Author Topic: Newb starter question - keeping starter warm  (Read 1250 times)

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Newb starter question - keeping starter warm
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
I just bought a couple of starters from Sourdo.com. In the activation instructions it says (if I am reading it correctly) that after mixing the culture should be kept at 90 degrees for the 1st 24 hours. How do I go about maintaining it at this temperature? Safe to say my house is not kept at 90 degrees.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Newb starter question - keeping starter warm
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
Lot's of ways:

1) Oven with light on and door ajar enough to maintain desired temp
2) Styrofoam cooler with low-wattage light on dimmer

Want more?

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »
Lot's of ways:

1) Oven with light on and door ajar enough to maintain desired temp
2) Styrofoam cooler with low-wattage light on dimmer

Want more?

The oven with the light on sounds the easiest, but sure, I'll listen to a few more if you have 'em. Thanks.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »
I just received and activated a starter from them as well. I found that a compact fluorescent light bulb (15watts) in a big pot (turkey fryer) with the lid on worked great. The lid already had a hole for a fryer thermometer so I just dropped an instant read thermometer in there. Stayed at a nice even 90F. If it is too cool throw a coat over it.

Mike
Michael

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »
I just received and activated a starter from them as well. I found that a compact fluorescent light bulb (15watts) in a big pot (turkey fryer) with the lid on worked great. The lid already had a hole for a fryer thermometer so I just dropped an instant read thermometer in there. Stayed at a nice even 90F. If it is too cool throw a coat over it.

Mike

Thanks. If i have to, maybe I can gin something up with a large seafood steamer pot I have.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
I just started the activation in the oven. Fingers crossed. :)

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »
I have my starter going OK. It gains a few inches in volume after feeding as described in the instructions from sourdo.com. So I guess I can refrigerate it now? Do I need to feed it just before refrigerating it? Do I need to feed it periodically, or can it sit in the refrigerator indefinitely without feeding?

Offline MikeSwifty

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
Your starter is happiest & healthiest at controlled room temp (ie. 68-77 F) being fed on a regular schedule.  If you don't want to waste the flour and water (by just feeding, discarding all but "x", re-feeding, etc.), you can find something to do with the starter (like make pancakes, waffles, scones...) for a couple of weeks before putting it in the fridge.  The goal is not to see how quickly you can get your starter in the fridge, but to make sure it is lively, healthy, and active.

Once it's in that condition, feed it one more time & put it in the fridge right away.  I like to take my starter out & feed it once a week whether or not I plan to use it.  Starters can certainly tolerate longer in the fridge without it, but the more often they are used and fed, the happier they'll be!

Just my two cents...

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
Thank you Mike. So it sounds like I still need to feed it every so often even if it is in the refrigerator, but better still to keep it out and feed it regularly. I am not sure I realized I was basically buying a pet. Do I need a sitter when I go on vacation?  ;D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Thank you Mike. So it sounds like I still need to feed it every so often even if it is in the refrigerator, but better still to keep it out and feed it regularly. I am not sure I realized I was basically buying a pet. Do I need a sitter when I go on vacation?  ;D

My starters are listed as dependents on my tax return.  :)

Starters (healthy ones) in the refrigerator can go for many months without feeding. Most of mine take a few feedings to get back to full strength and character. One of mine (Russian) roars back with just one feeding.

I always give my starters a final feeding and partial activation before putting them to sleep in the refrigerator to ensure a good healthy population.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:32:36 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
Remember, every starter, depending upon the microflora present in the starter has a specific temperature that it wants to be started at for correct initial bacteria propagation. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the best results.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan