+2. These are some fantastic looking pies. Great job Marlon.
Marlon, I forgot to ask if you were counting the hand mixing/S&F times as (part of) the bulking time or separate. Or is the bulking time after the S&F's and in addition to the mixing time? What was the total time the dough was at room temps before going to sleep? How cold are you cold fermenting? 40F? 50F?
Chau, I didn't count the mxing and the autolyse period in the bulk time. The whole mixing/autolyse process takes about 45 mins. The process I used for this pie looks like this:
1) Mix leaven with water, add 90% of flour
2) Autolyse for 30 mins
3) Add remaining flour, then add salt and shortening
4) Knead (more like mini S&F) for 5 mins just to incorporate the salt, shortening and remaining flour.
5) Perform S&F (2 full turns)
6) Rest (start of bulk fermentation)
7) I would do another 2 full turns throughout the bulk time (30 mins apart). The last hour of bulk was just dough resting.
From mixing to end of bulk, the dough was out at RT for about 3 hrs including the balling stage. I put the balls in the fridge at 38-40F then took it out 3 hrs prior to baking at RT (70-75F).
Chau, btw, how do you reheat a slice without making a mess in the oven? I tried it and I can't even pull it out in one piece so I did a quarter pie reheat and it worked but I wonder how you do the slice reheat.