Author Topic: 50# bags of Sir Lancelot  (Read 35337 times)

Offline pam

Re: 50# Bags of Sir Lancelot
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 05:57:38 PM »
When I was talking to Dutch Valley foods about getting some KASL, they told me about a place in Durham that had it.
KASL available in Durham? Do you remember where? Anyone interested in splitting a 50# bag?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:30:50 PM by Pete-zza »
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 50# bags of Sir Lancelot
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 10:53:08 AM »
I dont' remember where, it sounded like a pastry shop or something, with a female name in it.  "Lisa's Bakery Delights" or something like that mabey.  The folks at Dutch Valley would tell you I'm sure.  Use their online contact form, leave your phone number and someone will call in a few days.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 12:45:51 PM »
I tried a local distributer and they were reluctant to sell directly to me and the customer they suggested purchasing through didn't answer their phone. 

So I tried Dutch Valley Food Distributors.  They will sell King Arthur flours directly to consumers.   Their price list for King Arthur flour and their sales policy is below.  You can pick it up at their facility in Myerstown, PA or they will ship.   To get a 50 lb bag to my home in Northern VA is $10.50 shipping and $15.44 for the flour, seems pretty reasonable. 

Contact for Dutch Valley is Burnell Martin, Customer Service Manager; 800-733-4191 Ext. 2319; bmartin@dutchvalleyfoods.com ; http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com .

They will send you a 213 page price list of their products if you really want to stock up on staples!

Dutch Valley Food Distributors

PRODUCT CODE 142 KING ARTHUR FLOUR
142 050 __!__!__!__!__!__! 50lb King Arthur Special Flour 14.45 EA 0.29 LB
142 053 __!__!__!__!__!__! 50lb Sir Lancelot Hi-Gluten Flour 15.44 EA 0.31 LB
142 056 __!__!__!__!__!__! 50lb Sir Galahad Artisan (Unbleached All Purpose) 14.30 EA 0.29 LB
142 059 __!__!__!__!__!__! 50lb Flour, White Whole Wheat 17.33 EA 0.35 LB
----------- ORGANIC ----------
142 100 __!__!__!__!__!__! 50lb Flour, Whole Wheat Organic 25.69 EA 0.51 LB
142 105 __!__!__!__!__!__! 50lb Flour, Artisan Select Organic 26.63 EA 0.54 LB

HOME USE AND CO-OP SALES & SERVICE POLICY

OFFICE HOURS - 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. (Eastern Standard Time) -- Monday through Friday.
Customers may pick up orders between the hours of 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Voice mail options
are available after office hours.

ORDERS – In order to efficiently process orders for shipment, we need a 2 or 3 day lead-time.
All sales are final; however, we will rectify any errors for which we are responsible. After the
order has been placed, any additions will be handled as a separate order.

DELIVERIES – All orders less than 500 lbs. will be shipped via UPS. Anything over this will
be sent by Common Carrier. Freight charges will be determined according to the amount of the
order and the distance of delivery. If you have any questions about ordering, delivery or freight
estimates please contact Customer Service. Refrigerated products cannot be delivered via
UPS or common carrier, customer pick-up only.

PAYMENT – All common carrier orders must be paid prior to shipment. Payment can be made
by money order, certified or cashier’s check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover Cards. UPS orders
can be prepaid with a credit card; or paid upon delivery with a money order, certified or cashier’s
check

OUT OF STOCK ITEMS - All items out of stock will need to be reordered. We do not
maintain back order records.

DAMAGED PRODUCT – If product is damaged upon delivery, please note the problem
specifically on the delivery receipt/bill of lading at the time of delivery. Call our office and
notify us of the problem. We will promptly rectify any errors for which we are responsible.

NOTE: We guarantee that all merchandise is fresh and saleable when shipped. Dutch
Valley will not assume any liability for products purchased for either short term or long
term storage. No credit will be processed for this type of product usage.

Revised March 2005

Offline kgbenson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »
"Another possibility for locating a source of 50-lb. bags of KASL is to call Dutch Valley, which is mentioned above in this thread, and speak to a customer service rep. I did this recently and was told that they will try to match buyers with sources in their areas that apparently take delivery from Dutch Valley."

I tried this and they will not give out such information.  Having said that, does anyone know what volume a 5-0 lb bag of flour is?  I.e. how many 5 gallon buckets would that fill?

