Author Topic: How do I make better pizza with what I have?  (Read 4143 times)

Offline h_t

Re: How do I make better pizza with what I have?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 11:08:44 PM »
so should I expect to get similar results on a steel plate I got on a flipped over cast iron pan?

re size - my oven rack is only about 14" deep (to the lip), but it's about 20" wide.

buceriasdon

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
i would expect you will get better results because of the greater thickness. If you're not baking pies bigger than say 12" then a 14x14 is fine.
Don

scott123

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 12:20:55 AM »
H_t, 1/2" steel plate stores a lot more heat than 1/8" cast iron, so you get a faster/better bake, as Don pointed out.

While there's a lot of people that are happy with 12" pizzas, once you really start taking pizza seriously, 12" is kind of pitiful.  The lip on the shelf is like an inch, isn't it? If the lip does stick out that far, I might look into supporting the steel plate on steel bars instead, and extending the plate all the way to the back of the oven.

Btw, as long as the door closes, you'll be okay.  You want to be touching the lip and just about touching the door. If that dimension is 14.5", get a 14.5" square stone.  If it's 14.75", go with 14.75".  Every fraction of an inch helps.

Offline h_t

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
ok ,thanks

Offline gfgman

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Hey.  Good luck with your pies.  I use a cheap rectangle stone, preheated in a 525 oven.  If it cracks, I keep using it until I decide it is too dirty or too many pieces.  I'm ver happy with how the pies turn out.  The reheat slices are good too.  I also use a bread machine to mix.  I dump everything in except for 1/2 cup of flour, mix for 3 minutes, rest for 20, add the remaining flour, and mix for 30 minutes.  As long as the flour amount is right, the dough comes out perfect for me every time.  I don't yet use a scale to weigh the ingredients, but I do use one to evenly divide the finished dough. 

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »
I dont know,  if it is a self cleaning oven,  which can reach what 900??  1000? degrees in the cleaning cycle,  why would you worry about it handling more than 550 degrees???????

pizzapan