Author Topic: why to adjust oil after baking?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Gilbert

why to adjust oil after baking?
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »
Why i have to adjust (olive)oil on the pizza after baking? Because i have to put already oil in the dough and sauce...

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: why to adjust oil after baking?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
That makes like no sense. Care to clarify? I don't know how you adjust the amount of oil in a dough that has already been baked. No one else does, either. And you don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

Offline Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
That makes like no sense. Care to clarify? I don't know how yoiiu
 adjust the amount of oil in a dough that has already been baked. No one else does, either. And you don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

Sorry for the misunderstanding..
I mean adjust oil above the pizza after baking.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
Gilbert,

I think I know what you are talking about. Oil in the dough is mainly for texture. Oil on top of the dough before baking is mainly for browning. Oil on top of the dough after baking is mainly for flavor. In the case of olive oil, the heat of the oven can drive off some or all of the desirable flavors contributed by the oil. That is why sometimes one may want to drizzle a tasty oil on the pizza after baking.

Is this what you are getting at?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding..
I mean adjust oil above the pizza after baking.
Sorry for responding like a smartass.

Are you referring to drizzling oil on top of the pizza? If that's what you mean: Don't do it if you don't want to do it. I don't do it, just like I don't do a lot of other things "they" told me to do when I first started making pizza. Like brushing the rim of the dough skin with oil. That's what the cookbooks told me to do in the late 90s (when I started making pizza), but eventually I realized I knew more about pizza than the people who wrote my cookbooks. Once I made that realization, I began questioning why they told me to do certain things and I began doing things for practical reasons that made sense to me. To me, brushing the dough with oil is impractical and creates no results that I'm looking for, just like drizzling olive oil creates no results that I'm looking for. So I don't do it.

Next time you make a pizza, don't drizzle oil on the pizza. If you end up liking it better without drizzling the olive oil, then that's the best way for you to do it.

Offline Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
Gilbert,

I think I know what you are talking about. Oil in the dough is mainly for texture. Oil on top of the dough before baking is mainly for browning. Oil on top of the dough after baking is mainly for flavor. In the case of olive oil, the heat of the oven can drive off some or all of the desirable flavors contributed by the oil. That is why sometimes one may want to drizzle a tasty oil on the pizza after baking.

Is this what you are getting at?

Bill, thanks for the answer... Yes, this is what i mean. So now i know that it's to hold the desirable flavors by the oil.

Offline Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »
Sorry for responding like a smartass.

Are you referring to drizzling oil on top of the pizza? If that's what you mean: Don't do it if you don't want to do it. I don't do it, just like I don't do a lot of other things "they" told me to do when I first started making pizza. Like brushing the rim of the dough skin with oil. That's what the cookbooks told me to do in the late 90s (when I started making pizza), but eventually I realized I knew more about pizza than the people who wrote my cookbooks. Once I made that realization, I began questioning why they told me to do certain things and I began doing things for practical reasons that made sense to me. To me, brushing the dough with oil is impractical and creates no results that I'm looking for, just like drizzling olive oil creates no results that I'm looking for. So I don't do it.

Next time you make a pizza, don't drizzle oil on the pizza. If you end up liking it better without drizzling the olive oil, then that's the best way for you to do it.

Thanks for the clear answer!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
So now i know that it's to hold the desirable flavors by the oil.

Gilbert,

If oil is added to the pizza before baking it will also serve to capture many of the flavors of the various toppings as they bake. Otherwise, if volatile, those flavor components may burn off and disappear from the pizza. To the extent that the surface oil is on the unbaked rims of the pizzas, there will be some contribution to crust coloration because of the good heat transfer characteristics of the oil.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »
If oil is added to the pizza before baking it will also serve to capture many of the flavors of the various toppings as they bake. Otherwise, if volatile, those flavor components may burn off and disappear from the pizza. To the extent that the surface oil is on the unbaked rims of the pizzas, there will be some contribution to crust coloration because of the good heat transfer characteristics of the oil.

For this reason, on pies such as a Margherita where I use EVOO, I add it before the bake. For pies I used infused oils such as truffle or lemon, I add it after the bake.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
Gilbert,

Peter

Peter, thanks for the information. Now i know if oil is added to the pizza before baking it will also serve to capture the flavors of the various toppings.

Offline Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
For this reason, on pies such as a Margherita where I use EVOO, I add it before the bake. For pies I used infused oils such as truffle or lemon, I add it after the bake.

CL

Cl, thanks. So as i understand you add the more expensive oils after the bake.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
Cl, thanks. So as i understand you add the more expensive oils after the bake.

It's not really about the cost but rather the flavor. The flavor components are volatile and will evaporate off your pie as it bakes.

Withe the EVOO, I prefer the cooked flavor of the oil with the tomatoes during the bake.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.