Author Topic: Metal proofing pans?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline moose13

Metal proofing pans?
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »
I ordered three of these with one lid.
They seem a bit small to me, may need to make smaller dough balls.
I was just wondering if anyone else uses these? Any thoughts?

Offline franko9752

Re: Metal proofing pans?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »
I use these at home and work fine. For my 3 night pizza gig i use dough trays with lid.

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
That's what I use.  Perfect size for a 14" pie ball.  Probably work with a 16" too.  I've noticed that they also keep my dough cooler than in a plastic proofing tray, and thus they get fewer bubbles, even after sitting in the fridge for four or five days. 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:07:55 AM »
Moose;
When I use dough pans like that I lightly oil the pan, then drop in the dough ball, and lightly oil the top of the dough ball. I place them in the fridge uncovered for about 90-minutes to allow the dough to cool uniformly. This prevents the formation of condensation inside of the pan. Then cover and kiss it good night. When you're ready to use the dough  just remove it from the fridge, leaving it covered, and let it set at room temperature for about 90-minutes (some experimenting will be necessary to find out what works best for you), then turn the dough out of the pan into a bowl of flour and begin opening the dough ball into a pizza skin for dressing.
Plain old plastic bread bags are a good alternative to the metal dough cans. The only down side to then is that they don't stack well.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan