Author Topic: WFO NY-style pies  (Read 4503 times)

Offline bakeshack

Re: WFO NY-style pies
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »
Where are you guys getting the CM and Gusto flours from?

I get CM flours direct through my bread bakers group in LA.  We usually order every 3 months or so in bulk so shipping is really cheap.  With Giusto's I think direct from their website. 

Those look incredible.  The recent run on brick oven  New York pizzas is awesome. 

Thank you very much! 

No kidding! That pie (all of them for that matter) looks incredible.

Thanks, Craig! 

Marlon

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »
Those pies look amazing!  Now you've got me craving a good NY slice. 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »
Those pies look amazing!  Now you've got me craving a good NY slice. 

Thank you, jj!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Marlon, thank you for the added info.  I'm sure it will be very useful to a lot of members who want to do NY style in the wfo, especially with style like yours.

To answer your question about the reheat.  I just toss a slice right on the stone into a corner somehwere and let it sit for a minute or two.  I usually do not have a problem with cheese melting all over the place b/c I top these pies pretty light.  

But if you are having issues, you can try this.  Place your turning peel on the hearth for a few minutes, then place 1-2 slices on the turning peel and return to the hearth.  I'm sure the metal turning peel will transfer the heat very well.   I have also use the GI slotted metal peel for reheating slices on the hearth and over an open flame.   :-D

I have a wooden peel for launching pies so I don't use the GI metal peel anymore.  

Hope that helps.  Here is a short video of the crispiness of a reheated slice.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAIfLeN-Qw&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAIfLeN-Qw&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Chau
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:14:46 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »
Boy oh Boy do those pies look delicious  :pizza: I wish there were a way you could email me two of those mushroom and pepperonis. I'd gladly PayPal you 30 bux 
Thanks........Tee

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:03 AM »

Boy oh Boy do those pies look delicious  :pizza: I wish there were a way you could email me two of those mushroom and pepperonis. I'd gladly PayPal you 30 bux 

:-D Thanks Gizz! 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 01:43:08 AM »
Marlon, thank you for the added info.  I'm sure it will be very useful to a lot of members who want to do NY style in the wfo, especially with style like yours.

To answer your question about the reheat.  I just toss a slice right on the stone into a corner somehwere and let it sit for a minute or two.  I usually do not have a problem with cheese melting all over the place b/c I top these pies pretty light.  

But if you are having issues, you can try this.  Place your turning peel on the hearth for a few minutes, then place 1-2 slices on the turning peel and return to the hearth.  I'm sure the metal turning peel will transfer the heat very well.   I have also use the GI slotted metal peel for reheating slices on the hearth and over an open flame.   :-D

I have a wooden peel for launching pies so I don't use the GI metal peel anymore.  

Hope that helps.  Here is a short video of the crispiness of a reheated slice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAIfLeN-Qw&feature=youtu.be

Chau

Thanks for the video Chau!  That looks really good!  The issue I'm encountering during the reheat is mostly the undercrust being so thin, it sticks to the hearth and gets really difficult to pull out using the metal peel.  The tip usually gets left behind.  I make 18" pies for this style so when I reheat a larger slice (quarter pie), I don't have any issues.  Next time, I will leave it in longer to get as crispy as yours to eliminate any sticking.  

Marlon

Marlon

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the video Chau!  That looks really good!  The issue I'm encountering during the reheat is mostly the undercrust being so thin, it sticks to the hearth and gets really difficult to pull out using the metal peel.  The tip usually gets left behind.  I make 18" pies for this style so when I reheat a larger slice (quarter pie), I don't have any issues.  Next time, I will leave it in longer to get as crispy as yours to eliminate any sticking.  

Marlon

Marlon
I'd have the same problem when reheating neapolitan slices, the slice would stick to the hearth like there was glue there. Most of the time they came off easy, the only part that would get lost is the tip. A metal spatula works really well for these situations. Sometimes I'll throw them on a metal pizza tray when reheating also.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:17 AM »
You guys might trying eating the tip first before reheating.  :-D  That's if the slice is for you.  If it's for a guest, you can still do that, you just might have to tell them the tip came off in the oven....

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
I haven't made this a while . . .

50% CM HG Flour
50% CM AP Flour
63% Water
0.25% Cake Yeast
2% Salt
2% Lard

Hand mixed/kneaded.  Bulk fermented for 2 hrs at RT.  Balled then into the fridge for 72 hrs.  Baked at around 700F for about 4 mins. 

This is my favorite topping combo - smoked pepperoni, fennel sausage, mushroom, fennel pollen. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
That looks awesome. I'm a sucker for a well-done pie.

I've been thinking about lard ever since I started playing with the MPO. How does it compare to shortening or EVOO in the final product?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »
Thanks, Craig!  The lard is very similar to shortening with the final product.  It doesn't have the aftertaste that I get with EVOO especially with the high heat bakes.  The crumb also seems more moist. 

Offline Vesuvi0

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 01:25:29 AM »
Those pies look absolutely PRO.

I can only imagine how excellent those have to taste!!!
Vesuvi0

Offline scott123

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »
Marlon, it's a little too much undercrust char for me, personally, but the top is the usual stunning.

I'm curious, how do you like this char compared to your previous attempt?  Do you think you'll be sticking with this much color?

You're in California, correct?  No chance for bromate?  :)  You're crumb is looking stupendous, so I don't see bromate buying you much, but you might see an ever so slight improvement.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »
Thank you Scott! I think the undercrust pic was from a reheated slice so it got a bit more char although I still liked it.  Here is a pic of the undercrust right out of the oven.  I think the magic number is just below 700F on the floor at 4-4.5 mins. 

I would love to try bromated flour if I can get my hands on them.  The AT flour I can get from NYbakers.com is non-bromated I believe.  I'm just curious what does bromate exactly do to the flour's performance compared to non-bromated? 

Marlon

Offline scott123

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
That's better. It's still just a titch too much char for me, but I think I might be in the minority.  I know I'm in the minority compared to those that prefer Neapolitan pizza.  Craig has already chimed in, but I think that amount of undercrust char would have Kelly and Paulie Gee doing back flips. Maybe. I think anyone with a Neapolitan lean would go crazy for that, while the NY leaners might want a tiny bit less char.

I'm sure the AT from NYbakers is unbromated.  You can get bromated AT shipped from Pennmac, but I don't think it's worth it- and especially not for you, with the results you're getting.  If you do, for any reason, travel West of the Rockies, I'd keep bromated flour in mind. Otherwise, I don't think you can get any more authentically NY than what you're making.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
Scott, thank you very much for the generous compliments!  Now, I'm going to do some back flips.   :-D

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
Those pies look absolutely PRO.

I can only imagine how excellent those have to taste!!!

Thank you very much!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
Beautiful!  You ALMOST achieved smell-o-vision!!!  ;D
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
Beautiful!  You ALMOST achieved smell-o-vision!!!  ;D

:-D thanks!