Author Topic: Pizza Kettle/Weber BBQ  (Read 7632 times)

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
Pizza Kettle/Weber BBQ
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »
I have a 22.5 inch Weber BBQ Grill, the One Touch Gold version with the ash can.  I am in the Philippines and waiting for a Pizza Kettle insert to arrive by slow boat.  Maybe another month or six weeks before it hits my door step.  I ordered the semi-deluxe version that comes with a 15 inch pizza stone.  I also ordered separately, a D shaped 22 inch stone, which I'm hoping will allow me to make somewhat bigger pizzas than the OEM stone.  Considering the rough and tumble of transoceanic shipping plus the way packages are handled here, I figured buying two might get me one stone delivered unbroken.  Maybe, maybe not, time will tell.

In the unlikely event both arrive intact, I've been reading different threads here and seeing the use of fire bricks to create a makeshift brick oven on other grills and standard ovens, and it occurred to me that the smaller stone might make a good ceiling if I can find a way to suspend it in the Weber's dome. 

I think the Weber's food grill sits in the Pizza Kettle which sits where the food grill normally sits.  Otherwise, it might be easy to put the big stone on the food grill (without the Pizza Kettle installed), set the smaller stone on it and heat them both with with the dome on.  Then somehow pull the small stone off (maybe have a metal frame with handles for it made) and hang inside the dome.  Hit the Weber with a fresh load of charcoal and wood to get it up to top temperature again.  Put the Pizza Kettle on the Weber's base, the dome on the top with it's hot pizza stone ceiling and start making pizza. 

The small stone in the top should help reflect heat toward the top of the pizza.  It may help keep the air moving from the back of the oven and either helping it stay warm and perhaps even keeping the air movement over the pizza instead of circling in the dome.  Or not, hard to say. 

Is anyone else here using the Pizza Kettle or have tried it on their Weber BBQ?  Attached is a photo of one I found on the internet and resized to meet the requirements here. 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Online scott123

Re: Pizza Kettle/Weber BBQ
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »
Is there still time to cancel your Pizza Kettle order?  The Pizza Kettle looks nice, but it makes horrible pizza.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »
Is there still time to cancel your Pizza Kettle order?  The Pizza Kettle looks nice, but it makes horrible pizza.

Well, unless I can get them to turn the cargo ship around, no.  Have you used the Pizza Kettle? I have seen varying results reported, but not utter and outright failure with them.

???
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
Tatoosh, I'm sorry to hear that it's already on the water.

With a few modifications, it should be alright.  I can't seem to find the link right now, but I've seen the insert modded with a stone ceiling. You just have to drill into it right above the hole and run supports to suspend a stone on. Even with the ceiling just above the hole, it's still kind of high, but it'll be better than the dome of the grill acting as the ceiling.

Whenever you're working with a bottom heat scenario, the lower the ceiling the better. That's why these inserts don't work- they take an already too high ceiling and lift it even further.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
The manufacturer has a double grill setup (on youtube) where a second food grill is hung from top of the insert, the dome then on top of that.  They were cooking chicken at the regular grill level and with a second full size food grill set at the top of the insert, they were heating corn on the cob.

So, if they can hang a food grill there, I'm sure I can figure out a way to hang a pizza stone.  My OEM pizza stone, provided it arrives in one piece will be 15 inches, not the 22 inches I'd prefer.  But a visit to the local metal fabricator should give me a correct diameter shield that will hold the stone and help prevent air from circulating in the top of the dome.  I'm not sure if that is ideal, since some of the hot air might going to the top of the dome with the vent closed my help keep the ceiling stone's temperature up.  But that is pure supposition on my part.  

Worst case scenario, if the stone is broke, I can try to find a big piece of steel or aluminum and have it cut and dressed to the correct diameter for the ceiling.  I know some folks heating the aluminum as hot as possible with it set close to their oven's broiler, then sliding the pizza on it and letting the broiler do the top while the hot aluminum plate (3/4 or 1 inch thick) does the bottom.  

I'll sort something out. I have high hopes that pizza from a charcoal and wood heat source will pick up some flavors that just are not readily available in my kitchen oven.  Time will tell.

