Author Topic: Deep Fried Pizza: The Next Thing?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pjt

• Lifetime Member
Re: Deep Fried Pizza: The Next Thing?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:26:22 PM »
grew up eating this, i make it from time to time, the way ive always had it was deep fried dough, with tomato sauce and fresh grated pecorino or parmigiano regiano

Offline BigSausagePizza

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »
They say it's been around Italy and Europe for a long time but not in the States. Apparently they par fry the dough then apply toppings and finish cooking it in the oven. There's only a handful of places that do this. My mom just got a mini deep drier as a gift. Might give this a go some time.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »
Serious Eats talks about deep fried pizza too, along with a way to do an ersatz smoked mozzarella flavor.  SE Fried Pizza: Here 

Norma, I looked at your deep fried pizzas and was amazed.  I'd never thought of that.  What a great idea!  When we entertain, it is always fun to have some sort of "amuse bouche" - a sort of single bite flavor enticer - for the quests.  A bit size mini-pizza on deep fried dough.  Oh Yeah! 

Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
If any of you has eaten a Totino's you've had fried pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »

Norma, I looked at your deep fried pizzas and was amazed.  I'd never thought of that.  What a great idea!  When we entertain, it is always fun to have some sort of "amuse bouche" - a sort of single bite flavor enticer - for the quests.  A bit size mini-pizza on deep fried dough.  Oh Yeah!  

Tatoosh,

Good luck if you try bit size mini-pizzas!  :) I never heard of “amuse bouche”, but was interested in hearing about what they are. They sound great!  ;D

I also tried another kind of fried pizza at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13373.msg132363.html#msg132363 and other fried pizza dough at Reply 456 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg99179.html#msg99179  Bill/SFNM gave me the idea to try fried dough from his video at and I tried them at Reply http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10626.msg94448.html#msg94448  

I did eat fried pizza Forcella and posted the picture of that fried pizza at Reply 269 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17885.msg175851.html#msg175851

Norma
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:54:45 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
The last one, the "pizza muffins" is very close to what I was thinking.  Very nice indeed.

pizzamaster, no Totino's in the Philippines yet.  They do the small empanada here ... deep fried dough with a stuffing of meat, carrots and maybe potatoes, but none are pizza inspired.  My vision is more a tiny tiny pizza, not a stuffed fried pastry. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:26:11 AM by Tatoosh »
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline BigSausagePizza

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
So what's the problem? Make a basic pizza dough or whatever you normally make. Portion it into bite size portions. 2-3 oz let's say. Gently flattened them with the palm of your hands like you're gonna make tortellini and as explained in the article par fry it in a deep fryer, cool it, apply toppings, transfer it to a sheet tray and finish in the oven. There you go.