Author Topic: Pizza Kettle/Weber BBQ  (Read 10336 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Kettle/Weber BBQ
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »
 I closed the top vent all they way but left my bottom vent all the way open.  Do you all leave the bottom open or close it some? I may try and close it down ar least half way.

Thanks

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 12:36:07 AM »
jsperk

Top vent:  closed. If you use foil on the top completely  effectively the vent is blocked off anyway.  If you have a steel plate on top covering most of it, the kettle lid's vent is not effective. I am toying with the  idea of using flashing to seal of the gap between top disc and the kettle lid to see what difference that makes. I could use foil, but the point of getting the disc was so i don't have to bother with foil. Plus you can cook on the SS disc, you can do teppanyaki  or any other flat surface cooking (on other occasions of course! not advocating that you do both at the same time, the kettle pizza demands that you manage your fire!)  8).

Bottom Vent: Open, you need air to come in so the coals will reach flaming heat. If you close it, your main source of air is the mouth of the insert. In draughty days, you get a natural bellows effect on a fire from the up draught, you 'fan the flames' as it were.

There is another kettlepizza thread on this forum that Elijah started and I have a pic of a 90 second bake there. I recall it was a windy day. ::)
edit: here it is
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19017.20.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:48:59 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to close the bottom all the way. I was just thinking half way after I get the fire going. It seemed to hot and burnt my pie. I guess some messing around to figure out what works best will take some time.

pizzapan