Author Topic: we need s sticky for stones!  (Read 862 times)

Offline bluezero2x

we need s sticky for stones!
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:22 AM »
could we possibly get a sticky for seasoning stones? it seems a load of people have no idea how much better and easier a stone works when seasoned. i could list a few reasons why, but id rather have a sticky. can this be done?

Offline scott123

Re: we need s sticky for stones!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:51:16 AM »
What we really need is a sticky informing members not to waste time seasoning their stones.

Proper launched pizzas (wooden peel, dusting flour, hot, pre-heated stone), do not ever stick.

Besides, most of the members of this forum are working at temps (500+) that will bake seasoning off. Putting oil/fat on a pizza stone is a recipe for a smoky house.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
One trick that we use to "season" the stones in a new oven is to apply a light coating of corn meal to the deck/stone surface and then allow this to "bake" until the corn meal begins to brown, then broom the corn meal out of the oven and you're set to go. This is even recommended by some of the commercial deck oven manufacturers. You do NOT want to apply oil to the stone like you would if seasoning a pan.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
My instructions for my new oven said do not use any oil on the stones while curing them for three days. I season my wok and my steel plates but I live next to the ocean and rust is a problem. I know of no reason to seal pizza stones or tiles.
Don

Offline bluezero2x

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
congratulations to you professional stone users, but clearly this doesnt apply to you. but you know these things and your information could be very helpful to people! these points the very things people should know.  people are having problems, cleaning and otherwise. while this may be common knowledge to some, id like to help the people who dont know. there are guys suggesting people to soak stones in dawn for an hour..

obviously if the temps exceed a threshold it will cause issues. that only brings us back around to the sticky, to make such points apparent. just a template to show the pros and cons of ways to use stones, why contest informing people?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:16:40 PM by bluezero2x »

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
Fair enough. Please list the reasons you think a oil/what have you seasoned tile or stone is better than one without. I'm not a pro but I have constructed numerous, perhaps seven ovens using Saltillo tiles as a hearth with gas burners and have never ever had a sticking problem and many times I've used hydration rates as high as 90%, a very wet dough. I can easily document my work and the results. The tiles are a simple red clay but over time and use become black though natural seasoning and use. Also I would like to point out a popular commercial pizza stone has a ceramic glaze, hence seasoning wouldn't have any effect. Anyway, the ball is in your court.
Don