Author Topic: 50# bags of Sir Lancelot  (Read 39209 times)

Offline coptodd

Re: 50# bags of Sir Lancelot
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »
This forum rocks........first post! This is for "Pam" did you ever find out where you could get KASL local in Durham. I am local to durham and have been looking for awhile.
Thanks.....and hello to all!!!!!!
Todd

Offline Twin2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 01:23:40 PM »
When I had my bakery one of my suppliers was Dutch Valley Foods.  They deal almost exclusively with Amish stores and bakeries on a wholesale level.  I got several people here in the general Winston-Salem, NC, area on their customer list.  I don't know where you are in NC,  Brandon, but to get the DVF truck to come direct to me I had to place a $500.00 minimum order.  I often co-oped my orders with other bakers or restaurants and it helped me a lot to get the $500.00 together during the slow months!  The shipping only ran about about $40.00 to $50.00 per order.  I think it worked out to under $.10 per lb.  Even if they raised their rates in the last 6 months, that's still cheaper.  They have a fantastic array of goods and are wonderful people to deal with.

Offline Twin2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 01:29:25 PM »
Brandon, I just read some more posts and noticed that you are in the Winston-Salem area.  Me to.  Let me know when you need some more stuff from Dutch Valley.  I still have some connections!

Offline Twin2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 01:55:39 PM »
In North Carolina you have to deal with someone who has a retail operation, as well as wholesale.  We have sales tax on food and it's a real snarl for the business owner to sell to an individual if they do not have a sales tax number.  Like illegal.

Offline coptodd

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 08:28:58 AM »
Dutch Valley is the way to go....just ordered my first bag today from them....fast easy. The only bad thing is you par more for the shipping then for the flour itself!!!!
Todd

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 05:28:58 AM »
I recently replenished my stock of KASL. I use KASL as the base ingredient for Pizza Raquel.

Since I found out about high protein flours, the choices were far and few between in the Tampa, Florida area to source 50lb sacks of Sir Lancelot. So I had previously paid through the nose at The Bakers Catalog or Amazon for the privilege of buying 5 lb bags. The price per pound and the onerous shipping charges always made me feel abused.

Then, last September, Pete-zza informed me of a store called the Honey Bee. It is located across the street from Bush Gardens (actually the Budweiser brewery area to be precise) and I decided to investigate to determine if it just might be my answer. Sure enough, for $23.00 plus tax I snagged KASL. I realize $23.00 is not a true wholesale type price but, compared to what I was paying previously, I'm not complaining. Carol is the owner and "Queen Bee." She would be delighted to help any suffering home pizza makers in the Tampa area with their flour needs. She is a wonderful person to conduct business with and I have no hesitation recommending her as a source. 

My understanding is that flour has roughly a one year shelf life. Probably longer if one were to freeze and/or refrigerate. The particular 50lb sack of KASL I bought was date stamped 11/04/05.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
Dutch Valley is the way to go....just ordered my first bag today from them....fast easy. The only bad thing is you par more for the shipping then for the flour itself!!!!
Todd

Was this your contact info or did you use another number?
Contact for Dutch Valley is Burnell Martin, Customer Service Manager; 800-733-4191 Ext. 2319; bmartin@dutchvalleyfoods.com ; http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com .

After I use my (4) 3# bags KASL I may order a 50# bag.

Carol is the owner and "Queen Bee." She would be delighted to help any suffering home pizza makers in the Tampa area with their flour needs. She is a wonderful person to conduct business with and I have no hesitation recommending her as a source. 

My understanding is that flour has roughly a one year shelf life. Probably longer if one were to freeze and/or refrigerate. The particular 50lb sack of KASL I bought was date stamped 11/04/05.

hmm, It would be a 3 1/2 hr drive from Jax for me,  I could always take the family to Bush Gardens.

If I got a 50# bag, and use 5.5 cups of flour per batch of dough, which gives 3 14" pizzas and by Pete-zza estimate there is 190 cups in a 50# bag.
I probably would get (100) 14' pizza's from it, so I would have to cook a pizza every 3.5 days to use up a 50 #bag in a year.
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2006, 08:11:19 AM »
I couldn't quite remember how I located Carol at Honey Bee, so I had to go back to my notes. As it turns out, I was given her name and telephone number (813-971-7599) by an employee of Best Brands Corp., a distributor in Tampa whose name I had found at the King Arthur professionals website (referenced in an earlier post). Best Brands does not sell to individuals, but I was able to coax out of their employee a name of someone local to the Tampa area who might be able to act as an intermediary to get the KASL for pftaylor. That turned out to be Carol, at Honey Bee. I called her (after finding and checking out her website, honeybeeshop.com) and she told me that she would be happy to help. When I asked her how she handles these matters, she said that she makes arrangements with Best Brands to stop by on her way to work in the morning and she picks up the flour and brings it with her to work. Upon further cross examination, she told me that she actually loads the 50-lb. bags of flour into her vehicle herself. When she quoted me the price, I thought she earned and deserved every penny. I am also a big fan of helping local merchants. I want them to stay in business.

