Author Topic: Caputo 00 flour help  (Read 1723 times)

Offline ere514

Caputo 00 flour help
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:13:24 AM »
I have a recipe for NY style dough using all King Arthur Bread Flour that I am very happy with.  Last night I substituted 50% Caputo 00 Pizza flour and the dough is very sticky, gummy, glutinous (if that's a word).  My hydration is 65% and I stick pretty close to Jeff Varasanos kneading/resting techniques.  Should I have adjusted anything for the substituted 00 flour?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Caputo 00 flour help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »
I have a recipe for NY style dough using all King Arthur Bread Flour that I am very happy with.  Last night I substituted 50% Caputo 00 Pizza flour and the dough is very sticky, gummy, glutinous (if that's a word).  My hydration is 65% and I stick pretty close to Jeff Varasanos kneading/resting techniques.  Should I have adjusted anything for the substituted 00 flour?

You cut back on the hydration and turned the oven past 850, right?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
I have a recipe for NY style dough using all King Arthur Bread Flour that I am very happy with.  Last night I substituted 50% Caputo 00 Pizza flour and the dough is very sticky, gummy, glutinous (if that's a word).  My hydration is 65% and I stick pretty close to Jeff Varasanos kneading/resting techniques.  Should I have adjusted anything for the substituted 00 flour?

I think your hydration should be cut back when subbing in the 00. With a 50/50 blend, I'm just guessing 62% would work better for you.

Offline ere514

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
I haven't fired these up yet, just noticing the difference in the feel of the dough.  I made the dough last night, set in fridge overnight; the dough was still very tough this morning when I punched it down.  I am just remarking on the feel of the dough directly after kneading and this morning.  Back in the fridge for 2 day ferment.  Do you knead less, more or the same with 00 flour then bread flour?  The way the dough feels I thought I might need more water.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
In general, if you knead dough longer you can overcome wet dough and make it able to be handled. I'm not sure what the best practice for your 50/50 blend is for kneading time, but if you knead it longer it won't be as wet to the touch. For instance, you can put a 100% hydration dough in a KA and after 45 minutes you would be able to handle it.

Offline ere514

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
I should be more clear.  I mix all of the water and 75% of the flour w/paddle in my Kitchen Aid on #2 for 8min then rest 20 min.  Then incorporate the rest of the flour w/dough hook and then incorporate 2tsp EVOO.  Then knead w/dough hook on #2 for 8min.  With the 100% bread flour the raw dough seems more tender and turns out a great pizza.  The 50/50 mix feels like the gluten might be over-developed.  Should I have used a different kneading technique for the 50/50 than the 100% bread flour?

Offline David Deas

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »

00 flour does not take in as much water as KABF.  

With that knowledge you can adjust your hydration accordingly.  Or simply work with a wet dough if you'd like.  Varasano himself has a pretty wet dough coming out of the mixer.  Its a great dough, though.

Offline ere514

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »
00 flour does not take in as much water as KABF.  

With that knowledge you can adjust your hydration accordingly.  Or simply work with a wet dough if you'd like.  Varasano himself has a pretty wet dough coming out of the mixer.  Its a great dough, though.

I prefer the wetter dough

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »
Should I have used a different kneading technique for the 50/50 than the 100% bread flour?

Yes, absolutely. Caputo Pizzeria, due to it's gluten quality, does not need 16 minutes plus of mixing on speed 2. In fact, you could take the mixer completely out of the equation and do some stretch and folds, and still get a great, tender dough. My suggestion would be to cut your mix time on each end down to 4 minutes for the 50/50 mix.

John