Author Topic: Conifer Yes or No?  (Read 964 times)

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
Conifer Yes or No?
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
I will be using a Weber grill with a Pizza Kettle (W/PK) insert on top.  The Pizza Kettle maker says to use charcoal and wood to bring the temperature up to the 700F range.  Where I live in the Philippines, there are lots of confirs: pine trees for the most part.  I know these are not good for smoking meat, but is the same true for a short exposure pizza?  Smoked meats would be exposed for hours, but a pizza is a matter of a few minutes.  I am guessing that pine or any conifer wood is not good.  But I thought I'd ask just in case others have experience and can answer more expertly. 

I will need to head down the mountain to the flat lands and hunt wood there.  Not a big deal, but if I can wander over to the local market, buy the wood there (pine or whatever) and use that, it would be more convenient.  Hardwoods are harder to come buy and expensive here, but there are quite a variety of trees in the Philippines.   
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Conifer Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
Smoke from conifer resins can definitely add an acrid flavor, even with a short exposure. If the wood is burned down to coals before baking, you could be OK. Different species will have different levels of resins. Also, creosote can accumulate on the surfaces of the kettle that could be difficult to remove.  

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »
I've cooked a lot of fish directly over fires made from various pine trees (generally with open flames) when camping, and I can't remember ever having a problem. That being said, no pine will pass through the door of my WFO even for the warm up though I know people who do it with no problems.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
no way.  Not only will you get the nasty taste as Bill said, but that cresosote buildup inside your oven?  It's flammable!  Exactly what happens in chimney fires.
You should consider going with propane.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:35 PM »
Thanks guys, you are confirming pretty much what I've thought.  Like Txcraig, I've cooked over pine outdoors, but never used it for indoor fires of any sort.  I don't think we used it even for fireplace wood in the Northwest where there was a lot of it.  So all the conifers are off the list.  I just wanted to double check in case there was an exception or I was mistaken.  Like they say, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

pizzapan