The moral of this little story is not to give up too easily when someone, like a Best Brands, gives you a no answer. If they sense you are passionate about your pizza making, and you can convey that to them in a nice, polite manner, they will often try to find ways to help you--either by breaking their own rules or by giving you the names of customers (like Carol) or even users of their products (like pizza establishments or bakeries). I have gotten many leads this way. They don't always pan out, but I am amazed at how nice people have been to me when I call them out of the blue looking for help.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »
Perk,

If you keep the flour in a dark, cool, aerated (non-musty) space, it should last between 1 and 2 years. Suppliers of bakery ingredients will naturally be on the conservative side when it comes to recommending shelf lives for their products. They don't want to have to deal with issues of staleness and customer complaints. No doubt fresh flour is better than stale flour, but if the price is right, you can always replenish your supplies. You can also share your flour with others.

Peter

Offline coptodd

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 12:28:03 PM »
As far as who I spoke with I didnt think to get her name. I spoke with a female and asked her if they had anyone in the Durham area I could buy a 50lb bag of Sir from.....she said no, but that I could order directly from her and it would be shipped out via UPS ground. Only draw-back is the shipping, the flour was about $15 and the shipping was about $22......two days from Penn., should be here on Monday:)
The number I called was......717-933-4191
She set up an account for me and took my credit card over the phone.....really nice. Until I can find a local source I will continue to buy from Dutch Valley......
Cant wait to try some of the recipes on this site when I get it!!!!!!!

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »
Thanks Peter and coptodd for the info,
If I really like the flour with my (4) 3# sample bags I will get the 50# bag next.
I paid $22 for 12#, and for an extra $15 or so I could get  38# more.

Sounds like a no brainer to me to order from Dutch Valley.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline coptodd

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 07:40:27 AM »
Well, I must say that I have made a lot of pizza in the last few months with alot of different flour. On Monday my KASL arrived VIA UPS from Dutch Valley. I Used the followed this formulation for a 15 inch NY Style:
2 1/2 cups KASL
1 Cup Water
1/2 t IDY
1 T sugar
1 t SALT
1 T virgin Olive Oil
Fridge 24 hours
baked on a screen (15inch) at 450 degree oven

The hardest part was getting the flour in on Monday and waiting until Tuesday to eat the BEST PIZZA ever.......If you have not tried KASL, IT IS WORTH IT.......

Coptodd

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »
I posted today on another thread on some other potential online sources of the KASL flour, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2264.msg52075.html#msg52075 (Reply 19).

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
I posted today on another thread on some other potential online sources of the KASL flour, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2264.msg52075.html#msg52075 (Reply 19).

Peter
I don't suppose any of those places ship to Canada :(  for less than the typically-encountered arm and leg?

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »
As a test, I tried to order a 50 lb bag of GM All Trumps flour.  The bag was $28, and shipping was the arm and leg I had speculated on: $130.  At a grand total of $158 not including tax, that's over $3.00 per pound of flour.  Nice :(

Alas, I fear, 'tis not to be.  sigh!

Offline joe697

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »
I contacted Dutch Valley Food Distributors in hopes of buying a 50lb bag of KASL flour and was shocked at the price quoted.  I was expecting a bag to run about $15 to $20 not what I was quoted in the below email...

"Thank you for your interest in Dutch Valley Food Distributors located in Myerstown, PA.  The current price for Item #142053 is $45.25 per bag plus the additional UPS ground shipping charge of approximately $34.00 to $39.00.  UPS charges by the total weight of the order and total delivery distance.  You may place your order on our website by clicking on Login in the upper right corner of our website.  At the next screen, scroll to the bottom and click on the new customer area.  Please complete the required information and you will be able to place your order."

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »
I contacted Dutch Valley Food Distributors in hopes of buying a 50lb bag of KASL flour and was shocked at the price quoted.  I was expecting a bag to run about $15 to $20.
Well, I hate to tell you but everything has gone up. I use 3 different flours for my different pizza doughs. Every one has gone up from $1.00 - $2.00 per 5lb. bag to what it was just 6 months ago. KA Bread flour is $4 per 5 lb bag now. I put it back, I'm not paying it. My Ceresota AP flour went up from $1.89 to $2.89 a 5lb. bag so that's all I'm using. So that price quoated isn't that far off. Thanks to money hungry, greedy Corporate America. Soon middle class Americans will be extinct.  :'(
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Shotgun682

Re: 50# bags of Sir Lancelot Long Island NY
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
http://www.icbakers.com/about.asp

Inter-County bakers in Lindenhurst NY stocks 50# bags of Sir Lancelot flour

It looks like they will sell to the public.. Call first but the website says you can pick-up COD

Pickup:

Merchandise can be picked-up at our warehouse between 8:00am & 4:00pm from Monday through Friday. There is no minimum order for pickups.

