Author Topic: 50# bags of Sir Lancelot  (Read 35669 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
50# bags of Sir Lancelot
« on: March 30, 2005, 05:33:12 PM »
Hey I finally found a source for these. When I originally emailed the company I thought a friend of mine wanted one too so I only asked about buying 100#.  I'm hoping shipping one 50# will be half of what they quoted me but here's their reply:

Your current price on the Sir Lancelot flour is 15.70 per 50lb. bag. The estimate on shipping for 100lb. is $31.60.
We can ship this product directly to you within 4-5 days, please let me know if you want to place an order.   8) ;D
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Re: 50# bags of Sir Lancelot
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 04:23:13 AM »
nathan, post the source if you can

thanks man!  8)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 04:29:12 AM »
This is the place:  http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com   ;)

http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/food/ItemDetail.aspx/ItemID/de5f0c58-1d4c-4e1c-adb9-9746df49e58f

I tried posting this link with Tinyurl but it's not working half the time so I switced it back...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 07:35:32 AM by Nathan »

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 08:12:15 AM »
I just got a 50 pound bag of KASL from Arizona. The company is Food Source --Phone 888-889-9282--Ask for Allan or Wes. I think the shipping was about $20.00     to northern California.   Thanks ---Mel

Offline davtrent

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 05:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the link to www.dutchvalleyfoods.com.  I requested a price quote for one,  50 pound bag of KA Sir Lancelot hi-gluten flour.  Their customer service manager promptly responded with a quote of $15.70 for the flour and an estimated shipping charge of $15.00 (from PA to NC)... for a total of $30.70.   

I checked the delivered price of ten, five-pound bags of KASL from www.bakerscatalogue.com and got a total of $55.34; nearly $25.00 more than Dutch Valley Foods! 

I also looked at the King Arthur sales portal on Amazon (as reported on another thread) to see how prices differed.   The Amazon site offered ten, five-pound bags of KASL for $57.00.   The shipping charges are structured differently through Amazon-- $4.50 per order PLUS 35 cents per pound.  This turned out to be a more expensive option for me than ordering from The Baker's Catalogue.  However, if you live in the deep South or west of the Mississippi, it may be slightly cheaper to go the Amazon route.   (Note that the Amazon site also does not give a 25 cent discount if multiple five-pound bags are purchased).

While using the Baker's Catalogue online ordering calculator,  I discovered that orders of 57 bags (285 lbs.) or more seem to be shipped free.  I haven't confirmed this with the folks at King Arthur--- it may just be a glitch in their calculator.   Ordering 56 bags would cost me $293.36 but if I ordered "just one more bag" (words of a desperate KASL junkie)  ;)   my total would drop to $185.25 because of the apparent elimination of shipping charges.   

If the 57 bag/ free ship policy is, in fact, a policy, then pizzamaking.com forum members within driving range of each other might be able to work something out.  A sort by member's geographical location would be useful.

Regards,

David

Offline wayno

• grandson loves PIZZA
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 07:25:31 PM »
The best option for getting KASL is to contact a distributor in your region (list available at King Arthur website SEE BELOW) and ask the distributor if they supply KASL to any customers in your area. If so, ask them for the names, location and phone number of those customers.  Then contact the customer and ask if you can buy from them direct at their cost.  This way you avoid all those high shipping charges (assuming you are willing to drive to the restaurant).

This is the URL for the bakers site:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flour/where.php

Use the drop down menu on the LEFT and find your state.

Wayno
At night, I either sleep, make love or dream about making pizza.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
I got the flour today.  They weren't too clear on shipping when I ordered it.  It ended up being 37.24 total shipped (15.70 for the flour and 21.54 shipping).  I just rechecked The Bakers Catalogue and it would have been 55.34 from them.  So I saved 18.10.  :-\

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 04:31:05 PM »
Hallelujah!! In the arid culinary pizza desert known as the Dallas Metroplex, I was able to locate a source of 50-lb. bags of King Arthur Sir Lancelot (KASL) flour. So, at least for now, and for KASL, it’s sayonara to King Arthur in Vermont. And for all this, I owe a debt of gratitude to fellow member Wayno.

In an earlier post in this thread, Wayno had recommended that members go to the King Arthur Professional website and look for a local distributor or user of the King Arthur flours, using the pull-down search tool at the KA Professional site at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/where.php. I found no foodservice distributor in the Dallas area, but I did find a local bakery products distributor, Dawn Food Products, in Garland, TX, just east of Dallas.