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
I had mixed results with the kettle grill. I modified it by hanging a stone just above the opening.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.1460.html

Have had very good results, use the link and it is towards the bottom of the page.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
FVG,

Bingo!  You have the same D shaped pizza stone I ordered and am keeping my fingers crossed will arrive in one piece.  How do you like the propane mod?  If I had another Weber to play with I might try that.  But with only one I will stick with charcoal and wood fuel.  

Questions prior to the modification:

1. Did you find it difficult to refuel the Weber?  Do you just lift the whole Kettle off the Weber, stone(s) and all to add more charcoal and wood?

2. Did you find the charcoal and wood added any flavor component to your pizza?

3. What were your cook times like?  Do you know what sort of temps you were getting with charcoal & wood fuel?

Questions about the 2nd stone:

4. I have the 14.5 or 15 inch stone coming as part of the Pizza Kettle package. Do I need to add some sort of shielding around it to close off the dome?  Or just suspend it at the top of the Kettle, below the dome, and leave the air gap?
Closer inspection of your photos made me realize you are using the D shaped stone as your top stone and closing off air movement with aluminum foil.  I really want the larger size stone on the bottom so I can make larger pizzas, possibly rectangular instead of round. So I will like suspend the smaller stone above on some sort fabricated frame that can be made to close off air circulation to the dome.

Questions about your modification:

5. What did you use to cut the circle in your base?  I don't plan to do this but the idea is very interesting.  If I set up a mobile pizza station at some point in the future, I might want to take a Weber 22.5 Silver (no ash catcher) and do that so the charcoal/wood feeding was no longer a factor.

6. How does the propane compare (pluses and minuses) to the original configuration?  Same temperatures?  No need to add wood? Just cook straight with propane?

Very nice design and execution.  Pizza looks great.  Sorry to ask so many Q's here but that is a very intriguing setup!  

Tatoosh
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:13:22 PM by Tatoosh »

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
Refueling is fairly easy the way I had it setup with the D stone on the grate I just took off the top and dropped in some coals / wood as needed. I did not detect much flavor difference using the wood and coal versus the propane setup. With coal and wood I was getting temps on the stone at around 700 degrees with the thermometer on the kettle going past its 700 degree max. I did set it up a bit differently than shown on the docs that come with the Kettle Grill.

I uses a sabre saw with a fine tooth metal blade to cut the and for now I am using just propane. While I am getting similar results with the 2 methods it is much easier to control the temperature when using propane. This is probably the biggest drawback of the Kettle Grill difficult to regulate temperatures. I get stone temps at around 750 with propane only.

Few pictures from the Kettle using coal and wood and how I set it up are below as well as pizza from this afternoon. My next attempt will be with propane and some wood I suspended the coal grates from the grill but still need to work out how I do the top stone.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
Great photos and thank you very much for sharing your experience.  Even short periods of 700F heat sounds great to me.  Or the 600F range since my home gas oven is 475F/500F maximum.  I think modifying a Weber Silver for propane is the way to go if you want a mobile unit or longer consistent burn times.  If you do wood or wood and charcoal along with the propane, will you cut a hole/door to dump the ashes?   

Feeding: I'm happy to hear it is not so difficult to lift the Kettle setup off the Weber and feed it.  That has been nagging doubt about the design.  Since we will use it for personal use or small parties where we make 3 to 6 pizzas at a time, one or two feeds should be sufficient. 

Ceiling: One thing I ran into on the internet that looks like it would make a great ceiling for the Weber/Kettle set up is this Cordierite stone that is not very expensive.  Need to do some checking to make sure it is food safe, but since it is used in pottery making, I think it likely is fine.  I've heard bakers talk about using pottery shelves to create ovens in other forums.  Diameter of 21 inches,  just shy of perfect, and at $29.95 it's way cheaper than the baking stones I bought.  Available at Axner  They do hit you for some packaging charges though. 

Dough: I was reading that the dough for wood fired pizza, which cooks at short cook times, needs to be different than the dough for ovens with longer cook times.  My flour choices are very very limited here, Gold Medal AP flour, or unknown sources of bread, AP, and cake flour that's been repackaged into clear plastic bags.  Do you have a thread where you talk about your dough experiences?

Toppings:  Does the Weber/PK cook the top enough I can put raw meats there?  Stuff like Italian sausage or similar uncooked ground beef.  Or do I need to cook/parcook those prior to using as a topping?  I'm looking forward to learning about how this all works together. 

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
Wow, long time ... no see!  Well, I'm back and we finally got to use the PizzaKettle insert for the Weber BBQ Grill.  I've had it for some time, but finding wood became a problem that only recently was resolved.  We headed down to the local woodcarver's area and found some Samdol remnants (a Malay/Philippine fruit wood) that would do nicely for wood portion of the project. 

I made a temporary wire frame and covered it with aluminum foil that hung in the top of the KettlePizza insert and served as a ceiling to keep the hot air going across the top of the pizza and not lingering in the lid of Weber.  I have plans to do a heavy wire frame with a light steel sheet perimeter and heavier steel plate center next month.  But the temporary fix worked pretty well for our initial trial. 

My biggest mistake was placing the food grate on the Weber where it would normally go.  That sat it too low, even with the Red Sky D shaped 20 inch pizza stone on top, we had to reach down to retrieve our pizza or to turn them as they cooked.  That was a pain in the patootey!  We will hang the food grate on the bottom set of wing nuts for the KettlePizza insert next time and that will raise everything up significantly.

We had a hard time turning the pizza, which was primarily due to the height problem.  But I think if the stone was hotter, it would have gone better.  I used one full chimney of local lump charcoal and three pieces of Samdol wood.  The back of the pizza stone was hitting 650F easy, the air temp was well over 700F, and the front of the pizza stone stayed a fairly low 450F or so.  Next time I'll do two chimneys worth of charcoal - putting the first one evenly along the bottom, the second one to the rear as the manufacturer recommends, and then the wood on top of the second batch of charcoal. 

Our dough was made the previous night, not to hydrated but it was still fairly sticky.  We let it do an overnight rise in the refrigerator.  It turned out pretty nice.  We had to roll our pizzas out, no one here having the hand skills to form them any other way.  Toppings were a local tomato sauce, homemade smokey mozzarella, and some pepperoni that a friend brought back from the States as a present. 

Cooking time was around 4 minutes, it might have been less if we didn't have to fuss with the pizza to get it to turn and then get it off the stone.  Overall, I was quite happy for a first go at it.  The crust, if not great, was good and nicely flavored.  The homemade mozzarella melted a bit too much, but was still much tastier than the local imported stuff. 

(http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6682/firstpizza.jpg)

(http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6384/jenturnspizza.jpg)

(http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/643/pizzacrustunderside.jpg)

(http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9991/lastpizza.jpg)

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:18:20 PM »
Hi Tatoosh

Did you get that D Stone from Red Sky Grilling  sent out to you in the Philippines from the US? I'd love to try out that stone shape in mine. What did shipping turn out to be, I've tried contact them via email but have not got anyone's attention there!

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
Yes, I did get it shipped from the USA.  I had it shipped "Balikbayan" which is a low cost format that is very popular for overseas Filipinos (OFW) to send items home to their relatives in the islands.  I also got one from KettlePizza manufacturer (a smaller round one) and was happy to see both arrived in good working order, no cracks or breaks at all.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:27:42 AM by Tatoosh »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
What's your over all thoughts on the kettle pizza? I was thinking of getting one. I have a piece of 304 stainless that will cover the whole top grate. Plus I have a 15 in 1/4 inch steel I could put up top. 

There is a used one I maybe able to get cheap. Grill and all for $85.

I'm hoping this cooking a pizza in he kettle pizza at 750 or whatever will beat cooking in an oven at 550.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:11:50 AM by jsperk »

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »
Go get it, it's fun. It has its detractors on this forum who are basically pontificating a particular set of design parameters and anybody who cooks a pizza in conditions otherwise must be a heretic. You can ignore them. I have got temperatures up to 900 deg F in mine, cooked 60 - 90 second pizzas, experimented with this and that and burnt a few along the way. The trick is to learn how to work with the fire to get the optimum temperature you want to cook at, be it 750 deg F or 900 deg F, and understand how you manage those conditions. It is not a traditional WFO, it gets to temp after about 20 minutes and it presents a window of opportunity to cook a few pies. If you are cooking a catering number on a regular basis, this is not the device for you, but if you are not it is a fun device to cook with, and its faster than a true WFO.

