Author Topic: Beginner's NYC style recipe???  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Beginner's NYC style recipe???
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
Peter,

Two lines of vital wheat gluten this morning?  :'(   You are hard core mister.... 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
Peter,

Two lines of vital wheat gluten this morning?  :'(   You are hard core mister.... 8)

Bob,

LOL. I wondered who would be the first to catch and comment on it.

Peter

Offline slybarman

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
rcbaughn

I agree with Scott123, KASL is better suited to bagel making then to NY pizza.  If you really want to use KASL, buy KASL. The only thing I would use vial wheat gluten in is rye bread.

If I use KA bread flour, are the quantities going to be the same as KASL or do I have to use that crazy math from a few posts back?

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »
Haha Peter I caught the "two line" comment right off the bat. I guess that is the college guy in my coming out.... LOL. I don't mind the smell of vital wheat gluten but have never tasted it alone. I'll give it a go when I go to the kitchen next time.

And Scott, thank you for the heads up, I will call around and try to find some bromated flour at a local pizzeria or distributor. I have heard of All Trumps before but not the ones you mention, Spring King etc. I may try to do a New York Style pie with my KABF and no VWG at all and see if I can tell the difference. I have been adding it to my MM clones as I said and you may be on to something that I've noticed in that it can be a bit gummy and doesn't reheat very well, although it is pretty good straight out of the oven. Oven Spring is also something that I am not getting as Norma and them have in their MM clones, so when I make a New York style next hopefully I can have the right flour.

And Norma, those gluten mass tests are very interesting. I couldn't find Hodgson Mills VWG when I was buying mine, which is what I wanted, but ended up going with the Arrowhead Mills. I guess it is close enough though since I can use that calculator Peter linked in one of my threads to get the protein level up to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the information on VWG. I have gained an immense amount of knowledge when it comes to all things pizza over the past few weeks, which carries over into almost every other form of cooking whether it be baking or whatever. Maybe I will become a better baker as time goes on. -Cory
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Bob,

LOL. I wondered who would be the first to catch and comment on it.

Peter

Peter,

I also caught that one.  :-D  That is why I said I took two sniffs.   :angel:  I didn't want to do two whole lines. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »
I have used Better for Bread, KASL, All Trumps, Pillsbury Balancer and other flours in NY style doughs.  I can’t say at this moment if any of them are my favorites.  I tried most of them out on the preferment Lehmann dough thread and for other NY style doughs. 

Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
Norma, I can get Gold Medal Better for Bread flour at my local Piggly Wiggly grocery store, but that is the only one out of the list I can source without special ordering pretty much. I wonder if it would be better for a NY style pie than KABF. It most certainly is a lot cheaper, and I am going through quite a good bit of flour these days. And I am a one liner and not a two liner kind of person as well. :-D
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »
Norma, I can get Gold Medal Better for Bread flour at my local Piggly Wiggly grocery store, but that is the only one out of the list I can source without special ordering pretty much. I wonder if it would be better for a NY style pie than KABF. It most certainly is a lot cheaper, and I am going through quite a good bit of flour these days. And I am a one liner and not a two liner kind of person as well. :-D

Cory,

If you have the time, read this thread, if you haven‘t already.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11994.0.html  There is a lot of good information in that thread in my opinion.  Brian Spangler (sfspanky) is the owner of Apizza Scholls and a experienced bread baker.  He has a lot of knowledge.  Brian uses Harvest King which is the same flour as Better for Bread flour. 

If you are interested you can see what I posted to Brian at Reply 34 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11994.msg123592.html#msg123592 about changing my flour from KASL to Harvest King/Better for Bread and what Brian answered in the next post.

Good you are only a one liner.  :)

Norma