Author Topic: WFO NY-style pies  (Read 4328 times)

Offline bakeshack

WFO NY-style pies
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
I've been playing around with NY-style dough lately and bake them right before I do my usual Neapolitan pizzas (thanks Chau for the idea!).  I have to admit that I have been craving them lately.  I love the contrast between the 2 styles of pizza in terms of texture, crispiness, etc.

This dough is a combo of Brian S. and Chau's formula although I made a few revisions:

75% CM 00
25% CM High Mountain (high protein)
64% Water
20% Leaven
2% Salt
1% Shortening

Hand mixed/kneaded with S&F.  Bulk fermented for 2 hrs.  CF for 40 hrs.  Baked at 640F with a small fire going on the side.  Bake time is around 5 mins.   

Some pics.  Last 2 pics are for you Chau.  :)  I also like it when the crust cracks a bit upon folding. 

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

Re: WFO NY-style pies
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
more

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
Man, I want that roni mushroom so bad, probably my #1 combo. Great job. How long did you have them balled for?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:51:06 PM »
Man, I want that roni mushroom so bad, probably my #1 combo. Great job. How long did you have them balled for?

Thanks!  That's my favorite too.  I balled them after the 2-hr RT bulk then cold fermented for 40 hrs.  I took them out of the fridge around 3 hrs before baking them. 

Marlon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »
Marlon, those pies look pimpin' brutha.   I like the crust a lot.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:37:39 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »
Thanks Chau!   ;D 

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
There kind of expensive but some chanterelles mixed in with the other mushrooms makes it so good. If they weren't so expensive doing an all chanterlle and roni pie would be ownage.

cornicione54

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
WOAH DANG. Amazing looking pies. Drool.
20% leaven - is that sourdough? and if so - "young" or mature?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:43:58 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »
There kind of expensive but some chanterelles mixed in with the other mushrooms makes it so good. If they weren't so expensive doing an all chanterlle and roni pie would be ownage.

Oh yeah that would be the high-end version of this combo!  Definitely worth the money though.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »
WOAH DANG. Amazing looking pies. Drool.
20% leaven - is that sourdough? and if so - "young" or mature?

Thank you!  Yes, it's sourdough and the leaven was used at a very young stage just like how I would use it in my Tartine breads - 3-4 hours after feeding of a very active starter. 

Marlon

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:27 AM »
Stunning. I think this is probably close to what the legendary coal places were putting out when they were still trying.

As you probably know I'm not into crust cracking. I just say 'no' to crack  ;D But, hey, to each their own.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:48:43 AM »
Stunning. I think this is probably close to what the legendary coal places were putting out when they were still trying.

+1. I just want to reach out and grab the pics for a slice. I will be stealing this recipe, although it is just impossible to bake on the up fire in my small oven. I need to pull the coals to get a 16 in pie in there.

BTW, I may have already asked this in another thread, but how are you liking the CM 00?

John

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
+2. These are some fantastic looking pies. Great job Marlon.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
John the 12" NY style pies are just as good.  ;D  But don't tell Scott I said that.  :-D

Marlon, I forgot to ask if you were counting the hand mixing/S&F times as (part of) the bulking time or separate.  Or is the bulking time after the S&F's and in addition to the mixing time?  What was the total time the dough was at room temps before going to sleep?  How cold are you cold fermenting? 40F? 50F?

Thanks,
Chau

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
Where are you guys getting the CM and Gusto flours from?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
Those look incredible.  The recent run on brick oven  New York pizzas is awesome. 
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 01:53:59 PM »
Man, I want that roni mushroom so bad, probably my #1 combo. Great job.

No kidding! That pie (all of them for that matter) looks incredible.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »

As you probably know I'm not into crust cracking. I just say 'no' to crack  ;D But, hey, to each their own.

Thank you very much, Scott!  ;D At least I got you to notice my crack pies.  Btw, I only got the cracks especially under the rim after reheating a quarter slice for a few secs.  The pie right out of the oven, not so
much crack underneath but the top crust has a thin crispy shell and soft interior.

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
+1. I just want to reach out and grab the pics for a slice. I will be stealing this recipe, although it is just impossible to bake on the up fire in my small oven. I need to pull the coals to get a 16 in pie in there.

BTW, I may have already asked this in another thread, but how are you liking the CM 00?

John

John, thanks!  You can always do the 12" and slice it like Chau to get a large slice just for yourself.   :)

I like the CM 00 flour very much.  I think it works great with NY blended with some higher protein flour.  With NP, you can make it perform like the Italian 00 flours but you have to adjust the hydration level a bit (2-3%).  I love the flavor as well.  I prefer Caputo for NP but I can get this flour very cheap ($23 for 50lbs) so I would probably keep buying it anyway.   ;D

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 02:35:56 PM »
+2. These are some fantastic looking pies. Great job Marlon.

Thanks, Jimmy!  

Marlon, I forgot to ask if you were counting the hand mixing/S&F times as (part of) the bulking time or separate.  Or is the bulking time after the S&F's and in addition to the mixing time?  What was the total time the dough was at room temps before going to sleep?  How cold are you cold fermenting? 40F? 50F?

Thanks,
Chau

Chau, I didn't count the mxing and the autolyse period in the bulk time.  The whole mixing/autolyse process takes about 45 mins.  The process I used for this pie looks like this:

1)  Mix leaven with water, add 90% of flour
2)  Autolyse for 30 mins
3)  Add remaining flour, then add salt and shortening
4)  Knead (more like mini S&F) for 5 mins just to incorporate the salt, shortening and remaining flour.  
5)  Perform S&F (2 full turns)
6)  Rest (start of bulk fermentation)
7)  I would do another 2 full turns throughout the bulk time (30 mins apart).  The last hour of bulk was just dough resting.

From mixing to end of bulk, the dough was out at RT for about 3 hrs including the balling stage.  I put the balls in the fridge at 38-40F then took it out 3 hrs prior to baking at RT (70-75F).  

Chau, btw, how do you reheat a slice without making a mess in the oven?  I tried it and I can't even pull it out in one piece so I did a quarter pie reheat and it worked but I wonder how you do the slice reheat. 

Thanks.

Marlon

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:46:47 PM by bakeshack »