Author Topic: Ughh! High hydration doughs!  (Read 1743 times)

Online moose13

Ughh! High hydration doughs!
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:43 PM »
I am putting this under newbie because thats how i feel after my last attempt with high hydration dough.
First off can someone tell me the hydration % of this dough?
I have more problems with handling these doughs, even getting it onto my peel is a challenge. Then getting it off my peel without making a calzone out of it.
I end up using so much flour on my peel that the bottom of my pizza is caked with it. The flavor is very good i just have such a problem with handling.
What am i doing wrong? I know its a good recipe for sure. I have tried another similar dough and had problems with every pie. Any suggestions on how to handle on and off the peel?

I guess i will stick to my american style or whatever it is. I do like to knuckle stretch and toss.

Here is the link to the recipe, this is a great site as well if you have not checked it out. Some great videos.
http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/92-classic-pizza-dough-neo-neapolitan-style.html

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ughh! High hydration doughs!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »
18/24 = 75%

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
moose13,

If you are interested on this thread is where I made some of Peter Reinhartís Neo-Neapolitan pizzas with the link you provided. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.0.html and at Reply 22 I posted about high hydration doughs. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13699.msg150106.html#msg150106

If you do a forum search with the members name fazzari you also will find more posts about Peterís Reinhartís Neo-Neapolitan Pizzas.  

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
Moose, to get any constructive feedbak,  you would need to tell the computer  :-D everything about what you did,  esp,  whether you weighed ingredients or not type of flour and fermentation.  -marc

Online moose13

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:55:54 PM »
Moose, to get any constructive feedbak,  you would need to tell the computer  :-D everything about what you did,  esp,  whether you weighed ingredients or not type of flour and fermentation.  -marc

ingredients measured by weight.
KA bread flour followed the recipe and procedure to a "T"
made 3 pies. 24 hour, 48 hour, 72 hour.

Online moose13

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »
Thank you Norma!
Your pies look better than mine.
You are always a good help! 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »
Moose,  what did you do as far as kneading goes?  Also,  did you take the dough and completely douse it in flour as soon as it came out of the container?  -Marc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
moose13 ,

Another couple of links to where I tried out Johnís (fazzari) Hybrid Reinhart dough at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14368.0.html and Johnís link to his formulation at Reply 27 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13697.msg140122.html#msg140122 

Hang in there, I think you can manage a high hydration dough with some practice.   :)

Marcís questions are good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:48:13 AM »
Parchment paper.
Don

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:01:13 AM »
Moose - I would try this recipe with KA All purpose flour instead of KABF. When recipes state "bread flour", they mean flour meant to bake bread and not biscuits. That means a flour in the 11% protein range. KABF is closer to 13%, and it's protein quality is not the sort for this type of recipe workflow. Peter R. uses it to approximate Caputo, which shares the same protein count as KABF but could not be more different in every other aspect. The stretch and folds are a great way to develop gluten. But KABF is a flour that really needs much more attention to development - or else the dough might remain sticky and hard to work with if you just follow the steps in the recipe.

John

Online moose13

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!
I tried to follow the directions as stated on the site. Maybe i did not kneed or stretch and fold as much as needed.
I would kneed for a couple minutes or so and let rest for 5 as the recipe says. After reading it again not much is said about how long to kneed between rests. Good call this is probably what happened. And i will try the KAAP next time and kneed like crazy if i ever feel brave again.
I appreciate your replies!

pizzapan