Keith

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 05:41:52 PM »
Keith,

Your experience with Dutch Valley differed from mine. When I called it was to help one of our members. I only had a rough idea of where the member lived so I was told that if I could be more precise they would be able to tell me if there was anyone in that area that they dealt with that could be a possible source. My recollection is that if there was such a source, the member could go to that source and request the product if it was not then in stock. Or the member could call Dutch Valley directly. Maybe Dutch Valley's policy has changed, or possibly you got a less helpful customer service rep.

As to your question on the 50-lb bag, check out this math. King Arthur says on its 5-lb. bags of flour (including the 5-lb. bags of all-purpose and bread flour) that the 5-lb. bag contains approximately 19 cups of flour. So, 50-lbs. by that measure would be 190 cups (10 x 19). There are 16 cups in a gallon. Five gallons would be 80 cups (5 x 16). So, 190/80 would give us 2 3/8 5-gallon buckets. It could be a little bit more or a little bit less because of the way that bags of flour are filled at the miller's plant. From what I have read, a 50-lb bag of flour can be off 8 ounces either way. That's one of the reasons why some pizza operators weigh their flour before making dough with it.

Peter

Offline coptodd

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »
This forum rocks........first post! This is for "Pam" did you ever find out where you could get KASL local in Durham. I am local to durham and have been looking for awhile.
Thanks.....and hello to all!!!!!!
Todd

Offline Twin2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 01:23:40 PM »
When I had my bakery one of my suppliers was Dutch Valley Foods.  They deal almost exclusively with Amish stores and bakeries on a wholesale level.  I got several people here in the general Winston-Salem, NC, area on their customer list.  I don't know where you are in NC,  Brandon, but to get the DVF truck to come direct to me I had to place a $500.00 minimum order.  I often co-oped my orders with other bakers or restaurants and it helped me a lot to get the $500.00 together during the slow months!  The shipping only ran about about $40.00 to $50.00 per order.  I think it worked out to under $.10 per lb.  Even if they raised their rates in the last 6 months, that's still cheaper.  They have a fantastic array of goods and are wonderful people to deal with.

Offline Twin2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 01:29:25 PM »
Brandon, I just read some more posts and noticed that you are in the Winston-Salem area.  Me to.  Let me know when you need some more stuff from Dutch Valley.  I still have some connections!

Offline Twin2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 01:55:39 PM »
In North Carolina you have to deal with someone who has a retail operation, as well as wholesale.  We have sales tax on food and it's a real snarl for the business owner to sell to an individual if they do not have a sales tax number.  Like illegal.

Offline coptodd

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 08:28:58 AM »
Dutch Valley is the way to go....just ordered my first bag today from them....fast easy. The only bad thing is you par more for the shipping then for the flour itself!!!!
Todd

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 05:28:58 AM »
I recently replenished my stock of KASL. I use KASL as the base ingredient for Pizza Raquel.

Since I found out about high protein flours, the choices were far and few between in the Tampa, Florida area to source 50lb sacks of Sir Lancelot. So I had previously paid through the nose at The Bakers Catalog or Amazon for the privilege of buying 5 lb bags. The price per pound and the onerous shipping charges always made me feel abused.

Then, last September, Pete-zza informed me of a store called the Honey Bee. It is located across the street from Bush Gardens (actually the Budweiser brewery area to be precise) and I decided to investigate to determine if it just might be my answer. Sure enough, for $23.00 plus tax I snagged KASL. I realize $23.00 is not a true wholesale type price but, compared to what I was paying previously, I'm not complaining. Carol is the owner and "Queen Bee." She would be delighted to help any suffering home pizza makers in the Tampa area with their flour needs. She is a wonderful person to conduct business with and I have no hesitation recommending her as a source. 

My understanding is that flour has roughly a one year shelf life. Probably longer if one were to freeze and/or refrigerate. The particular 50lb sack of KASL I bought was date stamped 11/04/05.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
Dutch Valley is the way to go....just ordered my first bag today from them....fast easy. The only bad thing is you par more for the shipping then for the flour itself!!!!
Todd

Was this your contact info or did you use another number?
Contact for Dutch Valley is Burnell Martin, Customer Service Manager; 800-733-4191 Ext. 2319; bmartin@dutchvalleyfoods.com ; http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com .

After I use my (4) 3# bags KASL I may order a 50# bag.

Carol is the owner and "Queen Bee." She would be delighted to help any suffering home pizza makers in the Tampa area with their flour needs. She is a wonderful person to conduct business with and I have no hesitation recommending her as a source. 

