Author Topic: store bought frozen dough  (Read 2428 times)

Offline drummy

store bought frozen dough
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi All
All new to making pizza and have a few ?'s
I bought some froze dough and had a heck of a time forming it. I let it thaw in the fridg and set it out about a hour befor using. It was in a ball and I tried to fold it and make it form a new ball but it would not join. When I tried to make the 12" crust it just seperated where I folded it. Should I have just formed it from the way it was???  Help

Offline petef

Re: store bought frozen dough
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
Sounds like a poor quality product. I use Landolfis frozen pizza dough with great success. I thaw it about 12 hours in the frig and then about 4 to 6 hours at room temp. You might try a similar procedure and/or try another brand.

Landolfis Frozen pizza dough is made in Trenton NJ and sold at Acme stores in NJ.
The texture of this dough is like a heavy dense clay, unlike my homemade dough which is lighter and softer, but to my surprise, it makes a pretty good pizza.

---pete---

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
Allow the ball to come to room temp and form your skin without reballing, otherwise you will experience the problems you had again.
Don

Offline drummy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
Allow the ball to come to room temp and form your skin without reballing, otherwise you will experience the problems you had again.
Don

Don
Think this may be my problem (reballing). I'll give it a try.

Thanks much

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »
drummy,

I have used different brands of frozen dough balls to make pizzas.  What I found is if I left the dough balls defrost and ferment for about two days in the fridge, the flavor of the crust gets better, there seems to be more oven spring and the dough balls are much easier to open.  If you want the links to where I used frozen dough balls I can provide the links.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline drummy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »
drummy,

I have used different brands of frozen dough balls to make pizzas.  What I found is if I left the dough balls defrost and ferment for about two days in the fridge, the flavor of the crust gets better, there seems to be more oven spring and the dough balls are much easier to open.  If you want the links to where I used frozen dough balls I can provide the links.

Norma
Norma, that would be great.
Thanks much

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
Norma, that would be great.
Thanks much

drummy,

I can only hope you feel like settling in and reading.  :-D This thread is a long thread and is where I tried out Pepeís frozen dough balls and Salís dough balls.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17632.0.html  Peter went on to reverse engineer the Pepeís frozen dough ball to perfection.  :chef:

Another long thread where I tested out the Real New York frozen dough balls. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13592.0.html  If you feel like reading though those threads, you will see why I posted I got better results with letting the dough balls defrost and ferment longer.

Norma

Offline drummy

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »
Norma

Just got done with the first link.
You guys are way way over my head but maybe I can learn.

Thanks for a good read,

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »
Norma

Just got done with the first link.
You guys are way way over my head but maybe I can learn.

Thanks for a good read,

drummy,

At least you got though the first link.  ;D What I have found, is basically with frozen dough balls, if they are left to defrost and ferment longer than what is stated on the package (cold fermented for about 2 days) the final pizzas will taste better and the dough balls will be somewhat easy to open.  I never tried the brand of frozen dough balls you are trying, but would think any frozen dough balls would be better if left to ferment for longer.

Norma

pizzapan