Author Topic: Modern in New Haven  (Read 2624 times)

Offline stonepie

• I Love Pizza!
Modern in New Haven
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:07:59 PM »
Another good pizza place but not on Wooster Street is Modern Apizza on State Street.  For years I have thought it was in the top three, right up there with Pepe's and Sally's.

However, the last time I was there (8/27/05) the quality had slipped somewhat.  Has anyone else noticed this? 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Modern in New Haven
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 01:08:42 AM »
I have been going to the big three for a five years now.  What I have noticed is that the toppings and crust still seem to be of the same quality, but the pizzaiolo must have changed.   The pies are dry and often way more cooked on one side than another.  Is this consistant with what you have seen?

Offline stonepie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 07:25:38 AM »
Dry and flat!  Edges were thin, as though the pizzaiolo used a rolling pin.  (I wasn't in a position to watch.)  Otherwise pretty good, but really not up to NH standards.  Maybe it was just a bad night; I will give them another chance. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 09:36:51 AM »
I have had the same experience at Modern.  You can tell they are using the right ingrediants, though.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
The cornicone in NH pies are purposely knocked down.........first thing they teach in NH.

Offline Anthony A

• Sunday Sauce Diary
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
Modern, definitely makes a solid pie. I just do not think it is a destination stop. I believe that there is still significant distance between Pepe's and Modern, especially in terms of the crust. However, my experience with both dates back about 4 years now. Some say that Pepe's standards and quality have diminished somewhat with all the expansion of the brand that has taken place. I have found the crust to be stellar on all my visits.

I am long overdue for a New Haven Pizza Crawl. I still have yet to visit Sally's to round out a tasting of the famed New Haven triumvirate.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »
wow, those were some old posts of mine... forgot about this thread.    Lately I have been preferring modern to pepes and sallys.    They use more cheese than the other two spots, and high gluten flour (rather than bread flour at pepes/sallys) so its a little closer to NY style pizza.    The sauce is more pepe's style than sallys (they use an italian tomato) It is super high quality lately, so dont fear modern!    its a killer 6 minute pizza.         

Scott 123....  saw your post in another thread...definitely not cali tomatos.... frank was thinking of sallys when he told you that.   

pizzapan