Author Topic: Pizza Sauce Making---Accept the Challenge!  (Read 3222 times)

Offline randyjohnsonhve

Pizza Sauce Making---Accept the Challenge!
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
I would like everyone to make their own sauce - 15oz - ...cooked, uncooked, seasoned, unseasoned, DOP, crushed, chopped - however you do yours...split into two portions...add 2-3 finely chopped anchovies to one of the portions, mix well (don't tell anyone, most people hate anchovies)...and make two Margherita Pizzas, one with your regular sauce, and one with your sauce with the anchovies added...Have several people try both pizzas and tell you which pizza is better...I think you will be pleasantly surprised...Let us know your results...Umami Baby!...RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

buceriasdon

Re: Pizza Sauce Making---Accept the Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
Agreed. I've long been an advocate of bit of anchovy. I have learned to not say what that certain flavor is they can't quite acertain.
Don
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:14:16 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »
RJmh, if you can get a bottle of fish sauce at the oriental store, you would have the same flavor without the texture, at a much reduced cost.  You can also store fish sauce in the pantry or fridge.  It is pennies per tsp and a little goes a long way.  I grew up eating anchovies and fish sauce so no doubt I would like it in pizza sauce.  Though I've yet to add any to pizza sauce, I'll give it a shot sometime.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:00:06 AM »
Thanks for the idea of nuoc mam...I already have and will try in the future...RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:19:13 AM »
.... I have learned to not say what that certain flavor is they can't quite acertain.
Don

Just like oysters in the turkey dressing at Thanksgiving.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 06:48:08 AM »
Just like oysters in the turkey dressing at Thanksgiving.

The secret ingredient in my chicken stock is chicken feet. Even I feel a certain "yuck factor" but it does make for the best soups, sauces, etc. 

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
I use anchovy paste in my sauce. Its really salty stuff, so dont use salt.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »

Just reading through this topic, looking for some thing new to try. Saw this.

The secret ingredient in my chicken stock is chicken feet. Even I feel a certain "yuck factor" but it does make for the best soups, sauces, etc. 

Chicken feet is a staple here. You can get them all different ways. Its snack food at the quick-e mart. Pickled, peppered, slow roasted.

My first week I landed I was determined to try everything I could. Kept hitting this hole in the wall next to my  apartment. Flip the menu open, and point with authority at something, like I understood Chinese.

Feet with toad, feet with shrimp, feet with mushroom.. 3 days of this and I complained to me sous, "Is chicken feet all you people eat here??"  He informed me it was a specialty shop, and feet with ___ was all I would get there.

You can tell what level of restaurant you are at, by, if they clip the nails off or not. Watching a local go through one of these , is like watching a Warner Bros. cartoon character buss through an ear of corn. (same sounds even).

I will grab one, if I am at an invited dinner, and do my best to chew the base pads off. Mangle it up so it looks like I tried. Prove my manliness,acceptance etc. But, its a chicken claw. Not my favorite thing in the world.

Solid cartilage, so, it should make great stock! Thry eating one next time.... ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »
An Iron Chef episode featured chicken feet, a major faux pas was not trimming the nails!