Author Topic: Peel recommendations  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Malanga

Peel recommendations
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
I'm hoping to start making some larger pies (~17) in the near future.  Any recommendations on peels or maybe even some ideas of making my own/improvising?  Looking forward to hearing what you piemen/women think.

Offline franko9752

Re: Peel recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »
At least an 18" wood peel or larger.

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »
This is the peel I use (purchased locally for $18)

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_106935

The most important aspect is that the peel have a very long gradual taper and that it be thin.  You want a wood peel for launching and a metal peel for retrieving.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
That's the one I almost ordered before coming here to ask!  So for the metal one, I'm assuming I can get away it NOT being as wide the launching peel. (Those larger metal peels looking a bit pricey).

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
A metal peel is nice to have for pulling pizzas out of the oven. If you have a restaurant supply store near you can get both for probably $25-$30.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »
Right on!  Just found a local supply store.  I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and see what they have.  Thanks.

Online scott123

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:04:44 PM »
So for the metal one, I'm assuming I can get away it NOT being as wide the launching peel. (Those larger metal peels looking a bit pricey).

Yes, overhang doesn't work with a raw skin, but, straight from the oven, most pizzas have some rigidity.  I've never fully tested this, but I think you could easily remove 17" pizzas with a 12" peel. Just to be safe, though, I'd go with 14". 

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
That is good to hear, I just bought a 14"x16" American Metalcraft from my local restaurant supply store. I am excited about it coming in, too bad they had to special order it. I would've liked it for tonight's pie, using a flat cake sheet just doesn't feel as fun as a peel will be. I bought the 37" long version, I guess that is about right for a home oven yeah?
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
That is good to hear, I just bought a 14"x16" American Metalcraft from my local restaurant supply store. I am excited about it coming in, too bad they had to special order it. I would've liked it for tonight's pie, using a flat cake sheet just doesn't feel as fun as a peel will be. I bought the 37" long version, I guess that is about right for a home oven yeah?

How much was the peel from your supply store?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
Yes, overhang doesn't work with a raw skin, but, straight from the oven, most pizzas have some rigidity.  I've never fully tested this, but I think you could easily remove 17" pizzas with a 12" peel. Just to be safe, though, I'd go with 14".  

I move, lift, remove, etc. a 13" pie with a 7" peel.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 12:51:07 AM »
I got mine at a restaurant supply store here in Birmingham called Bresco and it was $14.75 I think, a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to be for sure. They're shipping it to the store so I only had to pay tax and no shipping costs, so the total was just a little above $15. I'm very excited about getting it, the only thing that I really need now is a good pizza cutter. Can't decide between the one that looks like a curved dough blade that you rock back and forth, or just the old roller kind.

Craig, are the peels that small because of spinning the pies in a WFO? Seems like a bigger peel would have trouble spinning a pie in that kind of setup.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

pizzapan