Author Topic: Summer Sausage  (Read 1640 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Summer Sausage
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
Has anyone had any luck topping a pie with summer sausage? I procured some from my local World Market and thought it might be good on a pie but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced any luck with it.

I also procured some of the best honey in America as far as I'm concerned, I've never had anything better from anywhere. Maybe I'm biased though since it a local honey. ;D I've got to find a recipe for a pie that I can incorporate this into sometime soon. Have a good one guys, happy baking. -Cory
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Summer Sausage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »
It's not a flavor or texture I particularly care for, but if you like it, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be good on a pizza. I wouldn't slice it too thick, and be sure to get the rind off if it has one. Maybe with onions and jalapenos?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »
I haven't had summer sausage in so long that I can't really remember what it is like, but I know I liked it when I tried some fresh deer summer sausage. The reason I asked was because I didn't want to open it unless it seems like it may work for a pie, otherwise I was going to leave it sealed to serve to friends next time I have a get-together. The idea of onions and jalapenos sounds awesome though, I may sacrifice the storability of the whole log just to give that combo a try. Thanks for the idea Craig.

P.S. - Here a picture of the sausage incase anyone has tried it, and also a picture of the world's best honey. (Maybe I'm biased though. :P )
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:15:40 PM by rcbaughn »

parallei

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »
I'm sure summer sausage would be fine.  However, looking at your 2nd photo, have you considered Nutella and pistachios? ;D

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:31:33 AM »
Wow I have never would've thought of that combo, I bet it would work well on the Mellow Mushroom dough I'm using since it has so much molasses in it. I also have some leftover Peeps from Easter........ Melted marshmallow chicks too?! Maybe! Ha, thanks for the pie topping idea, I have tried one dessert pie and it turned out horrible. But maybe your idea will turn out awesome, but then again how can Nutella and pistachios not be amazing. Would you cook the Nutella and pistachios with the crust? My last pie turned to black molten sugar when I slightly buttered and dusted it with sugar prior to baking. -Cory
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:45:32 AM by rcbaughn »