Author Topic: Pizza Kettle/Weber BBQ  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
Re: Pizza Kettle/Weber BBQ
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
Thanks for the photo showing your setup, synaesthesia.  I hear you on the pizza turners, but given the temps and higher heat in the rear of the unit, we have to rotate it somehow.  I tore a few pizzas too with it's prickly fingers when I bug ... bug ... poked them!  :-[    I may have the spikes ground off and a round edge welded on.  I'm on the hunt for a short handled, round pizza peel.  Smallish, maybe 9 or 10 inch diameter that I can slip under the pizza when I need to turn it and then one of the pizza turners to get the pizza to rotate.  Then it can do duty as peel, hopefully when the pizza is done, it won't need a full peel underneath it to support it as I pull it out.

I'm very impressed with the 900 degrees, that is Fahrenheit, not Celsius, right?  What style of pizza are you making?  And how are you handling your meats?  I'm thinking I will need to pre-cook raw sausages or ground meats, but not seafood that cooks quickly.  So if I make an Italian Sausage, I need to cook it, or at least partially cook it prior to topping the pizza.  This was not a concern when i cooked in my kitchen oven at lower temps and raw meats had plenty of time to finish.   Shrimp and such, a favorite of my wife on pizza.  They cook quickly enough and at the temps in the Weber, I don't see a problem.  We will, in effect, be throwing "a few shrimps on the barbie" a la Paul Hogan. 

The word substitution is likely an example of humor by the either the site's owner or the site's programmer/designer.  Not the first time I've run into similar automatic replacements.   :D
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 01:01:50 AM »
Hi Tatoosh

With this set up,  I now mostly use the kettlepizza metal peel for it's short handle to rotate the pizza.

I get high temps by using two baskets of coal and spiking the temp with kindling pieces. The type of kindling we get here are about 1" sq in section and about 12" long. I started with those and then got adventurous with the fire. I think I've decided after burning a few pies to scale down a bit.... :angel:  It is possible to get a 60 - 70 second bake, but it is some trial and error to get it to the point where you don't burn the pizza.   I sent a video to Al at Kettlepizza of a 65 second bake. (edit: this video is on the jsperk Kettlepizza cook thread) It was slight more charred at the bottom on one edge than I would normally make, but it is a matter of fine tuning if you want to reach some numerical specs. I've hit a 80 second perfect bake. I've burnt a few with too high a temp on the surface of the stone......After a few burnt pies, my wife and I decided we'd rather cook to eat than cook to VPN timing!

Lately I have been messing with the height of the fire-basket, stacking one above the other for less of a fire down below effect.

The pics below show today's set up with the steel top. The flap sections have been removed from the weber grills, and refelling is easy by loading from the front and pushing the wood pieces to the back over the stone where the fire it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:05:56 AM by synaesthesia »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
Synaesthesia,

I like the handles on the  steel top.  I have a round piece of stainless 304 that covers the top, that is what I will doing also. I hope to test soon.

I have this I was going to cook on. Either just use the stone or use it with the metal insert if it don't lift to high to cause issues getting the pie in the opening.

http://www.thecooksden.com/villaware-pizza-grill-stainless-steel-barbeque-baking-stone/

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »
Synaesthesia, thank you for the photos.  They really helped me see what I should be doing.  I did move my food grate and stone up to the lower set of wing nuts on the KettlePizza insert.  Wow!  What a difference that made.  I also sorted out the problem, at least for me, with the turning forks from the manufacturer.  Before, due to the lower height of the pizza stone, I could only come down from above to turn the pizza.  Once I had the pizza slightly above the entrance of the insert, I could turn it easily, so long as I turned the upside down, with the prongs pointing up.  I used the thin length to slide under the pizza to keep it from sticking to the stone.  I may have got one or two small tears, but nothing like before.  Keeping it turning was not a problem. 

I used a double load of charcoal, and hit my 700F temps without a problem, actually a bit higher, the stone in the high 670's most of the time.  I did 3 pizzas and could have done one, maybe two more without reloading.  The homemade mozzarella melted nicely, even though it was not as stretchy when we made it as normal. 

All in all, I'm quite pleased that I have a pretty good platform to cook on.  I can start working on a better dough, improving my sauce, and so forth.  But turning out a pizza in 3 to 4 minutes ... easy now.  That is such a major improvement over my home oven.  It is not a "easy" stick in the stove solution, so if you are looking for convenience along with excellence, the KettlePizza approach is probably not a great choice.  You have to get charcoal going, add wood, balance your pizzas in and out of the stove quickly.  You have to be there and on it, not sipping a beer and chatting.  But I love that.  But if you are willing to pay attention, you've got something to do do 3-4 minute pizzas with and for under $400 bucks total: Weber, KettlePizza insert, stone and all.

Photos to follow shortly.  Yip! Yip! Yipee!  :pizza:

Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
JsPerk

Just to be sure, I use the normal Weber lid on top of the steel disc.
The handles to the disc are just off the shelf SS handles from the DIY shop.

If you are getting a baking stone get a cordierite one and not the thinner ceramic ones which the high street kitchen gadgets sell. Those will crack under the heat that the Kettle pizza produces. My son got me one  of those for Christmas, and it cracked in its first use.

Synaesthesia,

I like the handles on the  steel top.  I have a round piece of stainless 304 that covers the top, that is what I will doing also. I hope to test soon.

I have this I was going to cook on. Either just use the stone or use it with the metal insert if it don't lift to high to cause issues getting the pie in the opening.

http://www.thecooksden.com/villaware-pizza-grill-stainless-steel-barbeque-baking-stone/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:57:52 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »
 I closed the top vent all they way but left my bottom vent all the way open.  Do you all leave the bottom open or close it some? I may try and close it down ar least half way.

Thanks

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 12:36:07 AM »
jsperk

Top vent:  closed. If you use foil on the top completely  effectively the vent is blocked off anyway.  If you have a steel plate on top covering most of it, the kettle lid's vent is not effective. I am toying with the  idea of using flashing to seal of the gap between top disc and the kettle lid to see what difference that makes. I could use foil, but the point of getting the disc was so i don't have to bother with foil. Plus you can cook on the SS disc, you can do teppanyaki  or any other flat surface cooking (on other occasions of course! not advocating that you do both at the same time, the kettle pizza demands that you manage your fire!)  8).

Bottom Vent: Open, you need air to come in so the coals will reach flaming heat. If you close it, your main source of air is the mouth of the insert. In draughty days, you get a natural bellows effect on a fire from the up draught, you 'fan the flames' as it were.

There is another kettlepizza thread on this forum that Elijah started and I have a pic of a 90 second bake there. I recall it was a windy day. ::)
edit: here it is
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19017.20.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:48:59 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to close the bottom all the way. I was just thinking half way after I get the fire going. It seemed to hot and burnt my pie. I guess some messing around to figure out what works best will take some time.

pizzapan