Terms:

All new customers are required to pay C.O.D. until a credit application has been submitted and approved. Credit applications are available upon request. There is a $20 charge for returned checks.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:37:51 PM by Shotgun682 »

Offline smaxam

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2009, 04:49:25 AM »

If you live in an area that has Mennonites or Amish, you might check out one of their grocery stores. The one I habituate, Pine Ridge Groceries in Bainbridge NY, carries KASL, and a lot of what Dutch Valley carries.

Pine Ridge's recent price for KASL was $0.58 per pound.

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »
Echo Hill in Fleetwood, PA carries Sir. Lancelot @ $.60/lb.  They offer discounts on whole bags, but I'm not sure what the discount is.  They're close enough to me that I just pick up what I need.

Offline PeterTheWolf

• Trying to Make the Best Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »
Hello,

For starters ... what does "IDY" stand for in this recipe (quoted below)?

This is my first time back to this forum in about 4 years ... different email address ... couldn't remember my last one used.
In any case this thread is why I am back.
I now live in the Winston-Salem, NC area and I am once again looking for the best High Gluten flour to use for pizza.
I was able to get some High Gluten flour from SAM's club until I moved to Winston-Salem but
the SAM's Club area here do not carry the High Gluten flour.
Which is why this thread got my attention.

I see that this Sir Lancelot is the flour I need to try based on this thread.  Finding it puts me in the same
position as many on this thread; however, I have found a source.
I have ordered two 50 lb bags (Dutch Valley Food Distributors Inc. ordering #142053)
At $28.06 / bag (plus tax I think).  They will come in 09/09th or 10th /2009 and I will pick them up 09/12/2009.  
I say this to inform anybody in the Winston-Salem, NC area who may want to buy one of the two bags I get.  
I will sell it for the actual price I pay.  I do have to drive 80 miles (one way) to get it … BUT it will be a nice drive.

For those who want to put in their own order and pick it up themselves, here are the sources I came up with in the last couple of days.

Source #1:

Yoder's Country Market
www  yodersmart  com

6827 Blanch Rd
Blanch, NC 27212-9678
(336) 234-8072
Get directions
Talked to Brittany 09/03/2009
Ordered two 50lbs bags for $28.06/bag
Hours are M-Sat 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Sunday 9:00 – 1:00pm.

Source #2
Ye Old Country Store
828-682-1231

Source #3
Yadkin Valley Store
Elkin, NC
336-835-1429

Source #4
Mars Hill Bulk Foods
828-689-3353
Zip 28754
Talked to Eddie Carr
$26.00 / 50lb Bag

Well, I must say that I have made a lot of pizza in the last few months with alot of different flour. On Monday my KASL arrived VIA UPS from Dutch Valley. I Used the followed this formulation for a 15 inch NY Style:
2 1/2 cups KASL
1 Cup Water
1/2 t IDY
1 T sugar
1 t SALT
1 T virgin Olive Oil
Fridge 24 hours
baked on a screen (15inch) at 450 degree oven

The hardest part was getting the flour in on Monday and waiting until Tuesday to eat the BEST PIZZA ever.......If you have not tried KASL, IT IS WORTH IT.......

Coptodd
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:24:23 PM by PeterTheWolf »
Trying to Make the Best Pizza!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
For starters ... what does "IDY" stand for in this recipe (quoted below)?

"IDY" = Instant Dry Yeast.

For more terms, see the forum's Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html.

Peter

Offline lundervold

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
I contacted Dutch Valley Food Distributors in hopes of buying a 50lb bag of KASL flour and was shocked at the price quoted.  I was expecting a bag to run about $15 to $20 not what I was quoted in the below email...

"Thank you for your interest in Dutch Valley Food Distributors located in Myerstown, PA.  The current price for Item #142053 is $45.25 per bag plus the additional UPS ground shipping charge of approximately $34.00 to $39.00.  UPS charges by the total weight of the order and total delivery distance.  You may place your order on our website by clicking on Login in the upper right corner of our website.  At the next screen, scroll to the bottom and click on the new customer area.  Please complete the required information and you will be able to place your order."

I just received the following from Dutch Valley Food:

"Good morning:
Thank you for your interest in Dutch Valley Food Distributors located in Myerstown, PA.  The current price for Item #142053 (50 lb Sir Lancelot Hi-Gluten Flour) is $25.91 per bag.  Pick up hours are Monday to Friday - 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM.  Please note that you must place your order at least one day in advance of your pick up day.  Please call customer service at 1-800-733-4191 if you would like to place an order.  Payment is accepted with a credit card.  We accept VISA, MasterCard and Discover.  Please have a great day."

Fortunately I live near by so I'll stop to pick up on my way home.

Offline matermark

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Any current prices anybody?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
Any current prices anybody?

matermark,

My last bags 50 lb.of KASL were 22.40.

Norma