Author Topic: Toto's Pizza in the SF Bay Area  (Read 2974 times)

Offline zappcatt

Toto's Pizza in the SF Bay Area
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:01:55 AM »
Has anyone here eaten at Toto's? If so, what did you think.

I was raised on Toto's as what real pizza is, starting at the Daly City store, then teh San Bruno store. After they closed DC, I stopped by Belmont to check it out.

On their menu, they call it "Authentic Neapolitan Pizza Since 1932".

In the "good old days" They used wood burning ovens, but "got with the times" and switched to Bakers Pride awhile ago.

Just wondering.
Zack
p.s. If anyone has a recipe for crust/sauce I would love to see it.
p.p.s. I asked if they sold dough balls or ingredients and they said no.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Toto's Pizza in the SF Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 01:51:54 AM »
Zack,

Back in the 70's I lived near the Daly City store (around the corner from the BART station, right?) and remember trying Toto's several times and not being very impressed. At that time I had already experienced genuine Neapolitan pizza. Now this was a million years ago, but IIRC, Toto's was more in New York style.

Bill/SFNM

Offline zappcatt

Re: Toto's Pizza in the SF Bay Area
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 03:09:19 AM »
Yes, Toto's Daly City was near BART. They lost that shop through the BART's "immenent domain" claim to take the line out to SFO.

My parents actually grew up eating at Toto's in SF. That store had burnt down well before I was born, so I ate at the "second generation" SF bay area shops. The Totos pizzeria was actually started in 1932 in NYC, so I am not surprised to hear that they are closer to NY style.

My favorite pizza is Margherita, and the best one that I have ever had was in Bergamo. I was visiting our distributor and asked him to take me to a local shop. They were closed since we had missed the Italian lunchtime, but they opened the store for us...Yummmmmmm

pizzapan