Author Topic: The Kettle Pizza Grill is The Answer To All Our Prayers (THIS IS NOT SPAM)  (Read 15809 times)

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
Thanks guys, synaesthesia  is the effect of understanding an emotion through colours or secondary sensory non touch triggers. The emotion triggered through touch would be kinaesthesia.

I made pizza today as my son had a friend visiting. I used a half basket of coal under the stone, and got a slight leoparding at the bottom so my wife and son won't complain much. ( my son takes after my wife and complain about having to eat 'burnt' food - story of my life, our toast in the morning has to be toasted twice for me and is barely brown for wife and son). 600g of caputo to VPN spec and we made 5 pies. All gone now. Have to say I now use a slightly thicker, thicker by 4 - 6 mm stone than the previous one which was 1.2 " or 12mm. The bases would burn with a heat source under that one.

I'll look into the MPO.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
Mighty Pizza Oven (MPO) is a pizza oven insert for outdoor gas grills that I designed. I am working on creating an adaptor for MPO using different heat sources.

Last weekend I baked 60 second pie using two portable 10,000 btu burners. Previously, I successfully baied with mpo usng 12 chafing fuel cans.

Based on my heat test yesterday, I should successfully bake NY pies using coal only.

Other heat sources I want to use with MPO, wood, wood pellets and last electric heating element.
Bert,

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Kettle Pizza Grill is The Answer To All Our Prayers (THIS IS NOT SPAM)
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
Here is my pic. I use the newer version that is lower and I have a piece of 304 stainless steel sitting on top of the kettle pizza/ They also sell the baking steel now that can sit on top.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »
I'd be all over that pie.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »
I'd be all over that pie.
Craig,

What, with no SPAM on it? :-D

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
That would be good too, but you know I'm a sucker for pepperoni and jalapeno.

Offline loc4me

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
@synaesthesia or @jsperk

Any picks of your KettlePizza setup? I'm looking into buying one and modifying the ceiling with some steel.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »
@synaesthesia or @jsperk

Any picks of your KettlePizza setup? I'm looking into buying one and modifying the ceiling with some steel.

Did you see this: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/09/the-pizza-lab-we-test-kettle-pizza-and-baking-steels-new-joint-pizza-oven.html?ref=search

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 08:06:59 PM »
@synaesthesia or @jsperk

I don't have any good pics of the setup. All I did was got a piece of 304 stainless steel cut to size and put on top of the kettle pizza ring.

Offline italdream

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
@synaesthesia or @jsperk

I have one. I used it three times and decided that it is junk... I used it with wood, charcoal and on propane in combo with my LBE.

The main problem is that the heat source is from the bottom (like an LBE) and the oven has little thermal mass. The BS solves this problem with the rotating plate, and the flame on the side (plus has stone on top and better overall shape). I hated the heat balance in my LBE and the kettle was no different.

Buy a BS oven
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:18:06 AM by italdream »

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTKCTQd8CI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTKCTQd8CI</a>

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
those pics look pretty great!

I had a wicked old school oven at our last apartment, i don't know the temperature of my stone but with the broiler, my pizzas were done in about 90 seconds.

Since I moved, we have a newer oven that the stone doesn't reach above 600F. My girlfriend and parents got me a weber performer like you have for my birthday in August. I have been limited on funds since I've bought accessories for it. I have had my eye on one of these kettlepizza makers and was wondering if it's worth spending the money on. I would love to try to make some neapolitan pies on it.

synaesthesia, what temp does your stone usually reach? Sorry if I missed it. You only use the steel on the top shelf? No aluminum?

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
$400 WITHOUT the Weber, I dunno', IMHO, this seems like a better route to go to me…

http://griddleguru.com/backyard-cooking/blackstone-patio-pizza-oven.html

Free shipping too.

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline scott123

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
$400 WITHOUT the Weber, I dunno', IMHO, this seems like a better route to go to me…

Actually, it's $420 plus shipping, which, when I calculated it, was about another $20.  I've heard stories about people getting $50 webers, but when I've looked on Craigslist, I haven't found any. I think $80 is a pretty fair price for a used weber.

For someone without a weber, this definitely isn't worth $150 more than a blackstone. If you've got the weber already, this isn't worth $70 more. Even if they were the same price, I'd still give the win to the BS for it's more consistent, fast bakes and greater ease of use. Not to mention, the stone diameter is 14.5" on this and 16" on the BS.

Offline italdream

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »
In the pre-BS era, people would do anything to get a decent Neapolitan-looking like pizza with sub 2-minutes bakes.

Anything included using overpriced bended pieces of metal backed by esoteric and unsupported claims of good heat balance and benefits over LBE.
Anyone who is considering buying this piece of *scrap* in the BS era is either uninformed, ill-advised or plain gullible.

Mine is still in lying somewhere behind my backyard shed. What a waste of money!

The only benefits over an LBE is that one does not have to lift the lid. However lack of thermal mass combined with bottom heat and no rotating stone, yields no better results than a LBE. And BS is way >>> than LBE.

Offline italdream

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
And BS is way >>> than LBE.

I am going to add that synaesthesia seems to have mastered the skills required to use a kettle pizza way better than I ever did (high flame on one side, nice system to quickly turn etc.). But it does not change my opinion on the kettle grill. I can't think of what synaesthesia would do we a BS!

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »
Gosh dangit I think I may have to go with a BS..

I was all gung ho about trying the kettle pizza but, now idk. I even got a brand new weber performer for my birthday which has been amazing for steaks chicken etc etc, but right I am at a point in my young life where I am not sure where I will be moving in a few years, or next year, and trying to limit my toys and such

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
I am going to add that synaesthesia seems to have mastered the skills required to use a kettle pizza way better than I ever did (high flame on one side, nice system to quickly turn etc.). But it does not change my opinion on the kettle grill. I can't think of what synaesthesia would do we a BS!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg270432.html#msg270432

your pies look so convincing.. im drooling over here!

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
About 350 deg C on the stone. It varies, I like a bit of char, my wife & son like it without. So depends who I am cooking for.  Guests get stippled char whether they like it or not.
 ;D

See next post.

those pics look pretty great!

I had a wicked old school oven at our last apartment, i don't know the temperature of my stone but with the broiler, my pizzas were done in about 90 seconds.

Since I moved, we have a newer oven that the stone doesn't reach above 600F. My girlfriend and parents got me a weber performer like you have for my birthday in August. I have been limited on funds since I've bought accessories for it. I have had my eye on one of these kettlepizza makers and was wondering if it's worth spending the money on. I would love to try to make some neapolitan pies on it.

synaesthesia, what temp does your stone usually reach? Sorry if I missed it. You only use the steel on the top shelf? No aluminum?

pizzapan