I called Dawn and asked if they carried the KASL in 50-lb. bags, and, if so, would they sell me a bag on a cash-and-carry basis. The answer was yes to both questions but I was told that if I intended to purchase on more than just one occasion, no matter how far spaced apart, they would require that I complete an application form to set up an account in their computers. Doing this would also allow me to pay for future purchases by check or credit card. I asked that they send me an application form along with a list of their products so that I could look over the products list to see if I might want to purchase additional items. I received the application, completed it, and called Dawn today to place an order for one 50-lb. bag of KASL. I had been told earlier that I would have to give them 2-day’s notice but the customer service person I spoke with this morning said that I could pick up the flour today. Which I did. I showed up at the Garland location with the completed application form and cash in hand.

The cost for the 50-lb. bag of KASL was $12.92 (no sales tax either). By contrast, to buy the same amount of KASL from KA in 3-lb. bags, the cost, including shipping the cheapest way, would be over $80.00. Put another way, the $12.92 would get me one 3-lb. bag (including shipping) of KASL from KA in Vermont.

One of the good things about Dawn is that it has manufacturing, distribution and affiliated entities in several states across the country. Also, when I first called Dawn I was told that all of their distributor locations do offer a cash-and-carry option. Since this may not be entirely true, it pays to check with the nearest distributor. The location map and pull-down menu at the Dawn site, at http://www.dawnfoods.com/?http://www.dawnfoods.com/locations/usa/texas.html, provides a list of all Dawn locations. I was also told that Dawn (at least the Garland location) might ship to buyers within the particular service area (which includes parts of Oklahoma in the case of Dawn in Garland), if the buyer calls to make the necessary arrangements and pays the UPS or similar charges. This practice may also vary from location to location, so it is a good idea to call ahead to see whether that is an available option.

FWIW, Dawn also carries other flour products, including flours from ConAgra, General Mills and Baystate Milling. Other KA flours offered at Dawn/Garland include the KA Special Patent flour, Sir Galahad, and Big-O high-gluten organic flour. Each Dawn location may not carry the same inventory, so it pays to ask or have a products listing mailed out. The bulk of the Dawn products are for pastry and bread products. There are other ingredients that can be used for pizza production, but they are specialty items (e.g., vital wheat gluten, yeast, dried milk products, PZ-44, etc.) and in large package sizes (typically around 50 lbs.)

For the Dallas Metroplex forum members (or those in the Garland serving area), the Dawn/Garland facility is at 3353 Miller Park S., #100, Garland, TX. 75042. Their telephone number is 1-800-442-9713 (or 972-485-8004, if the 800 number is in-state only). It’s easy to get to their facility. Take 635 (LBJ) to Exit no. 13 to Jupiter Rd (past Kingsley). Take a left on Jupiter Rd. and continue for about 7 traffic lights, to Miller Park (not Miller Rd., which is before Miller Park). Take a right on Miller Park and continue to the circle, and go around the circle almost all the way. Dawn Foods is to the right, with the office to the left of the loading docks.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 04:58:43 PM »
The Dawn distributer in Atlanta first told me yes but when I went a couple of weeks latter with cash in hand they said no.
When Sams sold high gluten flour in 50 pound bags I would separate it into 10, five pound bags and added a dry bay leaf to each bag to stop the bugs.
Randy

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 09:03:53 PM »
Pete--- cool deal.  Do they carry any single #10 cans of any of the good 'maters (toe-maters, that is).  They're gonna hate you when all of us (we want one bag of this and one can of that) start calling :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 09:27:17 PM »
Snowman,

I was hoping that Dawn carried other pizza products, like Escalon and Stanislaus tomatoes, Grande cheese, etc. But when I saw their product list, it was clear that they deal mostly in bakery items for the bakery trade. I was grateful that they carried the KASL. While I was waiting for the KASL, I saw several other people show up to pick up items. I hope that other members in the Dallas Metroplex will benefit from the local Dawn connection. I told the gals I spoke with at Dawn that I was going to let others know of the cash-and-carry policy and to expect others to call just as I did.

What is interesting about the KASL from Dawn is that the KASL cost me about $0.26/lb. I don't know Dawn's markup, but with their profit, and KA's profit, and the profit for the miller KA uses, the base cost of a 50 lb. bag of the KASL has to be extremely low. And the price I paid presumably includes my pro rata share of all the shipping costs. The poor wheat farmer must make next to nothing.

I suspect there are foodservice companies in the area that sell the other pizza products. The challenge is to find them and hope that they sell to people such as ourselves.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:00:49 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 12:14:04 AM »
The cost for the 50-lb. bag of KASL was $12.92 (no sales tax either).

That's an extremely good price.  The 50 lb. bag I picked up at the King Arthur store in Norwich cost about  $18 plus tax.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 04:14:18 AM »
It costs 11-14 up here in Boston.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 10:07:10 AM »
That's great, Peter!

