Author Topic: sauce blending  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Gilbert

sauce blending
« on: April 22, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
Do i have to blend the tomatos from the can with capers etc. intensive with the blender or just a bit with the fork? For the taste it seems me better no to blend to much but maybe there are reasons for blending the sauce with the machine.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: sauce blending
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »
I try to make everything as simple as possible, which always makes things easier and almost always makes things better. As a result, I've never even thought about using capers; I don't even know what they are. If I could find the ideal tomato product (which I'm sure exists), I would never need to process it. The tomato product would go straight from the can to the container, and I'd only add a few extra flavors, which may include salt, garlic, and/or basil, and probably nothing else. Simplicity.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »
Simplicity would be tomato and salt.   ;)

I would never reccomend using a blender - certainly not if you are adding oil to the sauce. You will end up incorporating a bunch of air and have pink froth - not sauce. If you are using whole peeled tomatoes and need them chopped up, you can use a stick blender if you are very careful and don't let it suck in any air. I prefer a food mill. You can always use your hands too.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
Simplicity would be tomato and salt.   ;)

I would never reccomend using a blender - certainly not if you are adding oil to the sauce. You will end up incorporating a bunch of air and have pink froth - not sauce. If you are using whole peeled tomatoes and need them chopped up, you can use a stick blender if you are very careful and don't let it suck in any air. I prefer a food mill. You can always use your hands too.

CL

I hate that pink froth. Not very tasty, I've done it before.

Offline Bill 001

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »
I would never reccomend using a blender - certainly not if you are adding oil to the sauce.
CL

Been using a blender for years, and yes there is oil in my sauce.  Never had a pink froth problem.  Please note, I am NOT advising the use of a blender for sauce, simply posting my experience.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
One of the problems that you can encounter using a blender to mix the sauce is shearing of the tomato, this results in excessive weeping (watering out) of the tomato portion of the sauce and in general, this is not a good thing. For this reason, a more gentle blending action is desirable when making a sauce. Some may use a planetary mixer with a flat beater, some use just their hands, others use a hand whisk, and still others use nothing but a large spoon. Remember, the idea is to blend, not puree the sauce.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »
Why not a puree?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Why not a puree?

I think Tom is saying that excess cutting of the tomato causes the flesh to loose more water. Personally speaking, I've been much happier with my sauce since moving from a stick blender to a food mill.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »
Thanks for all the comments! I will just simply use my hands and for large quantity the food mill.

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »
hands make a better sauce,  I used to use one of those little rocket chef hand cranked salsa machine thingy's for my tomato's,  tried it by hand this last time,  much better sauce with some substance to it.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »

Make a pesto with a mortar/pestle

Then make one in a food processor..

:angel: