Author Topic: The Kettle Pizza Grill is The Answer To All Our Prayers (THIS IS NOT SPAM)  (Read 20260 times)

Offline Elijahdavid912

Greetings Pizzaiolo's,

My name is Elijah Lee and I am fairly new to PizzaMaking.com, beyond that I believe that I have something very important and exciting to contribute to them members of this forum. Some time ago when my obsession for Neapolitan pizza began I just like the majority of the individuals on this forum was confronted with the same incessant problem that would bring all my efforts of creating authentic Neapolitan pizza to a screeching halt; I'm speaking of HIGH HEAT FACTOR! Everything could have been in order such as my kneading procedures, fermentation process, quality ingredients etc, etc. However, the standard home conventional oven that refused to reach temperatures beyond 550 degrees wasn't going to cut it. So like many of you I desperately experimented with different ideas such as lining the interior of my home oven with fire bricks and ceramic tiles, or modifying my gas grill so on and so forth. All this in an attempt to simulate the effects of a brick oven, and still my the pizza's that i was producing were sub Neapolitan. I continued to research cost efficient economical alternatives to brick oven that were capable of producing the high temperatures that I so longed for. Eventually, i came across the Kettle Pizza Grill and was excited by the reviews that I had read, specifically that users were achieving temperature in excess of 900 degrees fareignheight. Furthermore, the design of the Kettle Pizza grill was genius, everything about it sought to model the atmosphere of a wood fired oven, and at a fraction of the cost. One thing that disappointed me was that not one of the reviews or videos demonstrated how the Kettle Pizza grill handled baking Neapolitan pizza, this was disappointing because I didn't know it full potential and weather it was going to suit my purposes or not. Some individuals on the Slice forum attempted to produce a 60-90 second pie, but failed to do so and as a result they provided a negative review of the product. What, some may fail to see is that the slice experiment did not follow the manufacturers recommendations for using wood along with charcoal (they only used charcoal) and they were also working with an older version a pro to-tupe of the Kettle Pizza grill. Next, I stumbled upon the reviews that were made on PizzaMaking.com and continued to see people disappointed with either the price of the product or it's design, people had just resorted to manufacturing there own Frankenweber creation. In the midst of all this I was still convinced that this product was indeed capable of producing a 60-90 second Neapolitan pie with perfect leoparding. So I obtained a Kettle Pizza Grill for myself along with the stone and peel, and began testing and experimenting. Im going to be honest at first while i was learning this product I was wondering If I had just gotten my hopes up but then i considered why the Kettle Pizza Grill wasn't producing the results that I wanted, and I made a few adjustments. Firstly, I began to follow the manufacturers instructions with regard to the proper method of fuel, and I began to use Kingsford charcoal briquettes (one chimney) and one large wood split. Originally I tried this but failed to maintain the high temperatures because I wasn't operating the vents properly. I then resorted to using lump charcoal and was able to obtain temperatures in the 800+ range but that didn't function well as a base because it burned out in a short period of time. After, some trial and error and becoming more acclimated with the grill and the unit I decided to go back to following the manufacturers instructions and learned to close the top vent of the grill all the way and leave the bottom vent completely open, these changes helped dramatically in both achieving and maintaining the desired temperatures. Still, i wasn't getting all the results that I wanted, until i came to the conclusion that others had come to before me and that is that the dome of the weber grill is two high, so in an attempt to fix this I simply took a spare grill grate and wrapped it in aluminum foil (the reflective side facing the stone) then placed it onto of the kettle Pizza grill creating a lower ceiling height by half of what it was. I then placed the lid back onto of the unit. This functioned to reduce the volume of air that needed to be heated in the chamber which results in faster heating times using the same amount of fuel, but also brings the ceiling closer to the stones surface. Finally, it was done from that point on I began producing not Neapolitan style but true Neapolitan Pies in 60-90 second time frames. I tell you the truth this produced floor temperatures in the 850-900+ degree range and ceiling temperatures at nearly 1000+. Furthermore, just one split of wood on a bed of coals would maintain those temperatures for 25-30 min. If you don't believe me just take a look of the pictures that I have provided below, these pies were made in 60-90 sec at Neapolitan temps. No more am I fiddling with Barbecue grills and home ovens I can now enjoy true wood fired pizza, unleash until I purchase a real brick oven.My interest are to help everyone who struggled like myself to achieve sufficient heat find a remedy so they can feed their obsession. I strongly encourage anyone that is not in the market right now for a true brick oven to save themselves the headache and purchase the Kettle Pizza Grill, and if you already have one I encourage you to do what I have done, following the instructions I have provided. Stop fiddling with little black eggs and modified home ovens they don't produce the same result, they are both time consuming and expensive, the Kettle Pizza works I guarantee it. Pics are provided, Thank you everyone!

Offline Elijahdavid912

MORE PICTURES FROM MY KETTLE PIZZA GRILL

Offline Jackie Tran

Very Nice write up.  Despite the negative reviews, I'm glad you stuck with it and made it work for you.  So many folks fail with pizza making in general b/c they are not stubborn enough to make it work.   I'd love to see what others can do with this new information.   How big is your kettle grill?  is it 22"?  do they make these for 18" kettle grills?

Your results look great and I can see this as being a great inexpensive alternative to a wfo. 

Kudos to you.
Chau

Offline Elijahdavid912

Thank you very much for the comments that's all it is trial and error. Yes I used a 22 1/2 inch weber and they do make it for the 18 inch weber it's actually cheaper you can find it on kettle pizza.com. Thanks again. Btw I intend to release a video soon demonstrating all this.

scott123

Elijah, I'm glad you were able to make this product work for you, but that doesn't change the fact that, out of the box, this product makes horrible pizzas, and, more importantly, this insert can be mimicked with a $10 piece of sheet metal and a $30 stone.

So... until these folks start selling this device for $40, and include instructions on how to mod it, then it will not be the answer to anyone's prayers.

Offline Elijahdavid912

I appreciate your comment but I would like to correct a few things. First This thing out of the box does do what i did. I did not mod this thing at all, if anything i modified the high dome of my grill. The grate idea is in-fact something that is recommended by the manufacture on there site for other methods of cooking its not a modification in order to fix a deficiency in the product. What I did was strictly remove it from the box and use the fuel recommended by the inventor. Secondly, you are not ring to make this thing for 10 dollars go to loses or home depot you won't even find 304 grade steal for that much. I looked into how much it would cost to have one made and cut to size and it would cost 150 dollars. It involves a lot more then you think. This doesn't work for me its designed to function this way to simulate a brick oven. Is it perfect no, but look at ,my pies and tell me if you can do that with a little black egg or home oven.

Thanks again for the comments. They are encouraging

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
ahem...  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13036.msg130334.html#msg130334

take a look at the pics, see what you think. 

There are many ways to make great pizza, and infinite ways to do it badly.  You seem to have found a way that works for you - congrats!  Your pics look very nice.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Elijahdavid912

Thank you, your pies look really good. You are right there are many ways to make a good pie, I just am not a fan of the little black egg I think they are just as expensive price wise to build and in the long run more expensive because the fuel is expensive every time you want to make a pie, and if your baking at 900 degrees you will burn through it like crazy. I also prefer the kettle pizza because you can get a real wood fire taste with the LBE the fire never touches the pie and works more like an electric oven, at least I think so. Lastly I like the portability of the KPG you can break it down more easier. But you made some nice pies and the crumb looks great. To each his own. I just feel the KPG has received bad reviews from certain people when it is well capable of baking neopolitan pizza without any modifications or further expenses out of your pocket. I thought that info might be helpful to those still struggling with heat and who don't have the skill or resources to build a little black egg.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Jackie, please take a bow.  :P  Those pics are of his pies.

I'm still not satisfied with my crust, and have been taking a break from frustration lately.  But I'm pretty sure its my dough, not my LBE. BTW, sometimes I use wood/charcoal in my LBE.  I'm not limited to propane- it only takes five minutes to unbolt the burner from the ashcatcher... 

You make some good points about the manufacturer's directions regarding fuel placement, but I think you should have the credit for wrapping the upper grill in foil to reduce the chamber height.   I did not see that tip anywhere on the kp website.  If you wanted to pursue that a little further, you might try putting tiles on the foil to add some thermal mass.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:18:30 AM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Elijahdavid912

Thank you again for the kind remarks. Yes It was my idea to wrap it in tinfoil it required no money out of my pocket a simple house hold item and I was able to get temps in the 900 degree range. I'm also pretty sure that without the grill grate I would be able to get those temps I just find it more efficient with the lower dome. I want to try tiles thanks for the tip but haven't gotten around to it, in foil is fine anyway. What temps do you cook at you were saying you were having problems with yOur pies? What hydration is your dough at? I'm going to be putting a video up soon, I want tO demonstrate this on camera for everyone to see. Thanks again.