My understanding is that flour has roughly a one year shelf life. Probably longer if one were to freeze and/or refrigerate. The particular 50lb sack of KASL I bought was date stamped 11/04/05.

hmm, It would be a 3 1/2 hr drive from Jax for me,  I could always take the family to Bush Gardens.

If I got a 50# bag, and use 5.5 cups of flour per batch of dough, which gives 3 14" pizzas and by Pete-zza estimate there is 190 cups in a 50# bag.
I probably would get (100) 14' pizza's from it, so I would have to cook a pizza every 3.5 days to use up a 50 #bag in a year.
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2006, 08:11:19 AM »
I couldn't quite remember how I located Carol at Honey Bee, so I had to go back to my notes. As it turns out, I was given her name and telephone number (813-971-7599) by an employee of Best Brands Corp., a distributor in Tampa whose name I had found at the King Arthur professionals website (referenced in an earlier post). Best Brands does not sell to individuals, but I was able to coax out of their employee a name of someone local to the Tampa area who might be able to act as an intermediary to get the KASL for pftaylor. That turned out to be Carol, at Honey Bee. I called her (after finding and checking out her website, honeybeeshop.com) and she told me that she would be happy to help. When I asked her how she handles these matters, she said that she makes arrangements with Best Brands to stop by on her way to work in the morning and she picks up the flour and brings it with her to work. Upon further cross examination, she told me that she actually loads the 50-lb. bags of flour into her vehicle herself. When she quoted me the price, I thought she earned and deserved every penny. I am also a big fan of helping local merchants. I want them to stay in business.

The moral of this little story is not to give up too easily when someone, like a Best Brands, gives you a no answer. If they sense you are passionate about your pizza making, and you can convey that to them in a nice, polite manner, they will often try to find ways to help you--either by breaking their own rules or by giving you the names of customers (like Carol) or even users of their products (like pizza establishments or bakeries). I have gotten many leads this way. They don't always pan out, but I am amazed at how nice people have been to me when I call them out of the blue looking for help.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »
Perk,

If you keep the flour in a dark, cool, aerated (non-musty) space, it should last between 1 and 2 years. Suppliers of bakery ingredients will naturally be on the conservative side when it comes to recommending shelf lives for their products. They don't want to have to deal with issues of staleness and customer complaints. No doubt fresh flour is better than stale flour, but if the price is right, you can always replenish your supplies. You can also share your flour with others.

Peter

Offline coptodd

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 12:28:03 PM »
As far as who I spoke with I didnt think to get her name. I spoke with a female and asked her if they had anyone in the Durham area I could buy a 50lb bag of Sir from.....she said no, but that I could order directly from her and it would be shipped out via UPS ground. Only draw-back is the shipping, the flour was about $15 and the shipping was about $22......two days from Penn., should be here on Monday:)
The number I called was......717-933-4191
She set up an account for me and took my credit card over the phone.....really nice. Until I can find a local source I will continue to buy from Dutch Valley......
Cant wait to try some of the recipes on this site when I get it!!!!!!!

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »
Thanks Peter and coptodd for the info,
If I really like the flour with my (4) 3# sample bags I will get the 50# bag next.
I paid $22 for 12#, and for an extra $15 or so I could get  38# more.

Sounds like a no brainer to me to order from Dutch Valley.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline coptodd

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 07:40:27 AM »
Well, I must say that I have made a lot of pizza in the last few months with alot of different flour. On Monday my KASL arrived VIA UPS from Dutch Valley. I Used the followed this formulation for a 15 inch NY Style:
2 1/2 cups KASL
1 Cup Water
1/2 t IDY
1 T sugar
1 t SALT
1 T virgin Olive Oil
Fridge 24 hours
baked on a screen (15inch) at 450 degree oven

The hardest part was getting the flour in on Monday and waiting until Tuesday to eat the BEST PIZZA ever.......If you have not tried KASL, IT IS WORTH IT.......

Coptodd

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »
I posted today on another thread on some other potential online sources of the KASL flour, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2264.msg52075.html#msg52075 (Reply 19).

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
I posted today on another thread on some other potential online sources of the KASL flour, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2264.msg52075.html#msg52075 (Reply 19).

Peter

I don't suppose any of those places ship to Canada :(  for less than the typically-encountered arm and leg?

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »
As a test, I tried to order a 50 lb bag of GM All Trumps flour.  The bag was $28, and shipping was the arm and leg I had speculated on: $130.  At a grand total of $158 not including tax, that's over $3.00 per pound of flour.  Nice :(

Alas, I fear, 'tis not to be.  sigh!