Author Topic: Soppressata - How hot is hot?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Soppressata - How hot is hot?
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
I have tried two different brands of "hot" soppressata and neither of them taste all that hot to me. They seem only a little spicier than sweet soppressata. Is this the way it's supposed to be or did I just get a mild batch?

One of the brands was Citterio. I don't really know what the other brand was because I didn't notice when it was sliced for me at the deli, but I don't think that it was Citterio because the slices looked different.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online TXCraig1

Re: Soppressata - How hot is hot?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
Don, Ive tried many different soppressata, and I've never had one I would call "hot."

If it was spicy to the point of being hot, wouldn't that be counterproductive in a quality product - detracting and distracting from the flavor of the salami? I'd be worried that excessive heat would be to cover a lack of quality.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Soppressata - How hot is hot?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
I agree with you Craig, but I still think that the two kinds that I tried could be spicier and not cover up the overall flavor of the product. My wife is definitely not into spicy food and she even said that they weren't that spicy.

IMO, when it comes to spicy food, there is definitely a delicate balance that must me achieved. A good example is Ezzo pepperoni. It is fairly spicy with a little afterburn but the heat goes so well with the other flavors and does not cover them up but they are instead in perfect balance.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:04:35 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

pizzapan