Author Topic: 2stone pizza grill questions  (Read 4812 times)

Offline slybarman

2stone pizza grill questions
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
Unless I am missing the threads, it seems discussion of the 2stone pizza grill died off over the last year or so. So, two questions for any owners or prior owners:

1) Still using it / still happy with it? Anything you wish was different?

2) Is the lower fibrement stone easily removed so that I can also use it in my indoor electric oven when I don't need higher temps of the grill (or maybe in mid winter)?

I am thinking hard about pulling the trigger on one of these.

Offline slybarman

Re: 2stone pizza grill questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »
So, has everybody kicked their 2stone to the curb?  :o

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
Hey, in quick response, I still use mine all the time and like it very much. I also have a true wood-fired oven, which is great when having company and  need to cook two pies at a time, but my 2Stone is so much easier to work with. It makes a terrific Neapolitan pie, and my results are actually a little more consistent with the 2Stone b/c the temperature is easier to regulate (at least for me, as I tend to lose a lot of heat in the cooking floor of my wood oven). One downside that I have found is that it takes some time to get a feel for finding the "sweet spot" of top vs. bottom heat in the 2Stone, but with practice, I am now more consistent. The other downside is that, often, around the rim (as it transitions to the part of the pie with the toppings), it can be very difficult to get coloration in that part of the crust, which must have something to do with the way the airflow moves over the pie or the limitation on the radiant heat from above (someone else could better articulate this I am sure).

I would buy one again, and think that you would enjoy it and have fun with it.

Jim

Offline slybarman

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »
Thank you for your reply. That sounds encouraging.

Does the stone come out of the unit easily or should I buy a separate stone for my oven?

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 02:40:14 PM »
Yes, I remove mine fairly often for use in the home oven. You would not want to take it out right after cooking in the 2stone, as the entire 2stone unit would be hot, but otherwise, you simply remove the top portion of the 2stone and lift out the fibrament cooking stone.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »
Sounds good. Thanks again.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
Hey Slybar,

I just happened to come across your inquiry, as I usually lurk in the Neopolitan section. 
I've had my 2Stone for nearly 2 years and really like it.  I was hellbent on making, buying, paying someone to make a WFO for me but after finding the 2Stone and reading how quickly it would get up to temp, it was a no brainer.  I've had excellent results with it and continue to use it a good bit.  In that year and a half, I've gone through nine 55lbs of flour and am on number ten :) 
Check out the 2Stone threads in the Neopolitan section. 

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline slybarman

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Good to hear you are happy with yours. I had done a site search for 2stone, but I must have missed some threads. I will check out the Neapolitan section for more.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »
Slybat, I sent you a private message
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline slybarman

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
Slybat, I sent you a private message

Thank you.

Offline art.vandelay

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
i just ordered one with a natural gas conversion and can't wait!  until then, I am just making them on my grill with modified set up using stone and terracotta.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:53:42 AM »
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes who have some of those exquisite WFO's I have been seeing (as a new member), but starting out with my 2Stone on my Weber Spirit E-310, I am getting 700-750 temps after 15-20 mins heatup, and some very nice smoke flavor using the BBQ Delight wood pellets (multiple flavors) inside of their cast iron smoker pot.  It is 3.25" diameter x 2.5" high and you put only 1/3 cup of one of their pellets inside when starting up.  Then it tucks nicely into either back corner of the 2Stone grill, without interfering with the rotation of the 15.5" Fibrament stone.

This is a kind of poor man's attempt at WFO results.  They have a sampler kit that includes the metal pot here.

I also wanted another inch insertion space, so used my angle grinder with a cutting wheel to cut 1/2" off of both sides, following the same downward/outward line.  Just makes it a little easier to get the 14" SuperPeel slipped inside.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 09:12:57 AM »
I still have my eye on the 2stone. I think I am likely to replace my current grill this spring and I am considering buying a Weber Genesis and the 2stone pizza grill to go with it.

How difficult is to launch a 14" pie onto the 15.5" stone through the provided opening?

Folks satisfied with the Fibrament stone? Any wishes for Cordeirite?

I think I will likely target NY style temps in the 650 range. This is a bit above what I can get with my home oven, plus it is a drag in the summer when the AC is fighting with the heat from the oven.

Originally I thought I would do Neapolitan pies, but I think I leaning more toward NY for now.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
I've cooked 6 in the 2stone--so I'm far from an expert.  First couple didn't release easily off the peel, but that was my fault not making sure it had enough flour and checking it beforehand.  Not hard to insert into the 14.5" opening, using a 14" peel.

Last three I did (following Willard's tip) by putting just the shaped dough on the 2stone for ONLY 1 minute.  Taking it out, you get some great bubbles, but then you can screw around with sauces and toppings without any issue of sticking to the peel when ready to do the real cooking.  I have also turned on the oven broiler, and after about 7 mins in the 2stone, I bring it inside and slide on the top rack under the broiler for just about 1 more minute which gives an excellent browning on top that seems to be harder to get in the 2stone without overcooking the bottom.

So far the Fibrament is great for me.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »
Hi All,
After being a long time home oven tweaker (first inspired by Jeff V on this forum what now seems ages ago), I have been using the pizza grill for 2 months now, baking a couple of times a week on a new weber genesis 310..I decided to drill out the gas Venturi on the center burner, which lets me now get to 800+ easily when i remove the center flavorizer bar..I am very happy with how it bakes. Very fast heat up. At the current temps I can even "dome" the pies, so no need to use the broiler at the end.

For me so far the sweet spot is in the 750-800range.... I use KAAP, the French starter from Ed Wood, & a 24hour work flow w/ 62- 64% hydration..
Very happy as well with the fibrament stone, & may order a corderite just to have both.

Clay

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
Slybarman, it is easy to remove the bottom stone.....
A 14" peel easily slides into the opening. I use a long handled wooden peel, American metalcraft #4212....

I used a double stone & firebrick pizza setup when I first bought the genesis, but am happier with the 2 stone. Easier to remove in one piece when you need the grill for other stuff.

Clay

Offline slybarman

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
Thank you Clay.

Offline SnuffGear

• SnuffGear.com
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »
Wonder if 2stone is going to be offering any discounts again? Looking to get one myself. 20% off and I'd buy one today!

Offline SnuffGear

• SnuffGear.com
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
Are you guys running your 310's/2 stones with your flavor bars on or off?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:08:15 AM by SnuffGear »

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
I ran this bake with all the flavor bars removed.
it was just over 2  1/2 min....