Author Topic: Thinking of giving up on my starter  (Read 3027 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Thinking of giving up on my starter
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
The IDY gave a fresh, yeast taste, but starter develops a tang that I just didn't experience with the IDY.

Was the taste actually "yeasty", as in kind of what the IDY tastes like straight outta the pack if you put some on your tongue?  Or was it that without the tangy notes of the sourdough, you experienced more of the unbridled wheat flavor of the flour...or that and more of the byproducts of fermantation not masked by the tang? The former is a flaw. The latter is good.

Just curious. Thanks! --K  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
Was the taste actually "yeasty", as in kind of what the IDY tastes like straight outta the pack if you put some on your tongue?  Or was it that without the tangy notes of the sourdough, you experienced more of the unbridled wheat flavor of the flour...or that and more of the byproducts of fermantation not masked by the tang? The former is a flaw. The latter is good.

hard to define what i meant by "yeasty". think of opening a container of dough that has been rising leavened by idy; that fresh, yeasty smell. the taste of the finished product reminds me of that smell, coupled with the lack of tangy sourdough notes... it was good, but again I just prefer the sourdough leavened doughs...

as an aside, i totally understand why so many commercial operators abandon sourdough cultures in favor of cake yeasts and the like coupled with cold fermentation. it is so much more forgiving on timing for service than "naturally leavened" cultures. 
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
Just wanted to give an update for future reference. Made a couple pizza's with my new Ischia starter and all I can say is wow. The flavor of the crust is amazing compared to my homemade starter.

So in summary: Yes, you should give up on your homemade starter and start making real pizza with a known/established culture. I'm happy again.
Josh