I still have a 50 pound bag (unopened!) of Sir Lancelot sitting in my pantry thanks to Wayno! I'm embarrassed to say, but I have not made a single pizza this summer. It seems that I've been busy or out of town all summer long! Now that it's getting cooler outside and things are slowing down with the kids back in school, I'll be able to get back on track!  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 04:20:27 PM »
Another possibility for locating a source of 50-lb. bags of KASL is to call Dutch Valley, which is mentioned above in this thread, and speak to a customer service rep. I did this recently and was told that they will try to match buyers with sources in their areas that apparently take delivery from Dutch Valley. To do this, Dutch Valley needs to know where one lives and the product (e.g., KASL) in question. I had already located a local source for myself when I spoke with Dutch Valley, but for anyone else looking for a local source of the KASL (or any other KA flour or product), it may be worth inquiring. The Dutch Valley telephone number is 717-933-4191.

I also discovered that even if a distributor, such as those identified in the King Arthur professional section of their website, doesn't sell to the public, if you ask nicely they will often tell you how you might find a source, such as customers (restaurants, pizzerias, etc.) who buy from them.

Peter

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 02:14:35 PM »
I just got my KASL today and I feel like I've found the holy grail of pizza making.  I knew I could go online, and I even contacted Dutch Valley to get the shipping quote, but I didn't want to pay $30+ if I didn't have to, so I kept calling around.  The local mom-n-pop bakery acted like they were going to help me, but after a few calls, the guy I needed never called back, so I gave up on them.

Then one day my wife sent me by a cake decorating shop to pick up some frilly whatevers for a baby shower cake, and the lady there said she would look into it and call me back.  Well, a week later she hadn't called, but when I called her she said "Oh, I can get it for you in a week or so, but call Marty, he probably has it in stock right now".  So I call Marty yesterday and he's got a start-up food distributor service, and he says "no problem" and now I've got 50 pounds of pizza perfection in my personal possession! 

When I get to Marty's place (which is like a small warehouse), of course he's not there, and there's only an older lady there to help me.  So she gives me the flour and I try to pay her, and she says she doesn't know what it costs and tells me to just take it and come back and pay later.  I think Marty told me $11.88 on the phone yesterday but I wasn't sure.  She didn't have change, and I didn't have a check (they don't take credit cards).  I did leave my name and address and promised to bring a check the next day.

Then as I'm leaving the place, feeling like I'm practicaly stealing from these great people, I see the sign for Grande Cheese on the wall.  I ask her about it and it turns out they're not just a food distributor, they specialize in pizza parlors.  Of couse they won't break a case of Grande Cheese, and I have no idea how much a case is or what it would cost.  And I completely forgot to ask about tomato sauce.

So everything fell right into place for me and I can't wait to make a good and chewy pizza crust.  If anyone's is in central North Carolina and wants some pizza goodies, look up KDL Foods in Winston-Salem or PM me an I'll be happy to give you a phone number.

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
An addendum to my post right above:

I talked with Marty the owner again.  He said that it was going to be trouble to get with his accountant and figure out how to bill me (since I'm not a business) and for me just to keep the flour and enjoy it.  I tried to offer to pay him cash for his trouble, but he kept telling me not to worry about it.  So while I just got my KASL for free (beat that price!) I feel like they'll probably not deal with the public from this point on.  Whoops, hate to have ruined it for everyone else! However I feel sure, since they're such nice people there, they'd give me the names of some of the places that they distribute to and I could try and buy a bag from a local pizza shop.

The moral of the story, is that if you keep asking around, you can find your KASL.  There's too many pizza joints in this country, and too many folks wanting to make a buck, that someone will surely part with a bag if you've got cash in hand.

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 12:28:34 PM »
@ giambra

When I was talking to Dutch Valley foods about getting some KASL, they told me about a place in Durham that had it.  Now that's 2 hours away from me, so I had to find my KASL elsewhere, but if you're looking for some, a Dutch Valley sales person should be able to hook you up locally.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:29:56 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 12:34:18 PM »
Brandon:  Try to convince Marty to open a cash-and-carry.  There's a pizza supply place near me that has one and it's fantastic.  All kinds of great stuff at wholesale prices.  No SL flour, though, and they also won't break open a case of Grande.  A case is either 8 loaves at approx. 7 lbs. per loaf, or six 5-lb. bags of shredded.

They will break open a case of Polly-O, I buy a loaf for about $2 per pound.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »
poly-o is really good cheese if you blend it with some flavor cheeses.  It is quite mild, but I think you will really like it.