Author Topic: Poolish for Bread Machine Dough?  (Read 971 times)

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
Poolish for Bread Machine Dough?
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:45 AM »
I've been looking over some of the many recipes here.  I am aiming for a thin crust to NY- Neapolitan style pizza on a hot pizza stone, 650F to 700F (Weber with Kettle Pizza Insert).  My restraints are no stand mixer but two bread machines.  Hand mixing has to be limited to short periods due to medical considerations or I have to pass the duty over to a younger family member.  Down the road we will be trying to make Chicago Style Deep Dish too, but that will a bit in the future.   Those will be baked in the oven.

My Pizza and their crusts up to now have been baked in a home oven (propane) that hits 475F maximum with a pizza stone.  I have been using King Arthur's Beer Pizza Dough recipe for a thin crust that we partially bake 5 minutes, then top (or store) and finish.  Some structure to it and nicely crispy.  I will try this recipe in the W/PK setup, but I'm looking to move away from the very crispy crust and more toward a Neapolitan style.

I have looked at Peter-zza's emergency recipe guide too.  But I can do a dough with allow a longer time in a refrigerator for 24 hour or more.  So the constraints are primarily the necessity of a machine and the ingredients: AP flour (Gold Medal or equiv) and IDY or ADY but no sourdough starters.  I have two, one is 220v Australian without OEM identification, the second is a 110v Toastmaster 1172. 

I also printed out Jackie Tran's guide to Basic Easy to Remember NY Recipes and have been reading that thread.  I'm guessing that a higher hydration dough might be the better choice for my W/PK setup if I'm seeing good 700F or higher temperatures. 

I used to make a 1:1 poolish 12 hours ahead before we got the bread machines.  Hand kneading by myself and family was problematic due to various factors, so we went to the bread machines.  I have not been using a poolish or autolyzing since the bread machine instructions says to add liquids first, dry ingredients second.  But maybe I should mix them, let them sit for 20 minutes, then add to the machine, along with the poolish and any other ingredients before hitting the on button for the dough setting? 

Any ideas or observations for a bread machine dough aimed at either thin crust or NY/Neapolitan styles will be appreciated. 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
Re: Poolish for Bread Machine Dough?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong category.  I got a bit confused.  I thought a sponge is a sort of poolish or biga.  Is it considered a soudough or natural yeast process here? 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Poolish for Bread Machine Dough?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
Tatoosh - This is the correct thread. You can make your poolish and then mix it in the water inside the bread machine first - even using the bread machine action to do the work.

John