Author Topic: Beyond Pizzaiolo - A Recipe Challenge / Advice To Us All  (Read 4823 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: Beyond Pizzaiolo - A Recipe Challenge / Advice To Us All
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »
Yes I have done both, the first can of uncooked that I opened was Muir Glen that I hit with a stick blender, and after that first pie I ended up taking the leftover sauce and cooking it down. I did the same thing with a can of Classico's, making a pizza with the uncooked sauce and then cooking it down for the next pie the following night. The Classico's were as good as the Muir Glen ones to me if not better. I think all I added to the uncooked sauces was a touch of salt if I can remember right.

I agree though, fresh tomatoes don't make for a great sauce and I have no idea why not. It just didn't have any of the flavors I was looking for, even less than the uncooked can variety.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
Anything in a can has been cooked to some extent.

The secret to cooking tomatoes for pizza sauce is to limit the temperature to below 200 degrees.  I like a cooked sauce, and make them with both fresh tomatoes and canned.  The fresh is usually better, but it does have to cook for a longer time, say 2 hours instead of the 30-45 minutes I cook canned tomatoes.  Seed and gut fresh tomatoes.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
I only cook mine on a low low simmer too, I am not sure it is below 200 degrees but it is very low. I'll thermometer check my next batch and make sure I am below that point. I guess the reasoning behind that is to limit the amount of darkening of the sauce, or caramelization? I tried to make a fresh tomato sauce and didn't cook it at all, I may try your method and cook down the fresh tomatoes with my canned sauce and see how it turns out, probably give it a brighter flavor for sure.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 01:32:44 AM »
I opened a #10 can of Alta Cucina pear Tomatoes by Stanislaus Foods. As you can see in the photo, I crushed 6 or 7 tomatoes (with some of the juice that came in the can)  in a bowl.

I added:

teaspoon of Dry Basil, (even though there is some Basil already in the can)
teaspoon of Italian Seasoning,
clove of crushed Garlic,
teaspoon of Salt,
teaspoon of Black Pepper
Tablespoon of Olive oil

(I did not cook this for six hours in a crock pot, it just went right onto the pizza dough)

I put an appropriate amount on my pizza dough and added toppings. I thought that the sauce turned out really good. Not good enough to declare a major find Recipe, but good. i am still going to have to experiment with my sauce. (i did add cooked sweet onions to the pizza which might have added to the flavor of the sauce)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:10:18 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
second photo

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »
I found a sauce recipe that i really like and plan to use it again in the future. It from Peter Reinhart's book "American pie". I thought it tasted GREAT!!!!!!!!! The only thing that i will do different is not to used as much of the tomato juice that is in the can as i did. Next time just use the plum tomatoes, crush them, and use what juice the crushed tomatoes provide..  I only scooped up the juice because the Stanislaus,  Alta Cucina Pear Tomatoes are in a juice with some Basil leaves. However, it made the pizza a little watery, so i had to use a paper towel to get off some of the water before cooking it.

Here is the recipe from his book.

Makes Enough for 4 to 6 Pizzas
1 can (28 ounces) crushed or ground tomatoes (see comments above)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, start with ½ teaspoon and then adjust as needed)
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil (optional) (or 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil)
1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional) (or 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano)
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder (sandy, not the fine powder)
(or 5 cloves of fresh garlic, minced or crushed)
1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice, or a combination of both (optional--some brands are more acidic than others, but I find that most benefit from at least 1 tablespoon)

Stir all the ingredients together, adding the salt gradually, to taste. (The basil and oregano are optional. I use both because I find most of my friends associate the flavors with childhood memories, but in an authentic Napoletana marinara pizza, made with true San Marzano sauce, you would use only oregano, and not in the sauce but as a garnish after the bake. The flavors of the herbs and garlic will intensify when the pizza is baked, so resist the urge to increase the amount). Do not cook this sauce--the tomatoes are already cooked when they go in the can and they will cook again on the pizza (of course, if using this over spaghetti or other pasta, in other words, if it won't be cooked again in the oven, then you can heat it up in a pan). This sauce will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.

Since i only needed to make two pizzas, I cut the recipe in half.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:03:11 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 11:55:03 PM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:06:56 AM by TomN »

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »
A long time ago I tried Reinhart's sauce and did not care for the addition of the acidic component. A food reviewer in a local newspaper review had the same complaint. Alta Cucinas will improve any sauce.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

scott123

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »
Tom, at it's heart, NY style pizza should be a pizza for everyone.  From age 2 to 92 and just about every part of the globe.

If you like garlic, that's great, but you shouldn't subject family and friends to what is basically no longer pizza sauce, but garlic sauce.

Vinegar and lemon juice are also way outside the crowd pleasing nature of this style.

