Author Topic: Is this how to properly handle a stone?  (Read 920 times)

Offline politon

Is this how to properly handle a stone?
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »
At about 6:21, he removes the stone from the oven and tops the pizza on the hot stone. Looks dangerous to me.

<a href="http://youtu.be/L1j1QWGiiN0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/L1j1QWGiiN0</a>

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Is this how to properly handle a stone?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
I didn't watch the video, but I wouldn't take the stone out to load the pie.  I use either a normal peel, or if you want extra control - like getting a 15 1/2 inch pie on a 16 inch stone, a super peel works pretty well.    Worse comes to worse, you can slide the oven rack out a little to get a better shot at getting the pie on the stone. 

Offline moose13

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
Thats what the peel is for. Not sure what he is gaining by doing this except some burnt fingers.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
It works, I suppose, but it's very inefficient and it's a real good way to end up with inconsistent pizzas and some serious burns (like the one I have on my thumb from relocating a hot stone a couple days ago).

When I began making pizza (in 1997, when there were no real sources of pizzamaking knowledge available to people like us), I built my pizzas on a hot stone, similar to how Erik does it in the video... because I was a total beginner who had no idea what he was doing. But I soon figured out that that's not a good way to do it, so I bought a peel and began peeling my topped skins onto the stone inside the oven.

Especially considering the fact that Erik has a perfectly good wooden peel, his procedures are what I would call less practical than just about any other method I can think of. Erik seems like a nice guy, and he has obviously stretched more than a few dough skins in his life, but stretching dough seems to be pretty much the only thing he really knows about making pizza. Furthermore, his stretching knowledge seems to be limited to one particular style: the style of the restaurant where he worked.

pizzapan