Author Topic: kosher vs table salt  (Read 1377 times)

Offline khenningsen

kosher vs table salt
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »
I'm gearing up for my second attempt. I use table salt in my thin crust but have noticed that quite a few recipes here call for kosher. What's the reasoning?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: kosher vs table salt
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
I'm gearing up for my second attempt. I use table salt in my thin crust but have noticed that quite a few recipes here call for kosher. What's the reasoning?

khenningsen,

I would guess that those who use Kosher salt do so because it is what they have on hand or they just prefer it. On occasion, I will see a professional's dough recipe calling for Kosher salt but most professionals use ordinary table salt,  mainly because it is cheap and also because it is likely to dissolve more readily and be distributed more uniformly throughout the dough than Kosher salt because of its smaller particle size. However, Kosher salt might be used on items like breadsticks or other food items where the salt is topically applied. Sea salt is also a good choice for pizza dough because it contains minerals and other natural nutrients that are better for the yeast, and also because some deem sea salt to have a cleaner taste. But sea salt tends to be more expensive than the other forms of salt. That is not normally a problem in a small home volume situation.

Peter

pizzapan