I too have a 304 circular steel plate on the top deck but frankly I think the lowered height is an over-rated parameter. Unless you are cooking constant feeds of pizza to feed an army, I see no moral transgression in lifting the pizza toward the dome to get a balanced bake. You are cooking it after all. On a skillet and a wok, a chef varies the heat by moving the pan, and as long as you cook it to where you want it that's fine and you should not worry about the pizza police.  I have cooked good pizza with and without the additional steel top and got good results. Due to its design, it does not retain heat, and it presents the conditions to cook in a short window of a few minutes and you may have to watch the temperature and the refuelling process, particularly if you are managing the fire and making the pizza alone.

It is about managing your kit, and also managing your cooking. No one here can guarantee that every pizza must be retrieved after 85.6 seconds or else... you take it out when it is cooked. You don't when it is not. What temps you cook at - you choose, as you choose the style of what you are cooking.

I 'dome' pizza in my traditional WFO and have no shame in it. And you'd have to admit that some of the pizza police here would claim that you should not do that and that you must have a lowered top etc....i say blahhhh. I have fun with my kettlepizza as they do with their gadgets, and they will mess with every detail in the process but refrain from doming the pizza to cook the top to how you like it.  I hope you have fun and enjoy your cooking, and the people who share your baking enjoy it too.

Online scott123

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
What's your over all thoughts on the kettle pizza?...

I'm hoping this cooking a pizza in he kettle pizza at 750 or whatever will beat cooking in an oven at 550.

Joe, no one has tested the Kettlepizza more thoroughly than Kenji, and, as far as I'm aware, he hasn't broken the 3 minute bake barrier.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/06/pizza-lab-kettle-pizza-upgrade-short.html?ref=title

I've been able to hit 3 minute bakes with malted flour, soapstone and a 550 degree oven.  With 1/2" steel, one should be able to at least match that.

In other words, if you're looking for a good way to bake a great pie outdoors, then the Kettlepizza is a good option.  If, on the other hand, you want to improve on what your home oven can do, there's no evidence to that effect. I'm not saying a balanced Neapolitan bake can't be achieved in this oven, but, so far, I haven't seen it.

Is that $85 for the Kettlepizza and the grill?  That's not a bad price- as long as the Kettlepizza is the newer, improved, lower dome model.

Also, since you seem to have access to metals, you might want to look into building your own.  It's just sheet metal curled into a circle with a door cut out, and a homegrown version need not even be that complicated- just sheet metal curled into a C. If you're getting a weber grill that will be used only for pizza, you can cut a door into the lid and avoid any insert whatsoever.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:18:50 AM »
I agree with my Australian KettlePizza compatriot.  It is not for sustained pizza production.  But I am pretty sure you can whack out 3 superior pizzas from one load of charcoal and wood.  Superior in the sense that they are made at home without the benefit of an expensive oven, either brick or other material.  Hitting 700 degrees is very do-able and that will turn out a pretty decent pizza.  Not world class, money is of little concern, pizza.  Nor one steeped in decades of custom, perhaps even centuries of tradition. 

I have heard of other pizza makers, with nice hot brick ovens lifting their pizzas toward the ceiling to give the toppings the benefit of the higher heat up there for a few seconds before pulling.  Like any approach to good food, it is a balance of ingredients, technique, and equipment.  A few folks are like Heston B., in search of perfection, others are in their backyard trying to do the best they can with what can be readily brought to hand. 

