Author Topic: want to make a pizza like "JETS" Help!  (Read 3862 times)

Offline shirl

want to make a pizza like "JETS" Help!
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »
 pretty much have the dough recipe that i like , using; Tipo 00 flour and seminola flour, but my problem is with the results of my crust. i want that chewy, crunchy, butterey, burnt cheese edge, and i can't figure it out. I'm sure the pan is my problem. I just bought a 9.5" cast iron skillet, but have no clue how to season pan , or what to do next...  HELP PLEASE !!! 

Offline TXCraig1

Re: want to make a pizza like "JETS" Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »
Shirl,

You might want to look at Peterís post about Blue Steel Pans at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13687.msg137295.html#msg137295  Blue steel pans work well for making a pizza like Jetís.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline shirl

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
Thanks norma, I really like this forum , so much to learn , wish I was 20 yrs younger. LOL

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
Thanks norma, I really like this forum , so much to learn , wish I was 20 yrs younger. LOL

Shirl,

There is a lot to learn on the forum, but all the members are friendly and willing to help.  Just pick a formulation, and get basic equipment you need, and you should be producing about the kind of pizza you want in a short while.  I still am learning everyday and have been on the forum for 3 years.

No need to wish you were younger either.  I am an old lady.

Norma

Offline shirl

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
Norma,

Have you got a good formula for a jets square pizza ?   Maybe it's my dough  that I need to change up...

Shirl

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
Norma,

Have you got a good formula for a jets square pizza ?   Maybe it's my dough  that I need to change up...

Shirl

Shirl,

I think I made a decent attempt at a Jetís pizza with the formulation I posted at 94 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg151463.html#msg151463

You can see what Peter posted at Reply 99 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg151483.html#msg151483 about what I could change.

I then tried Better for Bread flour at Reply 108 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg157920.html#msg157920 with the same formulation. 

I never really tasted a real Jetís pizza, so I donít know how close I was to making a Jetís pizza.

Norma

Offline shirl

Re: want to make a pizza like "JETS" Help!m
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for the formulation, mine uses oil , so i'm excited to try yours and see the difference. I am reading so much about the use of corn oil in coating the pan. Does that particular oil crisp up the crust better then olive oil would ?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:34:58 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for the formulation, mine uses oil , so i'm excited to try yours and see the difference. I am reading so much about the use of corn oil in coating the pan. Does that particular oil crisp up the crust better then olive oil would ?

Shril,

I find corn oil does do well in helping the crust crisp up better, but I still havenít gotten my bottom crust to crisp as much as I would like.

I hope you report back on the Jetís thread how your bake went, with pictures if possible, if you decide to try that formulation.  That formulation isnít a clone Jetí formulation though.  It was just something I was playing around with.

Norma

Offline shirl

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
Shril,

I find corn oil does do well in helping the crust crisp up better, but I still havenít gotten my bottom crust to crisp as much as I would like.

I hope you report back on the Jetís thread how your bake went, with pictures if possible, if you decide to try that formulation.  That formulation isnít a clone Jetí formulation though.  It was just something I was playing around with.

Norma

Thanks Norma,  and I will post w/ pictures my results on the jet thread !

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
shirl

I like Chicago Metallics pans for my pan style pies. The ones that have a dark grey color and are non stick are excellent pans for this style. The one I use most is a 12"x17" rectangle, but I also love their deep dish round pans. I like to oil them lightly with olive oil, but corn or peanut should also be fine. The pan makes a big difference in how crispy the final dough will be. BedBath&Beyond usually carries a good stock of Chicago Metallics products and there's always a discount coupon available for that place.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:37:05 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline shirl

ver Re: want to make a pizza like "JETS" Help!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »
thanks for the info. I was going to attempt this pie in a cast iron skillet, but I think I'm going to head out to BB&B and see what i can pick up there. I have purchased a round Chicago Metallics pizza pan w/ holes in it from Marshalls / Home Good store , never really looked for the deep dish at that store, but i will now.   ;)

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
Hey Shirl
I have used a cast iron skillet for Detroit style plenty of times and it worked fine, so it you don't want to wait for new pans you should be good to go.  Just be sure the skillet is well seasoned so the cheese crust doesn't stick. 
I have not had the best results with my non stick pan attempts, but mine are not Chigaco Metallic so maybe they will work better.
On a side note, I once tried Stanislaus Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce and while I was not testing for this and did no side by side, I recall thinking it reminded me of Jet's sauce at the time. 
Good Luck!
Hog

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »

Offline shirl

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
Craig,
you say make sure my pan is well seasoned, I put olive oil in the pan and into a 400* oven for about an hour , is that good or do i need to b doing something else. Also I love garlic, can you put smashed garlic in the pan as well to give it that garlic taste ?

Shirl
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:30:49 AM by shirl »

Offline shirl

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
Craig,

I wish!  :-D

Norma

35 YEARS OLD !!! I remember that year,,, if only i knew then what i know now... :-D   :-D  :-D WOW,,, I hear ya Norma, I wish too.  Oh well, maybe we will get a second chance. LOL
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:33:05 AM by shirl »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
Craig,
you say make sure my pan is well seasoned, I put olive oil in the pan and into a 400* oven for about an hour , is that good or do i need to b doing something else. Also I love garlic, can you put smashed garlic in the pan as well to give it that garlic taste ?

Shirl

Shirl,

I am not Craig, but when I seasoned my blue steel pans they needed to be seasoned a few times before the crust didnít want to stick.  I think any kind of oil can be used to season the pans, but if you use olive oil you might want to use one that can withstand higher temperatures.  Maybe other members might chime in on what kind of oil to use to season your pans.  I never tried to use fresh garlic in dough or on a pan, but my friend Steve did use garlic powder in his doughs different times.  You need to be careful with garlic though.

35 YEARS OLD !!! I remember that year,,, if only i knew then what i know now... :-D   :-D  :-D WOW,,, I hear ya Norma, I wish too.  Oh well, maybe we will get a second chance. LOL

I agree, if I only knew then what I know now, things would be different.  :)  There is always a second chance.  I didnít get into opening my small pizza stand at market until I was 62.   :-D

Norma

Offline shirl

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »
Shirl,

I am not Craig, but when I seasoned my blue steel pans they needed to be seasoned a few times before the crust didnít want to stick.  I think any kind of oil can be used to season the pans, but if you use olive oil you might want to use one that can withstand higher temperatures.  Maybe other members might chime in on what kind of oil to use to season your pans.  I never tried to use fresh garlic in dough or on a pan, but my friend Steve did use garlic powder in his doughs different times.  You need to be careful with garlic though.

I agree, if I only knew then what I know now, things would be different.  :)  There is always a second chance.  I didnít get into opening my small pizza stand at market until I was 62.   :-D

Norma

OOPS !!!   sorry Norma,  I think  my brain is turning to dough !!!  ;D
You use the word market , as i also see others that do , exactlt what are you referring to when you use it ?

pizzapan