In the first post of this thread, you talked about simplicity.  If you like this sauce, I'm not stopping you from using it, but, one of these times, try something simple and see how you like it- a good brand of tomatoes (taste them first, they should taste good alone), some salt, and, if the tomatoes aren't sweet, some sugar.  Oregano can go in the sauce or on the pizza, but, other than that, this is the most basic you can get and is the most common sauce you'll find in pizzerias.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
In the first post of this thread, you talked about simplicity.  If you like this sauce, I'm not stopping you from using it, but, one of these times, try something simple and see how you like it- a good brand of tomatoes (taste them first, they should taste good alone), some salt, and, if the tomatoes aren't sweet, some sugar.  Oregano can go in the sauce or on the pizza, but, other than that, this is the most basic you can get and is the most common sauce you'll find in pizzerias.

My thoughts exactly.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 01:05:23 PM »
Hi Scott123,

Your right on this one. Thanks for bringing that point up again. As i mentioned on page 1 of this thread,  I had the opportunity to talk with a chef in a pizzeria that makes very good high end pizza. What amazed me the most was that his sauce was so simple. Tomatoes in Basil from the can, crushed them and only added some Sea Salt that was sprinkled over the pizza before adding the cheese and other toppings.

The friend that recommended Peter's book, had such high praises for it, that i had to try it. However, I really did like it. (I might have gotten away from the focus of this thread, sorry)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:09:01 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »
Scott123, (or anyone else)

Do you ever add Fresh or Dry Basil to your sauce????

Thanks for the reply.

TomN

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
There is no accounting for taste. What is horrible to one is bliss to another. If adding spices turns you off, don't add them. Personally when I see someone open a can of sauce or tomatoes and put it on a pizza directly I want to punch them in the face. To me that is just lazy.....but that's only my opinion. At my shop we use Stanislaus tomato paste, Truscello crushed tomatoes and tomato purée from our whole peeled tomatoes(cento). We add salt, black pepper, and sugar if needed.  We add a bit of olive oil and poached garlic oil just before service. Any other flavors catch a ride on the pie. I don't hold any loyalty to these brands,  they just seem to be the most consistent for our applications

scott123

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »
Scott123, (or anyone else)

Do you ever add Fresh or Dry Basil to your sauce????

Thanks for the reply.

TomN

Tom, I won't have dried basil in the house.  There are certain herbs that make the transition from fresh to dried well (such as oregano), but there are others that don't. Basil is a worst case scenario when it comes to an herb being negatively impacted by drying.

I do, on occasion, add a little chopped basil to my sauce (2 leaves per 1 28 oz. can of tomatoes) and some fresh garlic (1 small clove per can), and I highly recommend, at some point trying these additions out yourself, but I think, by far, the best jumping off point is tomatoes, sugar and salt. It's been a bit of a circuitous route for me, but, at the end of the day, I've come to the conclusion that it's really all about the tomatoes.  For NY style pizza, nothing beats a great brand of California tomatoes with a little sugar to offset the typical Californian tartness.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
Personally when I see someone open a can of sauce or tomatoes and put it on a pizza directly I want to punch them in the face.

:o  ???  :o
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
Hmm, when I see someone cook something different than me, I just want to taste it.  I will save the punches to the face for those who hog the last slice.....

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 02:20:01 AM »
There is no accounting for taste. What is horrible to one is bliss to another. If adding spices turns you off, don't add them. Personally when I see someone open a can of sauce or tomatoes and put it on a pizza directly I want to punch them in the face. To me that is just lazy.....but that's only my opinion. At my shop we use Stanislaus tomato paste, Truscello crushed tomatoes and tomato purée from our whole peeled tomatoes(cento). We add salt, black pepper, and sugar if needed.  We add a bit of olive oil and poached garlic oil just before service. Any other flavors catch a ride on the pie. I don't hold any loyalty to these brands,  they just seem to be the most consistent for our applications

Hi Bakerboy,

What is the amounts/measurements that you use? Are you combining all three #10 cans for equal parts? What is the measurement of paste, crushed tomatoes, puree, salt, pepper, sugar, so i can try this recipe? Thank you very much.

TomN
PS
i understand the expression, punch in the face.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:22:17 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on this recipe that Stanislaus posts on their website????? It seems really simple. The only problems is that you have to purchase two number 10 cans of product to try it. Not that it costs that much per can, it's just that you will have all that sauce left over.

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/family-recipes/view-recipe/46

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?Browse=1&whse=BD_767&topnav=bdoff&search=stanislaus&N=0&Ntt=stanislaus&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:09:35 AM by TomN »

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
I was only being facetious when I said "punch them in the face". Lol. My point being that we all have things that push our buttons when it comes to pizza and we feel strongly about them. But when all is said and done if you like cumin in your sauce....hey,Bon appetit.

TomN. I think the Stanislaus recipe might be a good starting point to modify and make your own. Might not be that great as is.

Offline jason83

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 03:10:17 AM »
Yep, I agree with Scott.  Kosher salt, sugar and dried oregano.  I also add black pepper because I like it.  Bit I wouldn't add it in a commercial pizzeria sauce.

pizzapan