Author Topic: WFO NY-style pies  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: WFO NY-style pies
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »
Man that looks good.  Now I want pizza.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
Man that looks good.  Now I want pizza.

Thank you!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
Those are some absolutely beautiful looking pies! Happy to see someone else using Central Milling flour. I haven't tried the HG yet (I've been using ABC malted and Type 85 malted). I'll have to give the HG a try in my next order.

Barry

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

scott123

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »
Barry, WFOs have a multi-directional heat aspect that produces slightly better NY pies than home ovens, but, with your setup, you can make something very close to this. And, although you can obviously get these results without bromated flour, as you're seeing Marlon doing, if you do have access to bromated flour, use it. I don't know how long Marlon's been doing this, but getting this kind of crumb with unbromated flour isn't something you achieve overnight.  Bromate will trim that learning curve considerably.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »
Barry, WFOs have a multi-directional heat aspect that produces slightly better NY pies than home ovens, but, with your setup, you can make something very close to this. And, although you can obviously get these results without bromated flour, as you're seeing Marlon doing, if you do have access to bromated flour, use it. I don't know how long Marlon's been doing this, but getting this kind of crumb with unbromated flour isn't something you achieve overnight.  Bromate will trim that learning curve considerably.

Scott: If my heavy metal setup will help me attain pizza nirvana, I'll keep trying. ;D
Since I only use organic flour, I think unbromated is a given.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:04:40 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
Craig has already chimed in, but I think that amount of undercrust char would have Kelly and Paulie Gee doing back flips.

You're correct Scott. The undercarriage char in the more recent post (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19065.msg201489.html#msg201489) is a level I would be very happy with! A little less, with more circular spotting and a little less splotching would arguably be more in-line with old school NY-Style slices, but in this range of char it is also subjective. Looks really good to me!

Bakeshack, now THAT is the kind of pie I want to see with regards to NY-Style pizza. I've always admired the better top browing a WFO gives a NY-Style pie than the sometimes too blonde top crusts of NY-Style pies, even when they are cooked in a hot deck oven in sub-5 minute times.

This pie is much closer to the NY-Neapolitan style (NY-Elite) popularized by Totonno's, Patsy's etc. And to me, this style (whether baked via coal, wood, etc) is New York pizza.

Really like what you and Chau are doing in your WFOs. It really makes me want to try my hand at a NY-Style in my LBE.

Excellent work! --K
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:42:24 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell