Author Topic: Dough sheeter?  (Read 19789 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Dough sheeter?
« on: April 11, 2003, 03:38:12 PM »
Anyone know of a pizza dough sheeter (roller) that is inexpensive and designed for home use?

I have been thinking about converting a clothes wringer to function as a dough sheeter. Have a look at the following:

http://www.wisementrading.com/washing/wringer.htm

Seems this would work nicely... the only problem I see it that it's only 12" wide.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Mark Strozewski

Re:Dough sheeter?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 07:07:37 PM »
Hi there...don't know when you originally wrote this.  I was trying to find a sheeter for home use as well and happened to cross this inquiry.  Did you have any luck?  We used to own a pizza place, but I don't want to pay commercial sized prices for our home use.  Sure would appreciate any direction you could give...thanks for your time!!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 07:57:32 AM »
I never did buy the clothes wringer... I have been looking for an old antique clothes wringer instead with no luck. I have also looked at a few sheet-metal rollers (see http://www.mutr.co.uk/Manu/Manu_rollers.htm) which are pretty inexpensive. It wouldn't take much to make it work, but I just haven't had the time to purchase and/or experiment.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re:Dough sheeter? - It kinda exists.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 09:52:39 AM »
Hi Steve,

you know the sad thing .... those sheeters exist for about $20 here,
but the sad thing is, they will only make a 4" pizza  >:(

What could possibly do that you are asking eh ?

Well, my mother-in-outlaw has a "sheeter" that we have used to make homemade
pasta... the last time I used it was about 10 years ago, but remember using it, and it make beautiful pasta.... it nicely built too .....

It was totally adjustable also, so you start with a thicker dough, run it through, then turn the dial to make the sheeter rollers closer together and then run the dough thru again....
and then again, and again, until you have it at the thickness, or "thin-ness" that you desire.... the thing worked very well.

Darn, - why don't companies make one that is about 18" in diameter.... boy that would be so amazing !  ;D

here's something like the one I used :
http://www.sharpknives.com/gourmets_toolbox_pages/al_dente_pasta_machine.htm

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

HZ

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 06:08:17 PM »
Iíve been looking for a dough sheeter /roller for home use for over 2 years now without any success. I even e-mailed many manufactures and begged them to make one, but with no use. I tried the pasta machine, but the gears were too weak to handle pizza dough, and they kept coming of off the tracks. I also thought of using the hand wringer, but Iíve been unable to locate one. I will try the link you listed and let you how it works. Until then weíll just have to dream about such an appliance.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 06:36:13 PM »
The cheapest and LARGEST thing you can buy is an old washing machine, - that had 2 wheels to dry clothes.

The thing is, - I don't think i would work thinking about it, because
the rollers are not adjustable, and are very close to one another.

However, - if you found a model that had *ADJUSTABLE* rollers, then you are in luck !

Have you seen how large those are ? ... my mom has one in the furnace room, it's been there since 1963 ( when our house was built ) and it's still there..... rollers must be over a foot wide....... I'd say 18" wide......... super for pizza.........

* but know my mom's model is NOT adjustable * :-(

You can see some ajustable models here that are for sale:
http://www.survivalunlimited.com/clothewringer.htm

Mark.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

hz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 06:48:13 PM »
I just found this adjustable model (one handle adjust both roller at the same time). It's 11" wide, which is perfect for pizza. It cost $166.00 though. I don't know if I want to spend that much only to find out it does not work. Any thoughs on that?
http://www.northdoorway.com/laundry/handwringer.htm

Offline YoMomma

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 01:02:42 PM »
what about those roller things that self-serv car washes use to wring out the chamois? - would something like that work?

Offline nysauce

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 04:59:14 PM »
Hi,
   How and why would you use a dough sheeter to make pizza. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've only watched guys make pizza with their hands and am finding out all these different techniques and styles since coming to this site.
Thanks!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 07:43:39 PM »
After about three passes through the sheeter, the dough is ready to place on the pan, paddle or screen. It makes prep easy, but is expensive to buy. I find that by me being the "Sheeter" I work off the calories that come with eating the pizza. LOL. It's more for commercial use. But I'd love to have one...if anyone wants to send me one, let me know. I'll send you my mailing address.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 07:51:48 PM »
A sheeter is used mainly for thin (cracker) crust and Chicago pizza.

Generally speaking, you run the dough through the sheeter, fold it in half, then in half again, then re-sheet. Do this several times and the finished crust will have a layered appearance.

NY style pizza is almost always hand stretched (or hand tossed).

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 07:52:58 PM »
Oh yeah, for thin crust, the sheeter quickly rolls the dough out to a uniform thickness (thin-ness!)  :)

Offline cocoabean

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough sheeter?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 06:40:46 PM »
Have you seen this machine from electrolux?† I saw it when I was hunting for pictures of sheeters when I was thinking about building one.† I've used an ACME sheeter, before and figured it would have to be powered, but then I sumbled across this.† The USA distributor did not have it in their product listing, so I'm guessing it is not offered here.† I'd love to know what it would cost.† It's able to make about a 20 sheet between about 1 1/3 inches to 1/50th (?) inches.† Very interested.

http://www.dito-electrolux.com/P_int/aia010.pdf

Offline beckysuea

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 03:40:43 AM »
what about trying one of these - a tortilla press/flatbread maker.   I have a small one and I used to make really thin flour tortillas with it.

http://www.dealtime.com/xGS-electric%20tortilla%20press~NS-1~linkin_id-7000755

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 06:36:07 PM »
Have you seen this machine from electrolux?† I saw it when I was hunting for pictures of sheeters when I was thinking about building one.† I've used an ACME sheeter, before and figured it would have to be powered, but then I sumbled across this.† The USA distributor did not have it in their product listing, so I'm guessing it is not offered here.† I'd love to know what it would cost.† It's able to make about a 20 sheet between about 1 1/3 inches to 1/50th (?) inches.† Very interested.

http://www.dito-electrolux.com/P_int/aia010.pdf

I got this reply back from Electrolux regarding that sheeter. It's expensive!

Please contact Tonya McCloskey for details on ordering the unit.
(954)-327-6721
MSRP will be $3400.00 usd.
PNC 601539 Manual Dough Sheeter

Kind Regards,
Angelo Grillas
Product Manager Electrolux-Dito North America Work Phone: 954-327-6777

Steve

Offline cocoabean

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 04:43:24 PM »
Amazing...† That's got to be one heck of a margin on it.† Seems like the sheeter business needs a low end home player, if that's hand cranked and can demand 3.5k.† :)

Thanks a lot for looking into that, though.  3400.... wow.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 01:34:24 PM »
I use my Atlas pasta roller about twice a week every week. i am making thin crackery crust. I do a series of passes and a couple of business letter folds. Then- I hand stretch to a about eight inch width. Starting with four ounces of dough plus bench flour I get a great personal pizza. Another method is to use a rolling pin and a cookie pan with the same roll and fold technique.

Good luck

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 08:17:43 AM »
Find yourselves a used "acme" on e-bay,,, Or google. ;) :chef:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.