Author Topic: My first Chicago style deep dish  (Read 904 times)

Offline jives

My first Chicago style deep dish
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
I've been working on perfecting my NY style pizza for years.  Well, we went to Chicago in February and my wife, son, and I fell in love with Malnati's pizza.  So, I decided to start working on the Chicago style to see how I did.  Today was the first one, and I must say, I'm very pleased.  I used BTB's Malnati dough recipe and I doctored up a sauce recipe I found on the internet and I think it turned out great.  The only thing I'd change is I would bake it a few minutes longer so the bottom of the crust got just a little crispier.  But, that's really a minor complaint.  I ended up pulling the pie out early because I put some parmesan/romano/provolone on top and it started to brown before I was really ready to take it out.  I think next time, I'll put some foil over it the last 10 minutes of the bake and see how that turns out.  Here are a couple of pics; let me know what you think.

Offline CDNpielover

Re: My first Chicago style deep dish
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »
Looks delicious!  It could just be the angle, but the crust looks really thick for a chicago deep dish.  Did you use the correct amount of dough for your pan?  Or, did you let it rise in the pan?  I'm sure it tasted great, though!

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »
I'd eat that. It does look like the entire slice of pizza is 2 inches thick? Nice job though.

Offline jives

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:26:53 AM »
Now that you mention it, I think I could have pressed the dough out a little thinner on the bottom.  The recipe I used was for a 12" pan, but it turned out I had an 11" pan so it did seem like I had a little too much dough.  Thanks for the feedback!