Author Topic: Have the blackstone issues been sorted out ?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
Have the blackstone issues been sorted out ?
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Looking to move on from my LBE to a blackstone for convenience, but in reading the hundreds of pages of posts here there seemed to be a number of "tweaks" folks had to make to get the oven to work as well as it could. Spacers and shims and bushings etc.etc.etc.

Can anyone tell me if the newer models of the blackstone has addressed these issues? Don't feel like spending $400 to have to tweak the oven. I might as well keep using my LBE if that's the case.

Any input appreciated.

Offline Gags

Re: Have the blackstone issues been sorted out ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »
I think most here would encourage you to pull the trigger and get one - you won't look back once you get started.

And the mods cost me a total of about $6:
- Bag of stainless steel washers, $2
- Two cheap metal spatulas to modify into heat deflectors, $2 each

And just like in motorsports, if your's is modified, it means it's cooler than stock!!   ;D

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »
I have only done the washer mod, my last pies are here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg314545#msg314545

Online jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
I haven't done any mods.

My pie is right below deb's pie in her link. Nice pie Deb.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:43:34 PM by jsperk »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »
Nice pie Deb.

^^^

I missed those pictures deb. Beautiful!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »
^^^

I missed those pictures deb. Beautiful!

thank you Craig

Offline Gags

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »
Is Jason gonna get the Blackstone or what!??   ;D
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
Looking to move on from my LBE to a blackstone for convenience, but in reading the hundreds of pages of posts here there seemed to be a number of "tweaks" folks had to make to get the oven to work as well as it could. Spacers and shims and bushings etc.etc.etc.

Can anyone tell me if the newer models of the blackstone has addressed these issues? Don't feel like spending $400 to have to tweak the oven. I might as well keep using my LBE if that's the case.

Any input appreciated.
The short answer is that issues remain.  There have been improvements in design and packaging so startup issues are decreasing, and hopefully that trend will continue.  But if you have an LBE, you must have done some fiddling to build it and make it work properly.  I read every page of the LBE thread and have followed it for years.  Love the innovation and evolution in LBE.  By contrast, the Blackstone is a great pizza oven right off-the-shelf.  The pizza pictures tell all.
Dave

Offline SF City Gal

• Supporting Member
  • There's little better than a great pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »
Don't mean to transgress here as a new forum member, but Jason, my BS arrived in pristine condition.  The only modification I did was to add a $12 "thrust collar" to give the baking tray some bearings on which to sit and revolve on. I was impressed with the quality of virtually every part that came.  I think I may end up needing to replace the rotisserie motor with one more powerful down the road, but that remains to be seen.  The pizzas are terrific.  I'm thrilled.

I wrote a long post late last night in the thread I started in Home Ovens-My First Blackstone Pizzas-OMG!  It may be of interest to you.

Deb, those are beautiful creations.  Love the chives on the white one!  Tonight I will be making my first with Reinhart's "Neo-Neapolitan Dough".  Just exploring...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Jason.

Dave, the pictures tell a great deal.  What tells all is eating them!

Cheers,
Kris

Offline SF City Gal

• Supporting Member
PS Groupon offer Re: Have the blackstone issues been sorted out ?
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
BTW, there is another Groupon offer now, not including the cover but including the metal peel.  Return policy is unclear.  On the left side in green it says Free Returns, Some Restrictions Apply, while on the other side in the fine print it says Final Sale, no returns unless defective.  Might want to check.  Shipping is free.

Anyway, here's the link:
Blackstone Patio Oven with Pizza Peel $359.99
http://gr.pn/1sE1xJv

There is also an offer for their 28" BS griddle with base, at $179.99
http://gr.pn/1lbwXRs

Hope this helps some.

Kris

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
Sorry guys and gals, i don't get notifications from the forum for replies for some reason. Anyhow...i'm still undecided.
If i didnt have an LBE that works essentially perfectly i wouldn't hesitate to get a blackstone. But i do, and spending $400 to get something i need to tinker with is a little annoying. I'd essentially be getting it for convenience of not having to carry my LBE to and from the garage, and having it at a usable height.  Seems like a lot of money to spend just for that.

So, i guess the answer is...don't know yet:)

Offline mustanggt408

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
Well...I've had mine for about two weeks now and did my first bake on it last weekend, had to wait for the stones to come in from black stone as I had purchased mine used for $125 minus the stones. This was my first neapolitan pie in my life, first time firing up the black stone other than to watch the huge flame. I'm loving the thing.
I'm a New York pizza fan myself so I had never worked with Cuputo 00, I'm really enjoying this oven though. If you've got something that works and you're familiar with then by all means stick with it. When I was doing New York pies on steel I was letting my oven heat up for a good hour before the actual bake. This thing had the top stone pegging my IR thermometer at over 1140 on the top stone and 890 ish on the bottom stone within about 5 minutes. Entirely too hot, but it's so easy to use on the spur of a moment if you have dough laying around :)

Offline SF City Gal

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 03:24:44 AM »
Wow, yes, that is pretty darn hot!  It does take some experimenting to get it right and I'm still in my infancy too.
This batch of dough is the neo-Neapolitan dough in Reinhart's American Pie.  It is made with bread flour and has a very nice chew.  First batch was with the Caputo double 00 flour.
This sausage, mushroom and fresh mozzarella pizza baked at about 725' for about 3 minutes.
The oven works beautifully. Does just what I had hoped it would.  I'm thrilled!
Best of luck with your experimentation!
Kris

pizzapan