Author Topic: Jeff Varasano's dough recipe  (Read 2690 times)

Offline mkacher

Jeff Varasano's dough recipe
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »
I recently came across Jeff's recipe and also had a question.  He states in his recipe to use 9% Sourdough yeast culture (as a battery poolish) using a baker's %age.  On other threads I've seen him mention using up to 40% starter.  Is he using "yeast culture" and "starter" interchangeably?  Could there be that wide of a variation in his recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Jeff Varasano's dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
Mike,

My recollection is that the 40% number was a number that Jeff once used, as I noted, for example, in the Patsy's Reverse Engineering thread at Reply 410 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1053.msg32597.html#msg32597. Somewhere along the way, maybe even in a different thread, Jeff explained what the 40% number meant and my recollection is that it had something to do with the way that he calculated things. The 9% number is the number you want to use if you are following hid dough recipe.

Peter

Offline mkacher

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Just to make sure I understand, he is referring to the amount of starter to use as a percentage of flour weight?  20 oz of flour equals 1.8 oz starter? 

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
Just to make sure I understand, he is referring to the amount of starter to use as a percentage of flour weight?  20 oz of flour equals 1.8 oz starter? 

Mike,

Based on what Jeff shows at http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm, that is correct.

Peter