Author Topic: My first sourdough Nearlypolitan in my homemade WFO  (Read 21473 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My first sourdough Nearlypolitan in my homemade WFO
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »
Very helpful for those considering this type of oven.  Thank you!

scott123

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
Michael, I'm very glad that you're happy with the final result.  I was a little worried that I might have pushed you into a bit more complexity than you were hoping for.

I believe that we still have a ways to go in terms of building the best mortarless oven there can be, but I think this is the best mortarless oven this forum has ever seen- by a factor of 10 :)

I'm curious, is there any chance that the inside of your oven is getting wet?  If it is, that would explain your abnormally sluggish pre-heats.

Also, would you have a final total for dome, wall and floor thicknesses?

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »
Thanks Scott, I may not have clearly expressed myself. I meant to say that the insulation and combustion performance of the final oven exceeded my expectations. I thought it would take an 8 hour preheat and I ended up getting it too hot to bake in for hours after removing most of the coals. The walls and floor stayed in the 900's for about an hour with very little fire left burning and the ceiling was too hot to measure (i.e. >1000). I couldn't be happier with the oven and process to get there.

Definitely not moisture in the oven, bone dry appearing and no condensation or steam on start up. I keep it covered when not in use.

The limiting factor at this point is definitely my pizza making abilities, which I will work on. I think a much smaller preheat fire or cutting it to 4 hours would help. Although with the long preheat it was nice to see how stable the temp was. I want to experiment to determine the time needed for full saturation so I can enjoy the stability and manage the fire size to achieve the proper temp.

The final thickness of the ceiling is 3.75 in and the floor and walls are 2.5 inches.
Michael

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »
Hi Michael,

I just finished reading all 7 pages here and must say your pizza making skills appear to be, and have been, quite excellent. My first pies in my WFO were crap compared to what you were doing with that thing on the ground. Now that you have a proper oven, it's scary to think how good your pizza might become if you think it's your pizza skills that are lacking. From where I'm sitting, I'd pay good money for any of the pies I've seen pictures of so far in this thread. You and your oven were made for each other!

Wanted to ask, as I haven't seen it pictured, what and where is your work counter, where you stretch dough and top it?

Looking forward to seeing more pics from your next bake!!

scott123

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »
Michael, thanks for the clarification.  It sounds like you're on the right track.

A 3.75" ceiling may not exceed everyone's dome thickness, but that's still, in my opinion, pretty thick, meaning that it will take a while to saturate, but, at the same time, hold it's heat for a fairly long time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:33:36 AM by scott123 »

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
Thanks for your kind words Fidel. Sadly, I am still running from my indoor kitchen out the door then about 20 steps to the oven. I plan on making a prep station later this summer of similar style to the oven stand with an umbrella. However, the more I build the less I bake.

Scott, I completely agree. At times I wish the ceiling were thinner. I put a layer of half thickness brick over the first layer of brick, oriented the opposite direction,  to ensure no crumbs of insulation came through. If I were to do it again I would probably go with one layer of brick and cover the whole thing in some type of sheet metal then a layer of ceramic blanket. But we'll see, I really need to do a bunch of bakes to get everything dialed in, then see how I feel about all the design decisions.
Michael

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
Thanks for your kind words Fidel. Sadly, I am still running from my indoor kitchen out the door then about 20 steps to the oven. I plan on making a prep station later this summer of similar style to the oven stand with an umbrella. However, the more I build the less I bake.

Yeah, I would like to do the same thing, with something proper. At the moment, I'm using two Costco purchased "Lifetime" folding tables and a sawhorse fitted with a top, and then marble plates on top of that. I guess the best thing about doing it outside near the oven is all the mess on the floor doesn't need to be cleaned up...something my wife appreciates.  ;D