Author Topic: Dough Tools Spread Sheets  (Read 1185 times)

Offline spies

Dough Tools Spread Sheets
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »
Hey does anyone have a spreadsheet that has the dough tools formulas, or even just the formulas themselves so that I could make my own spreadsheets.  I love the dough tools and use them all the time but I'd like to have it in a excel format so that I can keep track of my progress.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shaun

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Dough Tools Spread Sheets
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »
HA!!! Yes, actually. I've made up several different spreadsheets, and I'd be glad to share them. They may be a little intimidating at first, but if you mess around with them a little, you'll see that they're actually very easy and useful. I'll send them to you ASAP if your email address is listed on your profile.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
Several years ago I downloaded Jeff Varasano's spreadsheet

http://www.varasanos.com/Dough/PizzaRecipe.xls

I've made countless changes to it to suit my particular needs. It is particularly useful for sourdoughs. Using Jeff's spreadsheet is not intuitively obvious, but if you play around with it, you'll find it can be very useful. The better you understand Excel, the more useful it will be for you. It has been invaluable in the progress I've made over the years.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:43:26 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline spies

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Thanks guys!  I have the verasano spreadsheet but it looks rather confusing to me also I don't use a sourdough (yet). And Ryan I got your email and look forward to using it. Thanks for the help!

Shaun

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »
The problem with the dough tools spreadsheet is that it isn't a simple excel spreadsheet. Yes you could do it in excel, but the way it is setup, excel would get mad at the circular arguments. So if you're looking for a simple spreadsheet, that isn't it.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »
The Varasano spreadsheet was a little intimidating so I made one myself, I have been using it for Focaccia.

If you don't use a biga you would have to modify the sheet, but I will be modifying this sheet for a simple one day dough the next time I make one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj7knJ84DwjAdFpwa0ZDZHpYZUZGaEdKbnVUNl9PRVE

Offline spies

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »
Thanks for all the spreadsheets guys. I'll probably take them and try to modify them for my own use. One question though. What is a biga? I'm new but I feel like I've read a lot and never come across that term before.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
Biga = pre-ferment.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
One question though. What is a biga? I'm new but I feel like I've read a lot and never come across that term before.

A biga is a preferment but it is a particular type of preferment. You can read what a biga is technically in the Didier Rosada article at http://web.archive.org/web/20040814193817/cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food3_apr2004.htm.

Peter