Author Topic: Wife is out of town Neapolitans  (Read 1557 times)

Offline pizza dr

Wife is out of town Neapolitans
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »
Wife is out of town and the kids want pizza... no salad... no chicken... no turkey...PIZZA. 

We had a great time tonight ( well at least I did  ;D)  I went off the grid a little with their normal pizzas so they were a little put off but in the end we had a great time. 

some pics

Scot

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Wife is out of town Neapolitans
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:20:21 AM »
Fun! how old are your kids?

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:23:21 AM »
more...

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
more...

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:36:05 AM »
Jeffery

Kids are 8 and 11.  They definitely know what they want for pizza though.  We were in LA last weekend and me and my son went to Mozza.  Pretty darn good.  What ticked me off  was that he said my shroom pie just didn't cut it  >:(  I thought it was the best ever ;D

Oh well

Scot

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 01:20:05 AM »
Wow! Definitely, the best pies you've posted! I love the leoparding and the puff around he rim!  What was your workflow for this batch?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 01:24:53 AM »
Jeffery

Kids are 8 and 11.  They definitely know what they want for pizza though.  We were in LA last weekend and me and my son went to Mozza.  Pretty darn good.  What ticked me off  was that he said my shroom pie just didn't cut it  >:(  I thought it was the best ever ;D

Oh well

Scot

Scot, I'm pretty sure this batch will blow Mozza out of the water.  I've had their pies several times and the crust doesn't do anything for me. Also, any leftover becomes tough as leather.  Their toppings are quite inventive though.

Marlon

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 01:38:52 AM »
Thanks Marlon :)

I think I'm getting closer to where I want to be... and most importantly CONSISTANT.    Man, I have had some trouble getting some consistency.  

This batch was

100 % caputo pizzaria
58 % H2O
3% NaCl
2.8% Sour dough culture

Mixed in KA for 8 minutes at lowest speed.  Hand kneaded for 30 seconds and into bins for bulk fermentation for 24 hours at 65 degrees.  Balled for 24 hours at 65 degrees.  Brought to room temp 1 hour prior to bake.

I could really get sour notes from the cornice on this bake.  I enjoyed it... kids... not so much.

Scot

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 01:44:44 AM »
Scot, I'm pretty sure this batch will blow Mozza out of the water.  I've had their pies several times and the crust doesn't do anything for me. Also, any leftover becomes tough as leather.  Their toppings are quite inventive though.

Marlon

Agreed

I'm not sure why they feel they have to brush a bunch of olive oil onto to the crust.  I think it would be better without.  They do have some quality toppings.. I had a buffalo mozz with fried capers and olives... pretty tasty.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 01:48:55 AM »
Oh by the way... that egg on the Boscaiola pie is influenced by you my friend.  ;D

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 02:39:03 AM »
Agreed

I'm not sure why they feel they have to brush a bunch of olive oil onto to the crust.  I think it would be better without.  They do have some quality toppings.. I had a buffalo mozz with fried capers and olives... pretty tasty.

Too much money for me though ($17-24) for a 10-11 inch pie with a rather thick cornicione at that. 

I agree on the olive oil.  But, I saw a video of their exec chef who said that their oven runs at around 550-575F and their bake time was at 8 mins.  If they run it much higher, I'm quite sure the olive oil in the crust will not be pleasant. 

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 02:41:07 AM »
Thanks Marlon :)

I think I'm getting closer to where I want to be... and most importantly CONSISTANT.    Man, I have had some trouble getting some consistency.  

There is only one solution to your problem . . . You will have to make pizza at least 2x a week.   :-D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
Scot,

Your pies sure look delicious with the nice leoparding and moist inside rim.  :chef: Love the choice of dressings you used.  Your oven looks great too!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »
Thanks Norma!

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
Marlon you are correct with the oven temps at Mozza.  I talked to the manager and he said the floor was at around 500 degrees... He looked at my son and said "hot huh".  I had to kick him under the table as he was about to give him a lesson on floor temps  :-D

I'm not sure why they have decided to use that formulation for their pizzas.  Ditch the olive oil, get some 00 flour and get those bake times at around a minute.  Better and Faster. 

But I have to say... there was a line of people clamoring to get in the door for that 20 dollar pizza!  Whatever works I guess

Scot

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »
Fantastic leoparding and crumb. Excellent work.

John

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
Marlon you are correct with the oven temps at Mozza.  I talked to the manager and he said the floor was at around 500 degrees... He looked at my son and said "hot huh".  I had to kick him under the table as he was about to give him a lesson on floor temps  :-D

I'm not sure why they have decided to use that formulation for their pizzas.  Ditch the olive oil, get some 00 flour and get those bake times at around a minute.  Better and Faster. 

But I have to say... there was a line of people clamoring to get in the door for that 20 dollar pizza!  Whatever works I guess

Scot

Yes and it's been like than since they opened a few years ago.  Same with their Newport Beach location.  It's mostly hype being associated with Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton.  People think its the best because it's owned by celebrity chefs.  It's funny, in the video, their executive chef said that he would demo how to carefully open a dough.  And true enough, he pokes a rather large hole in the middle of the skin on two separate occasions.   :-D

Marlon

Marlon

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
Fantastic leoparding and crumb. Excellent work.

John

Coming from you that is indeed a compliment that I will take!

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
Yes and it's been like than since they opened a few years ago.  Same with their Newport Beach location.  It's mostly hype being associated with Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton.  People think its the best because it's owned by celebrity chefs.  It's funny, in the video, their executive chef said that he would demo how to carefully open a dough.  And true enough, he pokes a rather large hole in the middle of the skin on two separate occasions.   :-D

Marlon

Marlon

Soooooo other than your backyard where do you get some good pizza in LA?

Scot

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
Soooooo other than your backyard where do you get some good pizza in LA?

Scot
I don't care much for Mozza at all. Your best choice is going to be Setebello. I haven't been there since they opened up in Pasadena but I have been to the SLC and LV locations which are very good. Also you could try Pizzeria Ortica, which may be out of the way. For lunch they did a $20 prix fixe that was quite good. A good salad, a margherita and a scoop of gelato.

pizzapan