I own the older style KettlePizza insert and I will differ here with synaesthesia on preference for the newer lowered version.  I plan to put a lowered ceiling in mine within two months.  I will have a heavier steel center, where I will park a quarter or half load of charcoal (Weber Charcoal Chimney = 1 load).  The newest reviews of the KettlePizza over at the Slice include using a "pizza steel" for the ceiling.  I respect Kenji, he's good and when he isn't he borrows from the best, a rather common practice among top chefs.  The use of a steel has been incorporated, with somewhat different approaches, by Heston Bleumenthol, later seen mentioned by Kenji, but Heston did acknowledge McGee (I think) for describing it previously.  And as long as we are speaking of Kenji, I thought he waxed rather enthusiastic about the new PizzaKettle, with appropriate hacks, rather than disparaging it. 

But as synaesthesia says, its is finding how to use your equipment to produce the best product you can.  If we were talking commercial endeavors, then the Weber/KettlePizza approach would likely fail.  If however, we are talking about someone starting a journey of personal growth and experience, I highly recommend one for the beginning pizza cook wanting to start at home. 

I can say that even the first pizzas we produced, far from perfect, had a great flavor.  They benefited from being cooked in a much hotter oven than my indoor kitchen can produce.  They were better than what we buy from either the local pizza shops or the international chains here in the Philippines.  As I can, I control more and more of the ingredients.  I can't do much about the flour, we simply do not have choices available to many in other countries.  Our mozzarella is not top quality Italian buffalo mozz, but we make it ourselves, improving it when and where we can over the packaged stuff in the store.  We do our own fresh sausages and smoked bacon, though we don't do pepperoni or air dried sausages - those we buy imported.  And I find the KettlePizza a great way to start getting more serious about my pizza.  I highly recommend it for those starting on the pizza path that enjoy experimenting and growing.     
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:07:03 AM by Tatoosh »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »
Nice post and pizzas Tatoosh!  I would love to see more of your pizzas made in the Phillipines.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I bought just the kettle insert from the guy. Another guy just wanted the grill and no desire to make pizza on the grill. The guy got the kettle as gift and never used and they are moving and he didn't want to take the kettle and pizza kettle. '

He said how about $30 I just want rid of it. I said deal. I couldn't pass that up. The other guy got a good deal on the weber performer. I would have been happy to pay $85 for both.

I will be making usually 2 or 3 pies at time usually.  I got because I love making pizza and cooking outside on my weber, so it seems like a good combo.

I would love a brick oven but that's not in the budget now. 

I will start a new thread once I cook on it.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »
jsperk, I think you will find this an interesting tool and a chance to experience making pizza in a new way.  It is sort of "Right Here, Right Now" when the pizzas hit the stone.  A bit like a dancer or actor stepping out to do the first show in front of a live audience.  Time to do it and be quick about it.  He who hesitates goes from leopard to black panther pretty darn quick!

You'll need something to turn your pizzas with on the stone.  I have the OEM bit of kit for that, but a couple of long pieces of steel with some sort of hook on the end will work.  You'll need two for sure.  There may be other ways to turn it, but turn it you will need to do since the back end is significantly hotter.  Reaching in with a shorter steel fork or spatula is a no no, it is way too hot in there.  Be sure to have something with good reach all the way to the rear. 

I very much look forward to hearing about your experiences with the PizzaKettle. Good luck!  We are making mozzarella today for another go at it tomorrow.  I'm looking at a couple of different options for adjusting the height of the stone to the "door" of the PizzaKettle.  For sure, you don't want it significantly lower than the cut out, it is a royal pain to retrieve a pizza if the stone is even an inch or so below the cutout.  Whatever I cobble up tomorrow, I'll post and report. 

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
Tatoosh

I place the Weber kettle food grille inside the insert and it rests on the three wing nuts.
I have never done it any other way,  it's stable and your stone should be higher that the 'mouth'.

See pic.  :D

BTW, I have the Kettlepizza 'turners'. I have to say I find that it pokes the dough or pizza in a way I don't like it to whilst baking. (It is odd that I tried to used the word "p-r-i-c-k-s" legitimately and have changed it to 'pokes' because the forum automatically changes that p word to 'buggers'!!! I find that odd ... as one is a slang word for genitalia and the autocorrect word is ruder - it means to sodomise!!)  :-D  :-D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:17:25 AM by synaesthesia »

pizzapan