. It works great and fits really snug. If there was one thing I wish I asked was for two handles instead of one. If that door goes on after the fire dies down, good luck trying to take it off.

A thing of beauty, BSO. Makes mine look pretty pathetic.  :-[

Thanks Bill.

pizzapan