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
The Kettle grill can work quite well - mine is set up as both a LBE and for wood burning with about a 5 minute change over from one to the other. My ceiling has been lowered quiet a bit and is just above the opening in the Kettle Grill.

I have owned mine now for a few months now and quite pleased with it - gas does give a bit better control over the temperatures but just something about using wood. With either fuel cook times are a bit over 2 minutes. Some pies from this afternoon using coal and wood.

Offline Elijahdavid912

I'm glad to see that The Kettle Pizza Grill works well for you.its interesting how you made a propane modification to you that's a great mod. I have had  dry good temperature results with the KPG in excess of 900 degrees which brings my bake times down to 60 sec to 90 sec. That is also depndant upon the hydration I use. Thanks again though for the input.

scott123

I appreciate your comment but I would like to correct a few things. First This thing out of the box does do what i did. I did not mod this thing at all, if anything i modified the high dome of my grill. The grate idea is in-fact something that is recommended by the manufacture on there site for other methods of cooking its not a modification in order to fix a deficiency in the product. What I did was strictly remove it from the box and use the fuel recommended by the inventor. Secondly, you are not ring to make this thing for 10 dollars go to loses or home depot you won't even find 304 grade steal for that much. I looked into how much it would cost to have one made and cut to size and it would cost 150 dollars.

Foil = mod.  Nowhere does the inventor recommend foil, and, without it, the ceiling is way too tall to produce leoparding.

Btw, with this type of setup, you could be reaching temperatures that will melt the foil.

This doesn't need to be made out of 304 grade steel, nor does it have to be as tall as it is. Ideally, in order to maximize heat from above, the steel sheet shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 inches.  And it doesn't have to be welded together either.  You just take a long thin piece of sheet metal and curve it into a C, put that on the grill and then put the Weber lid on top of that, with a false ceiling inside to reflect the heat downward.

Offline Elijahdavid912

Scott, the Kettle Pizza does what I need it to do for me which is bake Neapolitan pizza. It requires no effort on my part. For less then what it cost to build a LBE I have what I need. To each his own. I prefer the KPG you the LBE, at the end of the day if it makes you a pie that you feel good about then awesome.

Thanks

- Elijah Lee

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
wow Elijah great pies..I just got my 18inch kettle grill, and I'm getting the pizza ring or insert. What I don't understand is how you lowered the ceiling by using another grate wrapped in Alum. Is it attached to your lid?? how is it suspended just above the stone but not connected to the lid...please explain how to lower the ceiling again thanks...keep up the great pies!!! I can't wait for mine...

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
I just realized I think you rest the ceiling grate on the screws that are protruding in from pizza collar..is that correct??  thanks

Offline Elijahdavid912

Mt pizza, thanks for the kind responses. I thinks the KPG has drastically
Improved my pies I can actually hit
60 sec times with it. Yes you are correct I do test the grate on the screws protruding out from the KPG. You can also try experimenting with unglazed ceramic
Tiles rather then
Tin foil, that may produce even better results.
I use foil because it's cheap, holds to high heat and is readily available. Hope it goes well. If you have any more questions please ask

Offline Jackie Tran

Elijah, you posted a video of you baking pizza in another thread and the pizza I clocked at 3m20s.  Can you really do a 60sec pizza in this thing? Can you post a video of a 60 sec pizza?   Thanks.

Chau

Offline Elijahdavid912

Jackie the Pizza that I made in the video was actually  a 3 min pizza but all that aside  yes I can intact the pics I provided are 60-70'sec pies bu they were a 53 percent hydration . The reason why those ones took so long is because I was using to high of a hydration in my opinion about 60 percent. Next time I'm going to lower the hydration to about 55 which is the absorption rate of caputo flour between 55 and 57 percent. Also that pie on the. Keep was my second one the first one I messed the transferring up from the peel to the stone and as you see my stone is a little thin so mthe heat was as strong in the stone as it was during the first timE.  It's all trial and error I  will make a follow up video but it can defiantly can in that range but I recommend working with lower hydrations. That's just my preference anyway.  Thanks again

Offline Elijahdavid912

Please forgive me my post is a little hard to read. Typing from an iPhone isn't easy

pizzapan